Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• Knowledge Sharing #1:

When converting an application that formerly relied on Microsoft's Data Provider for Oracle to the ODAC Providers, and have a routine which executes a CMD object with parameters, you must set the CMD's BINDBYNAME property to TRUE or Oracle will apply the supplied parameters to the cmd's sql statement's parameters in order of addition rather than by name.

Thank you for accepting my shared knowledge.

• @Medezark said:

Knowledge Sharing #1

Oh cool, let me contribute!

Knowledge Sharing #2:

When you add an instance variable to an instance of Font in Enterbrain's RGSS (v1), processing of it (most likely assignment to other RGSS objects) will be considerably slower. For example, if you draw lots of text to a Bitmap in two alternating font Colors, you will have speed issues if your Font has an instance variable.

• Hey, this is fun...

Knowledge Sharing #3:

In Informatica 7.x and 8.x, if you change a joiner or aggregator from unsorted to sorted after you have configured the session, updating the session will result in Informatica thinking you are now using partitioning. If you don't have a partitioning licence, the only way to get the session working again is to recreate it from scratch.

• Sharing Knowledge takes over

@Scarlet Manuka said:

Hey, this is fun...

Knowledge Sharing #3:

In Informatica 7.x and 8.x, if you change a joiner or aggregator from unsorted to sorted after you have configured the session, updating the session will result in Informatica thinking you are now using partitioning. If you don't have a partitioning licence, the only way to get the session working again is to recreate it from scratch.

How good is this. Your Swamp Mommies would be Oh-so-proud of you. Sharing your fav Knowledge like that.

Now I don't have to go on and on and on.

What is the World Record for longest meaningful post?

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

How good is this. Your Swamp Mommies would be Oh-so-proud of you. Sharing your fav Knowledge like that.

You know, the Coding Help forum here is filled with knowledge sharing. You should try it out.

• @RHuckster said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

You know, the Coding Help forum here is filled with knowledge sharing. You should try it out.

No, no no, madness is like a wildfire, we keep it contained and sometimes fuel it because it entertain us as long as it is not damaging us.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Excuse me, SpectateSwamp, but we are trying to share knowledge here. Please don't interrupt unless it is to share knowledge of your own.

Knowledge Sharing #4:

When running queries in Oracle databases that use dblinks to other databases, it is somewhat common to get error messages or other strange behaviour which have nothing to do with the ostensible cause, and are instead a result of using the dblink. This is especially true when doing many joins across a dblink. If you have this problem, one good thing to try is to rewrite your query to reduce the number of columns in the virtual join table; if you have a 100-column table but you only need three columns from it, join to "(select col1, col2, col3 from table_name) as table_name". This will magically fix many problems.

• Share regardlessly

@Scarlet Manuka said:

Excuse me, SpectateSwamp, but we are trying to share knowledge here. Please don't interrupt unless it is to share knowledge of your own. .

Sharers don't ever say shut up. They are far more encouraging than that.

Careful though. You will be judged by what you share. If the source code isn't pretty then look out.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Excuse me, SpectateSwamp, but we are trying to share knowledge here. Please don't interrupt unless it is to share knowledge of your own.

Knowledge Sharing #4:

When running queries in Oracle databases that use dblinks to other databases, it is somewhat common to get error messages or other strange behaviour which have nothing to do with the ostensible cause, and are instead a result of using the dblink. This is especially true when doing many joins across a dblink. If you have this problem, one good thing to try is to rewrite your query to reduce the number of columns in the virtual join table; if you have a 100-column table but you only need three columns from it, join to "(select col1, col2, col3 from table_name) as table_name". This will magically fix many problems.

Thank you!! I've been trying to figure a way around those mysterious errors for a cople fo days now!!! Your advice worked.  Not only that, it sped up my query!!!

•  Knowledge Sharing #5

When a container element has an overlow set to auto|hidden|scroll, the following things happen with respect to some common problems:

• floated child elements can stretch the container
    • top/bottom margins of the first and last child no longer stick out, but instead remain inside the container, as one would expect. 

• Greatest system I never wrote!

@Medezark said:

Thank you!! I've been trying to figure a way around those mysterious errors for a cople fo days now!!! Your advice worked.  Not only that, it sped up my query!!!

Time is the key info here. Swamp software always shows elapsed time and character counts. Because it is important.

