The Daily WTF: Curious Perversions in Information Technology
Welcome to TDWTF Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Look before you leap

Last post 03-13-2012 8:19 AM by MichaelWojcik. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2012 4:24 AM

Look before you leap

You'll probably find that the forum experience is improved by going to the "Site Options" tab of "Edit Profile" and turning off "Display User Signatures".
  • 03-01-2012 5:55 AM In reply to

Re: Look before you leap

Whenever you click on the page, even in a dead spot, there's a short burst of loading. I assume this is their metrics system tracking what users do?

In any case, I said hello and gave them a smiley face.
  • 03-01-2012 6:06 AM In reply to

nexekho:
    Whenever you click on the page, even in a dead spot, there's a short burst of loading. I assume this is their metrics system tracking what users do?

It sends the url to sniff.visitstat.com , along with the metrics click coordinates and document dimensions.

In complex analysis, a meromorphic function on an open subset D of the complex plane is a function that is holomorphic on all D except a set of isolated points

• 03-01-2012 6:22 AM In reply to

When the page opened I got a message that said "The target of the callback could not be found", then it set focus to another MSDN window I already had open in a tab...that's some great coding right there.

• 03-01-2012 2:35 PM In reply to

Dear God, this means they are doing their own date manipulations? Why??
    God has cursed the blind.

"I confess. I've always been a humorist. It is not an accident that the Flounder is usually shown with a smile."
  • 03-01-2012 5:08 PM In reply to

Either they're Time Lords, or someone divided by zero.

• 03-07-2012 8:03 PM In reply to

MS developers working on an MS system that supports MS hosted services and they don't trust thier MS created date-time libraries? That is taking not-created-here to a whole new level
  • 03-13-2012 8:19 AM In reply to

There's an update: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2012/03/09/summary-of-windows-azure-service-disruption-on-feb-29th-2012.aspx

The bug specifically was in generating certificates and setting the end date by taking the current date and adding one to the year. A classic mistake - we just had a TDWTF about this very error on, of course, 29 February - and the sort of thing that makes you wonder who they're letting write critical infrastructure code for their much-hyped PaaS cloud offering.

And, as pointed out by others previously in this thread, it would have been simpler to use their own framework date class, which does one-year-in-the-future trivially.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)