Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition

• @FrostCat said:

By the way, those are apparently real. The supermarket closest to me uses those and there are frequently a small pile of carts in front of them, so I tried moving one across the line recently, and a wheel does, in fact, lock up.

I assume there's an induction coil, which makes me wonder if you could go over the island instead, but I have no desire to steal a shopping cart.

Here in San Diego, pretty much every grocery store has them. Since the weather is always nice, we have a lot of homeless, who would love to use them...

• @FrostCat said:

by putting up signs that say "INCOMING TRAFFIC HAS RIGHT OF WAY" and more prominent stop lines.

That's a thought........pretty sure this intersection doesn't have those signs.

• @chubertdev said:

UCSD, I'm guessing? Or the temple? 😆

Nope, just an office building nearby. I walk to that plaza for lunch some days.

For a long time I thought you might secretly be one of my coworkers but at some point you said something to make me discount it. I had mixed feelings afterward.

• @fwd said:

Nope, just an office building nearby. I walk to that plaza for lunch some days.

For a long time I thought you might secretly be one of my coworkers but at some point you said something to make me discount it. I had mixed feelings afterward.

I work up in North County, although I have worked down in Keaney Mesa and Sorrento Valley before...

But yeah, my wife went to UCSD, hence why the place that we live in is so close.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I got to witness someone rejoin a motorway from the exit slip road earlier.
    They'd actually left, then turned back and driven over the hashed bit, rejoining by going half way into lane 2.

• I just realized that if you filter this thread by my posts, there are probably a dozen or so locations that you'd recognize.

• Might at well add my own anecdote while I'm here: last weekend a friend and I carpooled up to LA in his car. We get on the 5 north, which has 4 lanes, and he immediately goes into the left lane. He stays there until we need to exit 2 hours later. There were cars directly ahead of us the whole way, and there was no reason or advantage to him being in the outside lane. In fact, we could have made better time had he picked a line through traffic to use the vast swaths of open spaces in other lanes at various times during the trip. I don't believe he ever considered the left lane might not be the ideal place for him to be.

• Here's another one I just remember. Twice I have seen people turn their cars up this ramp:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8703275,-117.2262823,3a,60.8y,13.36h,68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sX3ldpda2aSWoWblJpZOKXg!2e0

It's wheelchair access between the road and sidewalk. The one guy almost made it to the handrail at the steps before he figured it out.

I do not know how to box that link up and discourse won't let me upload an image for it. Fantastic.

• @mott555 said:

Basically they're three Canadian dudes living in a dysfunctional trailer park and the whole show is about the dumb stuff they do in between jail terms.

Sounds like a real winner!

• It was actually pretty funny but I thought the premise got old fast.

• @FrostCat said:

signs that say "INCOMING TRAFFIC HAS RIGHT OF WAY"

The ones I've seen usually say something like "INCOMING TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP" because, I suspect, too many idiots can't be trusted to understand the significance of "HAS RIGHT OF WAY."

• @fwd said:

I do not know how to box that link up

That's a Discourse thing, not something you can do, and it the site has to be whitelisted for Discourse to do it.

@fwd said:

discourse won't let me upload an image for it

You're brand new here, but I see you're already a "basic" user, so you should be able to now.

@HardwareGeek said:

The ones I've seen usually say something like "INCOMING TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP" because, I suspect, too many idiots can't be trusted to understand the significance of "HAS RIGHT OF WAY."

Dickweedish pendantry flag because the actual text isn't really that important to the story.

• @HardwareGeek said:

The big mall in my last town had those signs, attached to the stop sign, for those leaving the property, as well as "KEEP MOVING" signs for those entering the property. It was still a cluster most of the time.

• @fwd said:

The big mall in my last town had those signs ... It was still a cluster most of the time.

The usefulness of any sign is limited by the probability of people reading, understanding, and obeying the sign. Sadly, that probability is significantly less than 1.0.

@chubertdev said:

shopping plaza

They're usually more WTFy than public roads precisely because they're privately owned by people who consider the parking to be purely a cost of doing business and so spend as little on it as they can get away with. Public roads, by comparison, are usually run by people who want to cut down the number of accidents and keep things moving as well as reduce the cost of maintenance.

• People who go to borderline reckless (sometimes not borderline) lengths to overtake me while I'm accelerating after a junction, and then end up driving the same speed as me.