On the Pacific Tel and Tel job. I displayed the time and cost of each database access. The users soon changed their access ways and data base costs plummeted. They didn't need me to convert the Nomad Data Base to one using Total DB on a PDP 11/70. I'm sure Rogers and Associates would have preferred the 6 mo contract..

• Nobody does "Share Knowledge" better than this - I've checked

@derula said:

Yup I looked for "share knowledge" and found that nobody out there has a clue. Not like this group who are very clued.

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

On the Pacific Tel and Tel job. I displayed the time and cost of each database access. The users soon changed their access ways and data base costs plummeted. They didn't need me to convert the Nomad Data Base to one using Total DB on a PDP 11/70. I'm sure Rogers and Associates would have preferred the 6 mo contract..

The burden of making everything efficient is 100% on the programmer. If users want to query on 30 criteria and get hundreds of results back within seconds, so be it. You better program your software efficiently. I know in the good old days when resources were very limited, this wasn't nearly as feasible, but nowadays, all of the stops are removed. Look at Google: literally trillions of pages can be searched on arbitrary criteria in less than a second... and they still give you the result count and time. We've all come to expect this, no matter what we're searching. I could give Google a 15-word quoted sentence from an obscure source and it will still give me the results in microseconds, with thousands of concurrent users and data staying current.

So, telling your users they need to change their searching habits to conform to your software is wrong wrong wrong. It is you who needs to conform your searching algorithm to their needs.

• @RHuckster said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

The burden of making everything efficient is 100% on the programmer. If users want to query on 30 criteria and get hundreds of results back within seconds, so be it. You better program your software efficiently. I know in the good old days when resources were very limited, this wasn't nearly as feasible, but nowadays, all of the stops are removed. Look at Google: literally trillions of pages can be searched on arbitrary criteria in less than a second... and they still give you the result count and time. We've all come to expect this, no matter what we're searching. I could give Google a 15-word quoted sentence from an obscure source and it will still give me the results in microseconds, with thousands of concurrent users and data staying current.

So, telling your users they need to change their searching habits to conform to your software is wrong wrong wrong. It is you who needs to conform your searching algorithm to their needs.

While that may be true to a certain degree, if they're querying a trillions of rows database on 30 criteria and expecting results back as fast as google, they'd better be willing to pay for google level hardware.

• Stupid numbers - when to quit counting

@RHuckster said:

The burden of making everything efficient is 100% on the programmer. If users want to query on 30 criteria and get hundreds of results back within seconds, so be it. You better program your software efficiently. I know in the good old days when resources were very limited, this wasn't nearly as feasible, but nowadays, all of the stops are removed. Look at Google: literally trillions of pages can be searched on arbitrary criteria in less than a second... and they *still* give you the result count and time. We've all come to expect this, no matter what we're searching. I could give Google a 15-word quoted sentence from an obscure source and it will still give me the results in microseconds, with thousands of concurrent users and data staying current. So, telling your users they need to change their searching habits to conform to your software is wrong wrong wrong. It is you who needs to conform your searching algorithm to their needs.

All the micro 'this' and nanno 'that' don't mean shit. It's about seeing valid results up on your screen.

We will never read trillions of anything. Ever. When will they quit counting and reporting these rediculous numbers. At trillions of trillions or higher. What good are they?

And they better add 'random' or you'll never see any stuff at the end of these humongous lists.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

All the micro 'this' and nanno 'that' don't mean shit. It's about seeing valid results up on your screen.

We will never read trillions of anything. Ever. When will they quit counting and reporting these rediculous numbers. At trillions of trillions or higher. What good are they?

And they better add 'random' or you'll never see any stuff at the end of these humongous lists.

While I'd rather have trillions of bytes than trillions of dollars of national debt, both are very very real. It's possible that they are indeed ridiculous, but such is life.

In any case, what on earth are you talking about?

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

So when you say "character counts" what exactly are you referring to, then? Google counts results, you count characters (probably because that's the best you can do in a program that can only get one big text file as a single result)... how is your character count any more useful than Google's result count?

• Useless Knowledge and Stupid Numbers

@Xyro said:

While I'd rather have trillions of bytes than trillions of dollars of national debt, both are very very real. It's possible that they are indeed ridiculous, but such is life.

In any case, what on earth are you talking about?

Well I can't stand 'Useless Knowledge' either. Who choses all the UK that is forced on us?

