:baby_symbol: Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Should I feel guilty that my kids frequently win those stupid fundraiser events and we never sell their stuff? Make it something I can give to clients and I will. Like the shit ton of candy bars I just picked up.

• ♿ (Parody)

27bdf04b-117b-47cd-8d28-b3f6a9536351-image.png

• @boomzilla 4th grade. Everybody gets a recorder.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PVxmmNh__lI

Make it stop! Oh, please, make it stop!!!

• @HardwareGeek said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Everybody gets a recorder.

except for that hoity toity rich kid. who got a violin...... that they broke over another kids head a day later...... which was a better use of it than he had been putting that violin to what with the music.

• @Vixen :eek: Where in the world did you go to school in the 4th grade?!?

• @Mason_Wheeler said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

@Vixen :eek: Where in the world did you go to school?

bumfuck nowhere, Maine.

that's why i didn't have to specify which "hoity toity rich kid" it was. there was only one with parents crazy enough to live in bumfuck nowhere, Maine

• @Vixen said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

hoity toity rich kid. who got a violin

I wonder if one could have opted out of the recorder if one were already involved in another sort of musical education; there was no option for anything else in the public school (until middle school band, which is a circle of hell all its own). Well, I suppose there was a music-oriented magnet school, or something, but none of that was applicable to my kids.

4th grade. Everybody gets a recorder.

Yup. Can confirm. I moved on to the bassoon in 5th grade.

edit: Actually, I don't remember if it was everybody, or just people who might be interested in other instruments later... way too long ago...

• @dcon said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

I moved on to the bassoon in 5th grade.

Trying to picture a 5th grader lugging a bassoon around... it must have been bigger than you were!

@dcon said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

I moved on to the bassoon in 5th grade.

Trying to picture a 5th grader lugging a bassoon around... it must have been bigger than you were!

I do remember that was one of the things that made me choose it!

@boomzilla 4th grade. Everybody gets a recorder.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PVxmmNh__lI

Make it stop! Oh, please, make it stop!!!

I chose trombone in 4th grade. Switched to drums in 6th grade.

@Mason_Wheeler said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

bumfuck nowhere, Maine.

...yup.

I kinda had my suspicions, but it's good to have them confirmed now.

@Vixen said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

@Mason_Wheeler said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

bumfuck nowhere, Maine.

...yup.

I kinda had my suspicions, but it's good to have them confirmed now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0

This morning my wife was about to leave for her Saturday morning yoga or pilates or whatever class. As she was about to leave she said I looked like I was about to fall asleep. I joked that it was fine, they could take care of themselves and I was going back to bed.

Obviously I wouldn't do such a thing.

Later she sends me a message:

Screenshot_20200208-100145~2.png

Yes, I generally annoy everyone that I can.

• @Polygeekery You're a brave man.

@Rhywden she's used to my shenanigans.

• Fake News

• My daughter has (at 3) stopped taking naps. This is fine, and part and parcel of growing up.

The problem is that, if she doesn't take a nap, she has a 50% chance of waking up at 1am, for 2-4 hours. My wife (saint that she is) gets my daughter back to sleep (eventually), but we both really wish that my daughter would sleep through the night. We give my daughter a diaper change, milk-with-melatonin, and some acetaminophen (on the off chance that she's got a scrape or constipation or whatever making her uncomfortable), and it still takes 2-4 hours to get her back down.

But I don't have gobs of confidence that my daughter will consistently sleep through the night soon. She's done this ridiculous it's-1am-and-I'm-awake-now thing for about a year, on those days she doesn't get a nap. It's just that now, every day is a day without nap.

Argh.

• @PotatoEngineer said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

My daughter has (at 3) stopped taking naps. This is fine, and part and parcel of growing up.

The problem is that, if she doesn't take a nap, she has a 50% chance of waking up at 1am, for 2-4 hours. My wife (saint that she is) gets my daughter back to sleep (eventually), but we both really wish that my daughter would sleep through the night. We give my daughter a diaper change, milk-with-melatonin, and some acetaminophen (on the off chance that she's got a scrape or constipation or whatever making her uncomfortable), and it still takes 2-4 hours to get her back down.

