Apple Fail

• @blakeyrat said:

@Gazzonyx said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Gazzonyx said:
    Everything in the OS is multithreaded.

I don't follow. What does Haiku multithread that any other modern OS doesn't?

I have to look into it again, but IIRC everything in was built to run in its own thread. I think it has some kind of tweaked scheduler/threading model for handling this. I am talking out of my butt, though, since I haven't even looked at the project in two years. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

It's BeOS.

Just say "it's BeOS" and instantly everybody knows all they need to know about it. And if you don't know anything about BeOS, and you work in IT, shame on you.

Sheesh.

To be fair, Beos was a bit before my time; I'm 27. :/

• @Gazzonyx said:

I'm hoping anybody who's even had a passing interest in IT-like topics would spend the time to research alternate OSes, God knows there's few enough of them. But mostly I was thinking my head, "everything in Haiku is threaded-- well duh, it's based on BeOS and everything in BeOS was threaded."

• @Gazzonyx said:

I'm also 27 and I played with BeOS back in the mid-to-late 90s. I still don't get the whole "pervasive multithreading" thing. Modern OSes multithread where it's useful and don't where it's not. I'm really not sure how BeOS differs.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@morbiuswilters said:

@ASheridan said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @mott555 said:
    WTF
    #2 is why would the devs just let the OS lock up instead of informing me that my
    WPA2 password was entered incorrectly?
    That's the Linux way.

It's not the Linux way, clearly you don't know what the hell you're talking
    about.
    Yes, the Linux Way is to produce mediocre software that does
    stuff like lock up instead of handling errors properly.

Erm - are talking about '1st' party software or 3rd party software here? I hope the conversation is about 3rd party... (And what is 2nd party in this analogy?)

• @PJH said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @ASheridan said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @mott555 said:
    WTF
    #2 is why would the devs just let the OS lock up instead of informing me that my
    WPA2 password was entered incorrectly?
    That's the Linux way.

It's not the Linux way, clearly you don't know what the hell you're talking
    about.
    Yes, the Linux Way is to produce mediocre software that does
    stuff like lock up instead of handling errors properly.

Erm - are talking about '1st' party software or 3rd party software here? I hope the conversation is about 3rd party... (And what is 2nd party in this analogy?)

It seems like 1st and 3rd party are kind of hard to define in Linux. Linux is just a kernel so everything else is technically 3rd party. However, we're talking specifically about desktop Linux here, so 1st party would be the distro but most distros include thousands upon thousands of packages so there isn't a lot of 3rd party software. Basically, in terms of quality:

Kernel: good quality

Common server daemons (Apache, nginx, MySQL, Postgres): pretty-good-to-good quality

System libraries (glibc, etc.): mediocre

Anything desktop related: mediocre-to-shitty

• @PJH said:

And what is 2nd party in this analogy?

The 2nd party is you.

• @serguey123 said:

It is very hard to find an antivirus that works and doesn't take your computer hostage, I tried Avira and found it tolerable

i used avira as well for years, its great ...

when i got a new computer i switched to ms security essentials and i cant believe it came from microsoft its very good ...