How not to handle Managed Services

• I've noticed a rather disturbing trend among companies lately where the company you interview for a job with is actually a subsidiary company, yet you aren't told this. So for example you interview with what you think is the IT department of Initech Corp, seller of widgets, and the interview is handled as though you were interviewing in an IT department, only when you are hired you find out that you REALLY work for Intertrode Solutions, which is owned by the same people as Initech and provides "widget selling technology solutions" to other companies that sell widgets, as well as providing services and support for Initech itself which means that the workers of Intertrode Solutions process the sales for Initech and ALSO process sales for other companies, IT supports both Initech users and other companies, etc. There's never any distinction between the two companies even if they're 100% different, because the on-paper President of Intertrode is the COO of Initech or some such. So you end up with Initech users treating you as if you were (still) the IT department, with managers putting in ticket requests and then expecting immediate turnaround, Initech people deciding what your priorities are and when they should be due... when in a normal managed services/consulting company, your clients usually don't just hand you a list of things and say "Get this done by X date", since they are CLIENTS.

Very frustrating, doubly so when it seems to never actually be mentioned at the interview that it's a separate company that does the majority of its work for the original company. And invariably it's always run the same way, like it was one single company even if it's not, because hey the same people are mangers in both.

[mod - changed formatting to reflect the intentions of the OP. Yes, it's still a wall of text. - PJH]

• Your post may have been interesting but I gave up after half a line of alljumbleduptogetherwordsinasingleparagraph.

Try using <p> and </p> to break up the lines.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

I've noticed a rather disturbing trend among companies lately where the company you interview for a job with is actually a subsidiary company, yet you aren't told this.

So for example you interview with what you think is the IT department of Initech Corp, seller of widgets, and the interview is handled as though you were interviewing in an IT department, only when you are hired you find out that you REALLY work for Intertrode Solutions, which is owned by the same people as Initech and provides "widget selling technology solutions" to other companies that sell widgets, as well as providing services and support for Initech itself which means that the workers of Intertrode Solutions process the sales for Initech and ALSO process sales for other companies, IT supports both Initech users and other companies, etc.

There's never any distinction between the two companies even if they're 100% different, because the on-paper President of Intertrode is the COO of Initech or some such.

So you end up with Initech users treating you as if you were (still) the IT department, with managers putting in ticket requests and then expecting immediate turnaround, Initech people deciding what your priorities are and when they should be due... when in a normal managed services/consulting company, your clients usually don't just hand you a list of things and say "Get this done by X date", since they are CLIENTS.

Very frustrating, doubly so when it seems to never actually be mentioned at the interview that it's a separate company that does the majority of its work for the original company. And invariably it's always run the same way, like it was one single company even if it's not, because hey the same people are mangers in both.

WallOfText made readable.

• Thanks Rhywden

I was wrong - it wasn't that interesting.

• MAYBEHISENTERKEYDIDNOTFUNCTIONPROPERLYWHOWILLTELL.

• You're thinking of his space key. I suspect it's his "<", "p", "/" and ">" keys that are bust.

• Then wouldn't it have read:

I've noticed a rather disturbing trend among comanies lately where the comany you interview for a job with is actually a subsidiary comany, yet you aren't told this. So for examle you interview with what you think is the IT deartment of Initech Cor, seller of widgets, and the interview is handled as though you were interviewing in an IT deartment, only when you are hired you find out that you REALLY work for Intertrode Solutions, which is owned by the same eole as Initech and rovides "widget selling technology solutions" to other comanies that sell widgets, as well as roviding services and suort for Initech itself which means that the workers of Intertrode Solutions rocess the sales for Initech and ALSO rocess sales for other comanies, IT suorts both Initech users and other comanies, etc. There's never any distinction between the two comanies even if they're 100% different, because the on-aer resident of Intertrode is the COO of Initech or some such. So you end u with Initech users treating you as if you were (still) the IT deartment, with managers utting in ticket requests and then execting immediate turnaround, Initech eole deciding what your riorities are and when they should be due... when in a normal managed servicesconsulting comany, your clients usually don't just hand you a list of things and say "Get this done by X date", since they are CLIENTS. Very frustrating, doubly so when it seems to never actually be mentioned at the interview that it's a searate comany that does the majority of its work for the original comany. And invariably it's always run the same way, like it was one single comany even if it's not, because hey the same eole are mangers in both.

...?

• @Alargule said:

MAYBEHISENTERKEYDIDNOTFUNCTIONPROPERLYWHOWILLTELL.

If you're using Chrome you can press Enter all day long. Will end up as a wall of text anyway because for some arcane reason, CS doesn't convert newlines to <p> in Chrome.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Rhywden said:

because for some arcane reason, CS doesn't convert newlines to <p> in Chrome.
    It's because the ancient version of tinymce used on here doesn't recognise Chrome and defaults to the plain text editor which requires explicit <p></p> or <br />

• @skotl said:

Your post may have been interesting but I gave up after half a line of alljumbleduptogetherwordsinasingleparagraph.