Nope; we don't want any of that Useless Knowledge on this thread. Never.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

May I remind you of the first post in this thread?
    @SpectateSwamp said:
    Step 1 build your hoard:

That's some useless knowledge right there.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

ahh.... In that case you merely need to stop posting.

• What's the operational distinction between useless knowledge and useful knowledge? Is there a metric or rubric to help us determine the difference?

• Knowledge for the Knowledgeable Phooie

@Xyro said:

What's the operational distinction between useless knowledge and useful knowledge? Is there a metric or rubric to help us determine the difference?

People nearing the end of life would have to determine what was completely useless. There is plenty of useless to go around.

What about "Restricted Knowledge" where-by only the Paleos can go dig up my Dinosaur Skin find. Boo Paleos and your we dig only attitude.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@Xyro said:
    What's the operational distinction between useless knowledge and useful knowledge? Is there a metric or rubric to help us determine the difference?

People nearing the end of life would have to determine what was completely useless. There is plenty of useless to go around.

Okaaaay, so if I ask my grandma if something is useless and she says it's not, then it's therefore not useless? This can be done.

I realize this isn't equivalent to what you said, but you didn't really answer my question, so excuse my extrapolations. Are those near the end of life the only way to determine useless knowledge? Are there other ways? If they say it's not useless, is it useful, or are there other ways of determining uselessness, too? That is, is their word both necessary and sufficient for the distinction, or merely sufficient for uselessness? Going on your remark, I have to assume both necessary and sufficient, and that knowledge must be either useless or useful.

PS, want to hear about the quilt she's making me? Guaranteed useful knowledge.

PPS, Granny says SSRR is useless (she doesn't even own a computer).

• Simple Knowledge sometimes best

@Xyro said:

PS, want to hear about the quilt she's making me? Guaranteed useful knowledge.

PPS, Granny says SSRR is useless (she doesn't even own a computer).

A picture of that quilt would be warming.

After Your quilt has been recovered and passed down a couple of times; it will be even more of a family treasure. Showing up in pictures that cover the generations. XyroSwampGrammy don't know much about computers but does quilting just fine. 

My most used knowledge: Typing

I used it lots and lots; becomming very fast. That is why SSDS is designed this way. For the typist. The Source code now awaits an even more brilliant programmer to come along and make the Interface for Swamp Search and Video.  

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

My grandfather told me he was taking a shit two months before he died. I know he wouldn't have told me that if it wasn't somehow useful to me. So from now on I'm going to publish an article every time I take a shit.

Starting now.

• And just when we think the knowledge sharing has started, it gets derailed.

• @RHuckster said:

My grandfather told me he was taking a shit two months before he died.
    So not shitting for two months is what killed him?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

If the results are ranked in any meaningful way then there is a reason the stuff at the end is at the end. For example searching on google for "mediaelement playback speed" returns about 2,500 results - the first two links at the top of the first page are How to: Control a MediaElement (Play, Pause, Stop, Volume, and Speed) and MediaElement Class both of which are highly relevant to the search criteria. If you skip forward to page 19 though the first two links are http://www.videro.com/the-composer-overview.html and http://www.pnumedia.com/research/page/31/ - how would random be an improvement if it brought those last two results to the front of the list?

@SpectateSwamp said:

The amount of information on the internet is considerable, the number of characters of information is probably well in excess of a trillion already - doesn't matter if you like the idea or not but that is how things are. The fact any one individual might not read all of that information isn't the point - collectively I would imagine the vast majority of it gets read at least once.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Exactly, this is why things like google, wds etc are popular - they get information on screen with the minimum of user effort and they do it quickly. The end user certainly doesn't need to know about nanoseconds and microseconds - the people developing the systems do need to be able to make accurate measurements though.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

What about "Restricted Knowledge" where-by only the Paleos can go dig up my Dinosaur Skin find. Boo Paleos and your we dig only attitude.

What the fuck?

• 🚽 Regular

@Smitty said:

What the fuck?

Just to catch you up to speed, among many of Swampie's bizarre antics is hunting and finding "dinoskins" which he believes is actual dinosaur soft tissue that somehow survived millions of years of decomposing and erosion. They're always just sitting on the banks of a river or otherwise in plain sight.