I drive an elderly Ford Fiesta: its acceleration leaves a lot to be desired. But I stay in a low gear and I can get up to speed in a non-ridiculous amount of time and by the time the person's pulled out I'm usually nearly there. Unless of course I then have to slow down because the idiot's already well over the speed limit to try to get past before the oncoming traffic arrives, and I'm not going to make it harder for them to get back in safely (which they clearly aren't willing to do unless it's in front of me) just to make a point.

If it's right after a junction - especially if it's slightly uphill, and the car is tiny and old, they're probably not going at 40 in a 60 zone because they intend to drive 20 below the limit.

• Santo Road off the 52 West:

• BINNED

Slowing down a mile before the desired exit.

• This post is deleted!

• BINNED

I like @reverendryan's version better.

@antiquarian said:

Slowing down a mile before the desired exit.

The heavier the traffic, the sooner you have to get in lane.

• Using the blinkers wrong.

Where I live in France, even the police or driving schools do these :
    (most common first)

• Not using it at all.
    • Using it (left) to mean they stay on a roundabout, not when they leave it.
    • Using it the very moment they turn.
    • Using it one (or more) crossing before where they turn.

That last one is very toxic.

• I see very few cars that are parallel parked on the side of a street use their blinker to enter traffic.

• @Musaran said:

Using the blinkers wrong.

Where I live in France, even the police or driving schools do these :(most common first)

• Not using it at all.

I should think not! Blinkers seriously obstruct your peripheral vision.

• @chubertdev said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    I sometimes think of an SF story I read a long time ago [...] in which road rage has become a competitive sport, and even family sedans are equipped with at least defensive weaponry.

Or else I dream of having a tank and just driving over them.

Snow Crash?

Pretty sure it would be "Why Johnny Can't Speed", by Alan Dean Foster.

(Edit: Apparently not, from the expanded information given later in the thread. See, Discourse, this is why I like to start a reply when I'm at the post I want to reply to, and then put it aside for later when I've caught up with any other relevant bits.)

• BINNED

@Musaran said:

Where I live in France

You didn't mention the annoying French habit of keeping the left blinker on while driving on the highway in the left lane. Where are you guys going?

• @Musaran said:

Where I live in France, even the police or driving schools do these :
    (most common first)

• Not using it at all.
    • Using it (left) to mean they stay on a roundabout, not when they leave it.
    • Using it the very moment they turn.
    • Using it one (or more) crossing before where they turn.

That last one is very toxic.

Drivers everywhere do any or all of those things. There's nothing special about France in that list.

• ♿ (Parody)

• Blinkers magically create safe passage, amirite?

Also, not using blinkers to change lanes?

Not even an offense in my state.

👱 "You should!"
    😛 "Nyaaa.... Don't have to!! "
    👱 "Sigh. No, you don't...dang."

• BINNED

@dkf said:

The heavier the traffic, the sooner you have to get in lane.

Not in Texas. Here drivers have the right to get into the exit lane at the last minute (or even after the last minute), or at least they act like they do.

• Ran into some complete douche canoe this morning. I was going about 65 mph and this little white car started tailgating me. When I mean tailgating, I mean tailgating. I could not see any part of his vehicle except for the radio antenna!

Eventually he passed me (on the right....sigh) and I saw that only his windshield was defrosted. The rear and side windows were totally iced over.

I then watched him weave in and out of traffic using only the right two lanes, ignoring the pretty-much-unoccupied left lane, and then slam on his brakes immediately after passing a car and pulling in front and then exit immediately. WTF? Weave through traffic so you can get to your exit 0.4 seconds faster?

All of this happened within a span of about half a mile.

• ♿ (Parody)

@mott555 said:

WTF? Weave through traffic so you can get to your exit 0.4 seconds faster?

He couldn't even be bothered to clear the ice from his car. Clearly he's in a hurry and his time is more important than yours.

@boomzilla said:

He couldn't even be bothered to clear the ice from his car.

Did I post the picture last year of me doing that? I cut two portholes in the windshield and that was it.

In my defense, I only had 1 1/4 miles or so to drive, and it's Texas, so 80% of the cars that would normally be on the road weren't there because nobody who's from here knows how to drive in snow and ice, and I had my side windows rolled down, and was driving about 15mph, and I mainly did it for the sake of doing it, because even with your side windows down it's pretty freaky.

• Texas gets ice?

For the record, there was no ice on my pickup this morning and it was above freezing by the end of yesterday. I don't know where this guy got his ice from, or how he drove all the way into Omaha without the heater melting everything if he came from somewhere else.

@mott555 said:

Texas gets ice?

