Chrome on Windows 8 is a trainwreck

• @dhromed said:

I have to type the function calls. They are also for me. I am a user of the API.

When we talk about good method names and bad method names, we're talking about the UX of a language or library or API.

Exactly, I hate when people forget that programmers are also users.

For example, compare these 2 Python libraries for fetching stuff over HTTP (a very basic and common task). Which would you rather use?

[code]gh_url = 'https://api.github.com'

req = urllib2.Request(gh_url)

password_manager = urllib2.HTTPPasswordMgrWithDefaultRealm()
    password_manager.add_password(None, gh_url, 'user', 'pass')

auth_manager = urllib2.HTTPBasicAuthHandler(password_manager)
    opener = urllib2.build_opener(auth_manager)

urllib2.install_opener(opener)

handler = urllib2.urlopen(req)

print handler.getcode()
    print handler.headers.getheader('content-type')
    [/code]

vs

[code]r = requests.get('https://api.github.com', auth=('user', 'pass'))

print r.status_code
    print r.headers['content-type']
    [/code]

• train wreck

• @Master Chief said:

Sure, there are many skill sets that can be acquired through simple study, like mathematics, which are strict "this is right, this is wrong" type academics

You don't know much math, do you?

• @HardwareGeek said:

Do you really want to let people like that write programs?
    Yes
    @HardwareGeek said:
    Do you want to use the programs they write?

People don't actually care who wrote their software, that is the hard truth, the only thing they care about is solving their problem

• @Master Chief said:

The problem with that view, however, is there's a whole lot to iOS and it's app marketplace that has absolutely nothing to do with making phone calls.
    I barely make any call, I mostly read books, (I have an android btw) and use a few apps but so far there hasn't been any learning required, I'm not saying that there aren't any apps out there that are hard to use but I don't believe there are used by the majority of users and let me remind you, this forum is not a representative group

• @flabdablet said:

If you think of the hundreds of little tasks you do every time you sit down at a computer to accomplish some larger purpose as "dicking around", then they're "dicking around".

All the things you listed were dicking around. Do you ever use a computer to do anything? You sure didn't demonstrate it with that post.

@flabdablet said:

If you're going to go all pedantic dickweed about "useful work" or "task" having some idiosyncratic meaning that you can narrow as much as you like until your attempt at an argument looks plausible, then obviously there's no task you can accomplish using a general purpose computer running operating system A that you can't also accomplish using operating system B.

Shockingly, that was actually the point I was getting at.

@flabdablet said:

I could cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring (Windows 8) or I could use my preferred chainsaw (Debian). Either way it's going to get cut down, but using the chainsaw is going to involve a lot less fucking about.

You're not cutting down trees. You're just oiling-up the chain over and over again.

• Not at all surprised to see you completely discount the importance of usability if it helps you believe you've won an argument. Because despite all your huff and puff about usability being a vital moral issue, you don't actually appear to give a shit about it. What you do appear to give a shit about is being seen to be right.

It's kind of sad that the way you generally go about that is so utterly ineffective.

• Considered Harmful

@flabdablet said:

Not at all surprised to see you completely discount the importance of usability if it helps you believe you've won an argument. Because despite all your huff and puff about usability being a vital moral issue, you don't actually appear to give a shit about it. What you do appear to give a shit about is being seen to be right.

It's kind of sad that the way you generally go about that is so utterly ineffective.

What happens when an unstoppable dick meets an immovable shithead? Find out in the next installment of The Thread I Stopped Caring About 3 Pages Ago.

• @flabdablet said:

What's really sad is that you think that because I use third party software to do stuff like multiple desktops, that makes Windows somehow inferior.

• @flabdablet said:

Not at all surprised to see you completely discount the importance of usability if it helps you believe you've won an argument.

What the holy fuck are you even talking about? Who said anything about discounting the importance of usability?

Ok guys make fun of me for citing the tiny shoulder aliens who sit on Flabdablet and whisper nonsense in his ear, but you have to admit he's having a bad episode right now. He's not even trying to make sense.

• @blakeyrat said:

What the holy fuck are you even talking about?