He then takes pictures of these skins that are so blurry, grainy, or otherwise horrible we are unable to use that evidence to prove nor disprove him. Of course, there are plenty of scientific ways we can disprove him, such as the fact that it would take the skin, at best, 5 years to decompose into dirt or oil. There were no dinosaurs in 2006, so all we can conclude is either he found some shedded skin from a snake or other scaly creature or he confused a dirty old plastic bag with dinoskins.

When we explain to him to bring them to a paleotologist for further research and testing, he blows up with this kind of post, where paleos are part of some vast conspiracy to hold the truth about dinosaurs against us. I don't know any paleotologists personally, but from what I've seen on TV, they don't look like they're hiding anything.

• @Medezark said:

And just when we think the knowledge sharing has started, it gets derailed.

By SpectateSwamp himself, mind you.

• @RHuckster said:

When we explain to him to bring them to a paleotologist for further research and testing, he blows up with this kind of post, where paleos are part of some vast conspiracy to hold the truth about dinosaurs against us. I don't know any paleotologists personally, but from what I've seen on TV, they don't look like they're hiding anything.

What is the conspiracy, anyway?

• 🚽 Regular

@Xyro said:

What is the conspiracy, anyway?

I don't know, but I'm willing to bet it has something to do with plants.

• Whoa, dude, what if like, there were dinosaurs, but like, instead of dino skin, they were made of weeeeeeeeeeeed lolololololol

• phooie knowledge

@Xyro said:

Whoa, dude, what if like, there were dinosaurs, but like, instead of dino skin, they were made of weeeeeeeeeeeed lolololololol

Or maybe like those wonderful toads where you lick their skin to transend...

• 🚽 Regular

• Unedited knowledge - forever unedited

True knowledge can have some type-o's and poor spellings. Editing does not make it better. Pure pure unedited video is best.

It's well past the time of talking. Lets get this group some unedited videos; showing off the video capabilities and Special Swamp features. Beware! After these videos you'll all want to grab your camcorders and run off on your life's mission.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

type-o's

Did you mean: Jackam-O's?

• Computing without Swamp Video is _____

Conclusion: "video" without Swamp-Video is a poor poor disorganised sob.

The operating system doesn't matter!!! It's your mpeg video player that counts most.

Knowledge sharing made possible - if your Desktop Search Engine has RANDOM.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

It's funny you draw this conclusion after everyone else here has said pretty much the opposite.

@SpectateSwamp said:

The operating system doesn't matter!!!

Only in the off chance that you [i]would[/i] want to use SSRR. So yeah, OS doesn't matter.

@SpectateSwamp said:

• A Desktop Search Engine has many tasks. Knowledge sharing is none of them.
    • Its main task is to find files on your computer based on file name / metadata / contents.
    • SSRR cannot fulfill this task. It only searches content of a single text file.
    • A random feature cannot improve the results of a real Desktop Search Engine.
    • Random can only improve the results of SSRR because [i]it cannot search for files[/i].

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I am fairly sure that conclusion only applies to yourself, no sane person would consider SSRR to be a decent video tool. Just about all of it's video related functionality can easily be recreated without the need to use SSRR's torturous interface and the horrible flickery screen between clips.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Random is a fun gimmick that is suitable for slide shows and music playback, it has very little use in actually being productive when trying to find information.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

True knowledge can have some type-o's and poor spellings. Editing does not make it better.

If it has spelling errors, editing it by correcting them will, in fact, make it better.

The whole process of editing has the goal of making the content better. It does not always succeed (as witness some of the front page articles on this site), but in general it succeeds much more than it fails. This is why publishers continue to employ editors.

If you find that editing your videos or other documents does not improve them, that only indicates that you are not a skilled editor. It does not mean that editing is not a useful process.

• Also, if your rants were free of spelling errors and grammatical confusion, it would stand a greater chance of being correctly machine translated into other languages. And then the whole planet can share in the joy of your bountiful knowledge hoard!

• Freedom of incorrect Speech and poor spelling

@Xyro said:

Also, if your rants were free of spelling errors and grammatical confusion, it would stand a greater chance of being correctly machine translated into other languages. And then the whole planet can share in the joy of your bountiful knowledge hoard!

The perfect perfects and schoolmarms would mute those of us that didn't meet their standards. Don't let them quiet you my Swampies. We can read and understand; mis-spellings and poor English very well. Sometimes these language faux pas even add something. Call it a funny side. Lighten up PP's and SM's. Share knowledge recklessly.