But I don't have gobs of confidence that my daughter will consistently sleep through the night soon. She's done this ridiculous it's-1am-and-I'm-awake-now thing for about a year, on those days she doesn't get a nap. It's just that now, every day is a day without nap.

Argh.

We let ours nap until pre-K (she's in grade 1 now) and she still does occasionally on weekends and holidays.

The other suggestion, let her stay up a bit longer. It might be worth a try.

I struggle with sleep, but if I try to go to be too early I wake up around 2 AM, wide awake.

• @Karla said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

I try to go to be too early I wake up around 2 AM, wide awake.

OMG...... so i'm not the only person who if i sleep at all between 15:00 and 21:00 then i'm going to wake up at 03:00 and be unable to get back to sleep.........?!

@Karla said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

I try to go to be too early I wake up around 2 AM, wide awake.

OMG...... so i'm not the only person who if i sleep at all between 15:00 and 21:00 then i'm going to wake up at 03:00 and be unable to get back to sleep.........?!

Nope; my wife is more or less the same way.

• @Polygeekery said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Should I feel guilty that my kids frequently win those stupid fundraiser events and we never sell their stuff? Make it something I can give to clients and I will. Like the shit ton of candy bars I just picked up.

No, of course not. Why would you (or your children) work for less than the minimum wage, when you can spend the time earning many times as much per hour? Or better yet, spend the time with your kids, doing something more fun?

...You did remember to tax-deduct those as marketing expenses, right?

• @acrow said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

...You did remember to tax-deduct those as marketing expenses, right?

He's automated that.

We let ours nap until pre-K (she's in grade 1 now) and she still does occasionally on weekends and holidays.

I struggle with sleep, but if I try to go to be too early I wake up around 2 AM, wide awake.

We gave up on the nap because she wouldn't fall asleep for them. She still naps every once in a while when she's tired, but for the most part, she just stopped napping and we finally admitted it. The biggest problem is that she's mildly autistic, and has a hard time falling asleep. (Probably a sensory issue.) While she was still in the crib, she'd take 1-2 hours to fall asleep. Now that she's in a toddler bed, we rock her to sleep, because otherwise she'll turn on the lights and play.

(Yeah, we need to train her to use the bed again. It's just hours of returning-the-child-to-bed, and we haven't worked up the enthusiasm to do that exhausting training.)

I'd swear we tried the later bedtime at one point, and she still woke up at 1am, but I can't remember the last time we tried that.

• @PotatoEngineer said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

We gave up on the nap because she wouldn't fall asleep for them. She still naps every once in a while when she's tired, but for the most part, she just stopped napping and we finally admitted it. The biggest problem is that she's mildly autistic, and has a hard time falling asleep. (Probably a sensory issue.) While she was still in the crib, she'd take 1-2 hours to fall asleep. Now that she's in a toddler bed, we rock her to sleep, because otherwise she'll turn on the lights and play.

(Yeah, we need to train her to use the bed again. It's just hours of returning-the-child-to-bed, and we haven't worked up the enthusiasm to do that exhausting training.)

I'd swear we tried the later bedtime at one point, and she still woke up at 1am, but I can't remember the last time we tried that.

What about laying with her until she falls asleep? That will keep her from turning on the lights and playing.
    Or napping together.

I do which you find something that works. Good luck.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@PotatoEngineer said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Benadryl? Although I believe many small kids get hyper from it. It's the same chemical and dose of many sleep aids.

@mikehurley said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Benadryl? Although I believe many small kids get hyper from it.

Our oldest would be one of those kids. I think it may be related to ADHD because Benadryl does the same to me. It makes me antsy and fidgety and will cause Restless Leg Syndrome.

Lil'Dude, if he has to take Benadryl you better give it to him while he is lying down because it is like a movie tranquilizer dart for him. You wouldn't even think it has time to pass in to his stomach before he is out.

@mikehurley said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Benadryl? Although I believe many small kids get hyper from it.

Our oldest would be one of those kids. I think it may be related to ADHD because Benadryl does the same to me. It makes me antsy and fidgety and will cause Restless Leg Syndrome.

