The Daily WTF: Curious Perversions in Information Technology
Welcome to TDWTF Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

John McAfee

Last post 01-14-2013 12:05 PM by Nagesh. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2012 1:07 PM

John McAfee

John McAfee, founder of the Anti-Virus company that bears his name, has been hiding out in Belize, accused of killing someone.  A couple of days ago it was widely reported that he had been captured, however, the police in Belize are now saying that he was not captured.

Oops.  Another false positive.

• 12-03-2012 2:28 PM In reply to

Re: John McAfee

He killed my work computer.

In complex analysis, a meromorphic function on an open subset D of the complex plane is a function that is holomorphic on all D except a set of isolated points

• 12-06-2012 4:51 PM In reply to

<-  I couldn't make my shit work, so here's a Godzilla head.
  • 12-12-2012 9:05 AM In reply to

I guess the idiots who believe in soft-headed concepts like "computer viruses " will have to find someone else to throw their money at.
  • 12-23-2012 8:29 PM In reply to

• Ben L.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Inventor of the 186-hour work week
    • Posts 3,607

bridget99:
    I guess the idiots who believe in soft-headed concepts like "computer viruses " will have to find someone else to throw their money at.
    Computer viruses exist just like bridget99 exists.
  • Morbs is the smartest!
  • 01-10-2013 8:58 AM In reply to

• Nagesh
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2011
    • Hyderabad, India
    • Posts 1,064

bridget99:

Soft-headed? What do you mean?

• 01-11-2013 1:43 AM In reply to

Nagesh:

bridget99:

I meant that computers don't really get diseases in the same way that men do. "Virus" is a poor metaphor, whose use implies an imperfect understanding of computing devices. If you catch the flu (a virus of man) at school, or at a grocery store, you probably didn't have much choice in the matter. Sure, you could be a drop-out, and you'd presumably be less likely to catch the flu. Or, you could eschew all of the life-preserving things that men sell to each other at grocery stores. But computers don't just catch viruses from their sources of life (e.g. AC power). They contract what people call "computer viruses" because their users choose to connect to computer networks, optionally and voluntarily. That's a fact which has broad architectural implications.
  • 01-11-2013 6:39 AM In reply to

• jwenting
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-28-2005
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 153

the term virus hints at the reproduction system and means of spreading, not the effects of the infection...

• 01-11-2013 3:39 PM In reply to

Computer viruses (isn't it supposed to be virii?) are more like STDs: You catch them by doing things you probably shouldn't with people you shouldn't, they reduce your ability to perform daily functions, and you can spread them to others you associate with.
    The Daily WTF Forums. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
  • 01-12-2013 12:13 AM In reply to

• Ben L.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Inventor of the 186-hour work week
    • Posts 3,607

ObiWayneKenobi:
    Computer viruses (isn't it supposed to be virii?) are more like STDs: You catch them by doing things you probably shouldn't with people you shouldn't, they reduce your ability to perform daily functions, and you can spread them to others you associate with.
    The major difference is that computer viruses ask you for money whereas HIV kills you.
  • Morbs is the smartest!
  • 01-14-2013 12:05 PM In reply to

• Nagesh
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2011
    • Hyderabad, India
    • Posts 1,064

bridget99:
    Nagesh:

bridget99:

I meant that computers don't really get diseases in the same way that men do. "Virus" is a poor metaphor, whose use implies an imperfect understanding of computing devices. If you catch the flu (a virus of man) at school, or at a grocery store, you probably didn't have much choice in the matter. Sure, you could be a drop-out, and you'd presumably be less likely to catch the flu. Or, you could eschew all of the life-preserving things that men sell to each other at grocery stores. But computers don't just catch viruses from their sources of life (e.g. AC power). They contract what people call "computer viruses" because their users choose to connect to computer networks, optionally and voluntarily. That's a fact which has broad architectural implications.

It is not optional and voluntary. We are all paid to use the computer in one form or other. If you think from end-user prospective, you'll get a virus too.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)