Digital Video without Swamp Video. A sad sad affair. Computers without DV even worse.

1. As strange as it may seem, there are a few people in this world that don't speak English. They would benefit from translations, and the translators benefit from correct spelling and grammar. I'm not even going to bother to argue the point that good grammar helps communication within English speaking groups. Clearly, asking you "what??" hasn't sunk in yet. On that note,
    2. What is a schoolmarm?

3. @SpectateSwamp said:

The perfect perfects and schoolmarms would mute those of us that didn't meet their standards. Don't let them quiet you my Swampies. We can read and understand; mis-spellings and poor English very well. Sometimes these language faux pas even add something. Call it a funny side. Lighten up PP's and SM's. Share knowledge recklessly.
      So you are advocating the sharing of knowledge by means of a proprietary kind of English? One that is hard enough for native speakers to follow, never mind non-native speakers and attempts at automatically translating the text. 

Using correct spellings and grammar makes it easier to be understood  - surely this is going to enable better sharing of knowledge.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Digital Video without Swamp Video. A sad sad affair.
      Given the punctuation and capitalisation used I will interpret that as two separate points. Firstly the sentence "Digital Video without Swamp Video" I will assume to mean you are advocating the use of a video player other than SSRR - congratulations on finally agreeing with everyone else here! The second sentence seems a somewhat terse and melancholy opinion of a failed romance - good to see you now sharing a sort of poetry with us as well. 

4. Knoledge Sharing (val = que.nextval) :Schoolmarm is a term for a woman schoolteacher, especially one considered too proper and old-fashioned, usually also a spinster (unmarried woman long past the usual marrying age)

5. Spectate, I guarantee you there are absolutely no schoolmarms present in these forums, much less this thread.

6. @SpectateSwamp said:

@Eternal Density said:

An Ode for a Swamp Shack:

Now that this thread has reached accommodating
      Recent posts show crayon abbreviating
      Getting the sharing bug it's well past time hear
      Another "thread" ya just can't stop blood austere
      You start' i see it as a protest thread very
      Injustices re'enacted not actuary
      Involved portraying the perps with my bent
      There ready to have screen re'shoots bright invent

You'd definitely win some type of an trance
      That video rhucksterswamp best tended expanse
      Reshoot reshoot of today when you can tough
      And do shit it's great that is what mettle stuff
      For right' the digital video latex
      Sure use some of you swampies foster latex
      Was the wrong place to start such a thread express
      Just about everywhere has duckbill less
      Options boo to the internet banners who stale
      We'll call them out too i could do sol curtail
      Of my first 100 posts here a keep screen oppressed
      All my posts it wouldn't objectivity ingest

I see cheepo dvd players for 30 each pout
      Of them had a rc wize pill roundabout
      Provide the features the swampies need or log
      Up on history's scrap heap good'bye bend bog
      As i've been telling you over and misread
      Rc is the key feature for venerate fried
      A note the lower the boom app not one sheen
      Top 10 of all time i gage aquamarine
      The name while working at prince albert pulp and sweet
      Computer was extremely tract incomplete
      Was due for replacement in a short time wreak
      Contractor i had agriculturalist eke

Don't give us any of the follow this spot
      How about an explanation staid cannot
      As how important an etl extract barnstormed
      / conversion dump program is howl performed
      Programmer not just me a simple change stain
      New record can be output to took sustain
      File with file renaming on completion sink
      Primitive accounting system all tanned kink
      And with goto's and line numbers if you sew
      Tell us what your program does i axe elbow
      Or 3 other brilliant solutions that free
      It in the top 10 but you rope addressee

What are you saying having a girl friend killed
      Stupid or maybe i would be too whoop balled
      A "honey do list" to be spreading raider
      This nobody wants to challenge bone spader
      Making any allowances for tv bisque
      Are doing video well diplomatique
      Like dumb terminals in the old days you form
      Control over videos like you torn swarm
      Displaying them on a computer soon curd
      Will be computer controlled mock ladybird
      Stone popped out of a gravel crusher in panned
      Pops out of gravel crushers the shall command

Now that is Just pure B.S. talk. Plant Plant Plant....

Would you like to know how I made that? I copied several of YOUR recent posts into a poem generator. Yep, every word of that 'pure B.S. talk' is YOURS.