Yeah... forum software doesn't recognized line breaks in Chrome for whatever reason, and I always forget to use tags because on every other browser it interprets line breaks as paragraphs.

• @skotl said:

You're thinking of his space key. I suspect it's his "<", "p", "/" and ">" keys that are bust.

Who in their right mind closes their P tags.

• Considered Harmful

@gu3st said:

@skotl said:
    You're thinking of his space key. I suspect it's his "<", "p", "/" and ">" keys that are bust.

Who in their right mind closes their P tags.

I don't qualify; I'm in my left mind.

• @PJH said:

It's because the ancient version of tinymce used on here doesn't recognise Chrome and defaults to the plain text editor which requires explicit <p></p> or <br />
    Ah, thank you. I was puzzled that sometimes I get the WYSI(sorta)WYG editor, and sometimes get the plain text editor, but hadn't noticed the correlation with which browser I'm using at the time.

• @skotl said:

Your post may have been interesting but I gave up after half a line of alljumbleduptogetherwordsinasingleparagraph.

I occasionally hit the [enter] key on my keyboard.  That works for me.

However, I don't use Chrome, which seems to be the real problem here.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@PJH said:

Ah, thank you. I was puzzled that sometimes I get the WYSI(sorta)WYG editor, and sometimes get the plain text editor, but hadn't noticed the correlation with which browser I'm using at the time.

The term is WYSIWTF

• @El_Heffe said:

@skotl said:

Chrome is a great browser! Don't get me wrong Firefox is good too, but I've preferred chrome more and more latelyand haven't had a reason to use Firefox.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

@El_Heffe said:

@skotl said:

Chrome is a great browser! Don't get me wrong Firefox is good too, but I've preferred chrome more and more latelyand haven't had a reason to use Firefox.

I stopped using FireFox as my primary browser several years ago, and from what I can tell, it's sliding rapidly into a big pile of shit.

• It doesn't really recognize any browser other than Firefox or IE, but I've found that if you set Opera 12 to "mask as Firefox" you get the WYSIWYG editor and it seems to work almost better than in Firefox (no backspace bug, but preview tab doesn't work).

I'm pretty sure the whole thing could be fixed by changing a variable somewhere in the Javascript.

@anonymous234 said:

fixed by changing
    Not gonna happen. We've had this conversation before.

• Garbage Person

@ObiWayneKenobi said:

when in a normal managed services/consulting company, your clients usually don't just hand you a list of things and say "Get this done by X date", since they are CLIENTS.

HahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahHAHAHHASHSAHDHASHASDui383i8ijksd. <gunshot>

• @PJH said:

@anonymous234 said:
    fixed by changing
    Won't happen (i.e., don't want to) or can't happen (i.e., not possible)??

@El_Heffe said:

@PJH said:

@anonymous234 said:
    fixed by changing

More the former than the latter.

• Considered Harmful

@PJH said:

@El_Heffe said:

@PJH said:

@anonymous234 said:
    fixed by changing

I still say Alex should open source the forums and let us tinker with it.

• @PJH said:

I still don't fully understand the reasons behind it, since I thought the MCE wasn't actually a part of CS so could be swapped in/out as needed - it's not like you're rewriting CS, it's more upgrading a plugin.

Surely that'd save time taken for mods to reformat posts (and also reduce the editor annoyance bugs).

• @joe.edwards said:

I still say Alex should open source the forums and let us tinker with it.
    What could possibly go wrong? It's not like anybody here gets mischievous.

@Cassidy said:

I still don't fully understand the reasons behind it, since I thought the MCE wasn't actually a part of CS so could be swapped in/out as needed - it's not like you're rewriting CS, it's more upgrading a plugin.
    I imagine there's some CS browser sniffing code that would need also to change in order to enable the MCE for chrome (in fact that's probably all that would need to change, rather than simply upgrading the MC module.)
    @Cassidy said:
    Surely that'd save time taken for mods to reformat posts
    I rather think it would take longer to go spelunking though the CS code, changing and testing code etc than, say, the entire time I've spent reformatting others' posts - it's (the editing that is) not something that happens that often.

• @PJH said:

I rather think it would take longer to go spelunking though the CS code, changing and testing code etc than, say, the entire time I've spent reformatting others' posts - it's (the editing that is) not something that happens that often.

^

• @skotl said:

Adding useless end tags won't do anything but make the web slower*.

* watch the video to see Stuffy Nose and Fun Tools Kevin explain this technique.

• @PJH said:

You are like Big Pharma who does not want to find a cure for AIDS because it would kill the tritherapy business.

• @Buttembly Coder said:

@HardwareGeek said:

@PJH said:

The term is WYSITRWTF

FTFY

@Ronald said:

@PJH said:

You are like Big Pharma who does not want to find a cure for AIDS because it would kill the tritherapy business.

No, I'm really not.