You asked for one (count them: one) task I could do with Linux but not with Windows 8. I listed a bunch of tasks (some little, some large) I do regularly on my Debian boxes in the course of normal use, all of which are things I frequently find myself wishing I could do as easily or at all on Windows. First you claimed that none of them were "tasks", then you jumped on the "dicking around" bandwagon. You're trying to make a case that Windows 8 can accomplish any "task" that Linux can, which even accepting your still-unspecified definition for "task" is only true if you pay no attention at all to how easily that happens. So you clearly don't give a shit about usability, despite the fact that you desperately want to believe that you do; all you actually give a shit about is Blakeyrat-usability, which is nowhere near the same thing.

If that still doesn't make sense to you, you're even more wilfully obtuse than I had previously thought you.

• "Linux" is a kernel.

The NT kernel is a kernel.

The DOS kernel is a kernel.

The BSD kernel is a kernel.

The Mac Classic kernel is a kernel.

The Solaris kernel is a kernel.

GNU Hurd is a kernel.

There are a lot of kernels out there, and to most users, for most use cases, the kernel makes no difference whatsoever.

You can install the GNU utilities (or whatever core utilities you want, really), and a DE/WM over pretty much any kernel. Anything but the linux kernel that you use on a GNU/Linux setup is a "third-party tool", as essentially none of the features commonly touted for "linux" are actually built into the kernel. Windows has better driver support for most devices (but drastically worse for some, like WD external hard drives, which will attempt to install Bad Things rather than just acting as a drive) and many games will not run outside of a windows environment. Most problems with windows are fixed with patching, most problems with *NIX setups are fixed by configuration. Most users only need a web browser with flash, a document editor, and ACPI functionality. Many users also want to play games, most of which are windows-only (although this may change over the next several years). Some users have to run specific programs, which are often platform-specific. A few users care about licensing, ownership, or the fact that Microsoft (and Canonical now) will happily sell user data to anyone with a checkbook or the super-secret code word.

Pick whatever kernel you want, whatever utility set you want, and whatever DE/WM you want. Then stop telling the rest of us why you think you're better.

• BINNED

@flabdablet said:

So you clearly don't give a shit about usability, despite the fact that you desperately want to believe that you do; all you actually give a shit about is Blakeyrat-usability, which is nowhere near the same thing.
    Didn't he already admit that a couple of months ago?

• @Buttembly Coder said:

Pick whatever kernel you want, whatever utility set you want, and whatever DE/WM you want. Then stop telling the rest of us why you think you're better.

This whole derail started with a remark I made about how dumbed-down UI like the awful shit that ships with Windows 8 leaves me feeling like I've been handed a chainsaw with a non-removable guard over the entire chain. That impression applies to the OS distribution as shipped and therefore as I typically encounter it in the course of my work (I fix computers), not to the kernel. I have no strong objections to the NT kernel, which strikes me as a solid piece of work.

For my own use on my own boxes, I have picked the kernel, package manager, utility set and desktop environment I want (Debian, Xfce) and I've never even got close to claiming that those choices make me "better" than anybody happy with some other setup. It's really only Blakey who consistently gets offended about other people enjoying things he personally disapproves of.

• @flabdablet said:

@Buttembly Coder said:

This whole derail started with a remark I made about how dumbed-down UI like the awful shit that ships with Windows 8 leaves me feeling like I've been handed a chainsaw with a non-removable guard over the entire chain. That impression applies to the OS distribution as shipped and therefore as I typically encounter it in the course of my work (I fix computers), not to the kernel. I have no strong objections to the NT kernel, which strikes me as a solid piece of work.

For my own use on my own boxes, I have picked the kernel, package manager, utility set and desktop environment I want (Debian, Xfce) and I've never even got close to claiming that those choices make me "better" than anybody happy with some other setup. It's really only Blakey who consistently gets offended about other people enjoying things he personally disapproves of.

My comment was aimed at both you and Blakey, so just pretend that part applies to him more than you.

• @Buttembly Coder said:

But how will I address my insecurity? I need to belong to a group to feel important!!

• @Master Chief said:

@Buttembly Coder said:

But how will I address my insecurity? I need to belong to a group to feel important!!

Use Opera as your primary internet browser.

• Considered Harmful

@Master Chief said:

@Buttembly Coder said:

I'm confident that 2014 will finally be the year of the AmigaOS desktop.

• This seems like an appropriate topic for cross-forum necromancing. From one trainwreck to another.

Source: http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/post-i-choo-choo-choose-you/612/76 see why this has happened to you