Lil'Dude, if he has to take Benadryl you better give it to him while he is lying down because it is like a movie tranquilizer dart for him. You wouldn't even think it has time to pass in to his stomach before he is out.

We only give her Benadryl for car trips. She would get sick EVERY. SINGLE. TRIP. And I am a sympathetic vomiter. It would be awful for us both.

She started refusing the Dramamine no matter how we tried to mask it. Pediatrician recommended Benadryl.

Had a meeting at the oldest's school today. When I arrive I send his teacher a message that I was in the building at the end of the day so if it was okay I would just take him with me when I left. His teacher replies that he is having a bad day, being combative and argumentative about doing his work as directed. I ask the school receptionist if I can go down to the classroom. I walk in and his back is to the door. I come up behind him:

polygeekery "Are we having problems?"

The "Oh shit" look he had when he heard and saw me was amazing.

• @dcon said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

@HardwareGeek said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

4th grade. Everybody gets a recorder.

Yup. Can confirm. I moved on to the bassoon in 5th grade.

edit: Actually, I don't remember if it was everybody, or just people who might be interested in other instruments later... way too long ago...

(homeschooler here) My family all got recorders as a group at one point. I'm pretty sure I was past 4th grade, but one of my siblings was probably close. However, we already all were getting some music teaching: my mom plays the piano, violin, and accordion, and my dad plays the trumpet and harmonica. And we can all sing parts. The recorders were probably recommended in our curriculum, but my parents also got us some other instruments, too, so now I have a C harmonica, my sister has a flute, one of my brothers plays violin, and another brother plays acoustic guitar. He also majored in music with a guitar focus in college, but as part of his education, he's also learned to play the cello, ukulele, mandolin, banjo, and probably a couple others as well.

My parents also have an upright grand piano that has an iron sounding board instead of copper or brass. It still weighs about 900 lbs. They got from my mom's parents; my grandpa got it from his parents, who got it from their next-door neighbors when they lived near Denver, CO. Their neighbors' last name was Swigert. They had a son named Jack. Yes, that one. If he ever learned to play the piano as a kid, then he and I probably learned on the same piano.

My wife has an accordion and a violin, and I also have a chromatic harmonica that my father-in-law gave me after he gave my oldest son one and then found out that I play a bit. We were also pretty excited when we moved into a place and found out that the previous occupants left a console piano when they moved out, so now we have a piano. I had my guitarist brother tune it up when he visited us since he had the tools to do so and wouldn't charge me too much for it (basically a place to stay for a few days and some food, which I was providing anyways :) ).

We only give her Benadryl for car trips. She would get sick EVERY. SINGLE. TRIP. And I am a sympathetic vomiter. It would be awful for us both.

You probably shouldn't ever drive the Million-Dollar Highway between Ouray, CO and Silverton, CO. My sister was sleeping through it and still threw up. And she's only mildly sensitive to motion sickness.

Had a meeting at the oldest's school today. When I arrive I send his teacher a message that I was in the building at the end of the day so if it was okay I would just take him with me when I left. His teacher replies that he is having a bad day, being combative and argumentative about doing his work as directed. I ask the school receptionist if I can go down to the classroom. I walk in and his back is to the door. I come up behind him:

polygeekery "Are we having problems?"

The "Oh shit" look he had when he heard and saw me was amazing.

One thing kids always need to learn: Dad can appear out of nowhere!

• @djls45 said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

My parents also have an upright grand piano that has an iron sounding board instead of copper or brass.

AFAIK, the frame that supports the tension of the strings is always cast iron, and the sounding board is always wood. I've never heard of a piano with a metal sounding board, iron or otherwise. I suppose one could make a piano with a metal sounding board, but I think the tone quality would be rather a bit different from the typical piano.

• @HardwareGeek That may be the case. I don't know much about the construction of pianos. That piano has to weigh about 900 lbs., though. Every time we move it, my dad says that's the last place it will sit. But a few years later, my mom will be rearranging the house and furniture and want the piano somewhere else. And it gets moved. :)

I don't know much about the construction of pianos. That piano has to weigh about 900 lbs., though.