Yes. In the time I've been here, we've gotten 1-2 ice/snow storms a year, that typically leave a half-inch of ice on the road for a week because there's functionally no plows. This is not counting hail, heh.

• We briefly lived in Camden, SC when I was young, we were only there for a year. Having moved there from Nebraska, it was very strange to me that they actually cancelled school because it lightly frosted one night. They also cancelled school once because they thought it might snow, yet it was 70 degrees and sunny all day.

@mott555 said:

Having moved there from Nebraska, it was very strange to me that they actually cancelled school because it lightly frosted one night.

Southerners don't get enough snow to learn how to drive in it. I joke that I'm going to send my son back north to get practice driving in it when he's a bit older.

• I am living in the border region between germany and the netherlands - I am extremely hesitant to overtake a netherlander because most of them do not like blinkers at all. Instead, they are slowly creeping to the middle lane and then switch the lane. It is quite ibvous when you know the style, but the first time around it was scary as hell.

My personal pet peeve are "Elefantenrennen" (Elephant race) - trucks are limited to 90 kp/h, but their speed varies a little bit, so there are "faster" and "slower" trucks, the difference is like 1-5 kp/h. Oftentimes, they are trying to overtake each other, which blocks an entire lane for ages - which causes a lot of congestion, especially on 2 lane streets. Even more fun is that most truck drivers don't bother to use their blinkers and are simply switching lanes without lookg for other traffic. Last week I was travelling at 160 kp/h and a truck switched into my lane - I braked like hell and managed not to ram the truck, but it was a very close thing.

• @HdS said:

My personal pet peeve are "Elefantenrennen" (Elephant race) - trucks are limited to 90 kp/h, but their speed varies a little bit, so there are "faster" and "slower" trucks, the difference is like 1-5 kp/h. Oftentimes, they are trying to overtake each other, which blocks an entire lane for ages - which causes a lot of congestion,

Happens all the time on I-80 here. It's six lanes, three each way, but more often than not traffic gets backed up because three semis ride right next to each other, trying to pass each other, but only going 1 - 2 mph different. And of course all their speeds change depending on whether they're going uphill or downhill so it takes 5 miles for them to pass. This is really annoying because the speed limit there is 75 mph, most drivers go 80, but the trucks only go 60 - 65.

Our three-lane motorways (only counting the number of lanes open in one direction) typically have the off-side lane restricted to light vehicles only; heavy ones have to stick to the other two (except in obvious exceptional circumstances like going round accidents, of course). It helps a bit; you can usually manage to get past in a mile or two (depending on other traffic)…

• @FrostCat said:

Southerners don't get enough snow to learn how to drive in it.

Which is so much worse if you know what you are doing because it means you spend the whole way to work screaming at every other car on the road.

• BINNED

I do that here even when it's not snowing or raining.

It's actually an offence for heavy vehicles to use the outside lane of a motorway. The dual carriageways which restrict the outside (like parts of the A14) lane are handy.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q590.htm

• It's 64F here, the weather is horrible.

Did anyone already mention that people who do use turn signals still use them wrong? I see cars where the driver is obviously looking to move over, starts drifting over, and does not use the turn signal for intent, but instead puts it on at the last second when they start to change lanes, and the signal is pointless...

• I think I probably mentioned this a long time ago, but since moving into the city I see an antipattern where drivers use the wrong turn signal. Left blinker, but turns right.

http://rs1ci.memecdn.com/133/5612133.jpg

• I hope that pedestrian bought a lottery ticket! I know I'd need some clean pants...

• My turn signal pet peeve is people who deliberately do not use their turn signal because they are in a turn-only lane.

Because other cars always know the area well enough to know that you're in a turn only lane, and know that you know (and intend to respect) that you are in one. :eyeroll:

If someone doesn't use their signal as a rule, I view that as being a dipshit through laziness. Deliberately not using it in situations like that seems more like being a dipshit through malice... and even though it's not rational, the second feels worse at an emotional level. :-)

• BINNED

@EvanED said:

My turn signal pet peeve is people who deliberately do not use their turn signal because they are in a turn-only lane.

That doesn't bother me nearly as much as people in a turn-only lane who don't make the turn.

A few months ago, I was waiting in the left-turn-optional lane at a stoplight. There was one car in front of me and one car in the left-turn-only lane. When the light turns green, the car in the left-turn-only lane goes straight through the intersection, cutting off the car in the next lane who was turning left. I'm not sure how they managed to avoid a collision.