Yeah, pianos are bloody heavy. One of the differences between modern pianos and earlier keyboard instruments, such as harpsichords and early pianos — of, say, Mozart's day or earlier — is that the strings got heavier and sometimes longer, both of which require more tension on the string to produce the same pitch. The force is too much for a wooden frame; it would warp very quickly, if not just break. So a cast iron frame was added to support that force, and that frame is heavy. Google gives some variation in the total force of the string tension it supports; one source said 35000 pounds, and another said 16–17 tonnes (35000–37500 pounds). In any case, it has to be strong, which makes it heavy.

The sounding board is a thin wooden panel parallel to the strings. The strings rest (relatively) lightly on a bridge attached to the sounding board, which transfers the vibration of the strings to the sounding board, just like the bridge of an acoustic guitar or violin transfers the vibration to the body of the instrument. The sounding board then transfers the vibration to the air so we can hear it.

You probably shouldn't ever drive the Million-Dollar Highway

I told them putting a loop the loop on the highway was a bad idea... but would they listen? NOOOOOOOOO!

You probably shouldn't ever drive the Million-Dollar Highway between Ouray, CO and Silverton, CO. My sister was sleeping through it and still threw up. And she's only mildly sensitive to motion sickness.

Yeah, that stretch can be rough on people.

Yeah, should probably couldn't handle that yet.

I've biked down something similar to that on our way home from Bear Mountain. Obviously not as extreme but it was terrifying and exhilarating.

• My husband did something that is such a dad thing.

My daughter had a bath and he was blow drying her hair.

👧 Mom, mom, come here!

She is lying on one of the TV tables with her hair hanging down the edge so he can keep the blower on it without overheating her head.

• @Dragoon said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

@djls45 said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Yeah, that stretch can be rough on people.

Sounds like fun. Anybody know where I can rent a Lambo?

• @Dragoon Seriously, I don't know how to drive a car with that much power, and I'm pretty sure that's not the road on which to learn.

Filed under: The "idiots destroying very expensive sports cars" thread is :arrows:

• @HardwareGeek There are some spots where you might be able to hit a decent speed for a (very) short while, but there's a lot of curves without guardrails next to a cliff and a lot of blind corners, so besides risking destroying a very expensive car, you'd also be risking your own life and the lives of anyone whom you brought with you.

• @djls45

Haven't been on that route in a very long time, but last time the family trip went through there my mother had her eyes closed the entire time because she couldn't handle the lack of guardrails and the feeling that you are this close to falling off the side of a mountain. Some of those turns (especially if you are in a taller vehicle) you really do feel like you are over the edge and about to fall off.

• @Dragoon Have you ridden the Durango-Silverton narrow-gauge train? That is a real treat.
    My great-grandfather was a conductor on that train for a long time, and he was apparently sometimes a mean prankster with a sadistic sense of humor.[*] When my dad was a kid, he spent a summer living with him and riding the train with his grandpa while he worked. There are places where the train rides along a man-made cut in the cliffside, with a rock wall on one side that you could probably touch if you reached your arm out the window and an unguarded cliff on the other side that drops down to the Las Animas River. He would occasionally go into a car where everyone was looking out into the canyon and ask that a few people move to the other side of the car so they wouldn't tip the train over into the canyon. My dad said the rush back to the other side was pretty funny to see. Of course, there really wasn't any danger of actually tipping the train; those cars are so heavy that even the weight of a full load of passengers wouldn't be enough to destablize them.

[*] I think I may have told this story before, so stop me if you've heard it before. Oh, wait, you can't; this is a textual medium for communicating. BWAHAHA!!

besides risking destroying a very expensive car, you'd also be risking your own life and the lives of anyone whom you brought with you.

Thanks for the warning. That thought never even crossed my mind.

Also, from what I know of Lamborghinis, they're not exactly family cars. I'm pretty sure that "lives" should be singular.

@Dragoon Have you ridden the Durango-Silverton narrow-gauge train? That is a real treat.

I have not my parents did a few years ago and they have informed us that we need to go on it, just haven't gotten down there yet.

• ♿ (Parody)

• kills Dumbledore

Number 3 is on its way

• BINNED

@Jaloopa
    :Why_would_you_do_that:

Oeps wrong emoji ...

🎉 congratulations!