Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!

• @RHuckster said:

I said, "I was thinking the same thing, but to be honest, it's just as unusual to make your house LOOK like a store and a restaurant."

I was asked to leave the premises and never come back.

So... why did she have the sign up?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@RHuckster said:

I said, "I was thinking the same thing, but to be honest, it's just as unusual to make your house LOOK like a store and a restaurant."

That sounds like something that was done in one of those "We'll Remodel Your House For You With Your Favorite Obnoxious Theme" shows.

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said:

@RHuckster said:

She simply said that's her "thing" whatever that means. I think she was just a nutjob. Nutjobs don't always need reasons to do stuff.

• @RHuckster said:

@blakeyrat said:

@RHuckster said:

She simply said that's her "thing" whatever that means. I think she was just a nutjob. Nutjobs don't always need reasons to do stuff.

You need to organise bus loads of people to visit her "restaurant", or better yet, the Antiques Roadshow!

• The day connecting to a server port means you agree to anything that's not behind at least a click-through or other notice is the day I become a millionaire by putting an image in my sig, spamming evey web board in creation, and billing eveyone for accesss fees for loading the image.

• @Sir Twist said:

The day connecting to a server port means you agree to anything that's not behind at least a click-through or other notice is the day I become a millionaire by putting an image in my sig, spamming evey web board in creation, and billing eveyone for accesss fees for loading the image.

The issue of "agreement with the terms" aside, that doesn't change the fact that he was using the server by connecting to it.

His defense wasn't "I never agreed with the terms", it was "I never used the software." The former claim would be more believable.

• But he wasn't reverse-engineering the server. They claimed he was reverse-engineering the client. He claimed he never used the client. (Even if he used the server.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@Xyro said:

But he wasn't reverse-engineering the server. They claimed he was reverse-engineering the client. He claimed he never used the client. (Even if he used the server.)

Yes. Mostly, he was being an asshole, per his reputation. He hoped his defense of pedantic dickweedery would overrule Bitkeeper's terms for allowing them to use their stuff for free. Oops.

• I use it for Django development because I haven't come across a better one (and I don't want to pay for an IDE, because I'm really just playing around with Django).

I haven't actually had any huge problems. It even has a pretty decent step-through debugger.

• @Helix said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Helix said:
    I read somewhere that a bit keeper user can terminal in on the BK port and from a text menu, request a clone of the repository.  As far as I understand it Tridge then pulled data out of the local repository file stream.

Yes, but that's still using BitKeeper because the server is BitKeeper. He's either pulling some Bill Clinton shit and trying to redefine the word "use", or he's a liar.

That's what i thought too - maybe he got a friend to pull it off for him?

Kinky.

• @Xyro said:

@boomzilla said:
    @Xyro said:
    @Inigo Montoya said:
    Aptana Studio uses the Java $HOME variable to place the default workspace location, which, by default, is wonky on Windows.
    Hmm, I don't know what $HOME variable he could be talking about.
    I suspect he meant that Java was using the $HOME environment variable. Which seems to be consistent with where blakey said stuff ended up. The other option would be $JAVA_HOME, but that doesn't really make sense, because it's meant to point to the location of the jdk, not anything about the user (maybe that's where your java.home and user.home come from).
    But there is no such $HOME environmental variable in Windows...

There may not be a $HOME variable, but windows has many equivalents.  Hey look at that -- %APPDATA% ---

Variable                                          Typical value (May vary, depending on system)
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%                  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    %APPDATA%                                 C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data
     %HOMEDRIVE%                              C:
    %HOMEPATH%                                \Documents and Settings\{username}
    %PROGRAMFILES%                       Directory containing program files, usually C:\Program Files
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%                          The drive containing the Windows XP root directory, usually C:
    %SYSTEMROOT%                           The Windows XP root directory, usually C:\Windows
    %TEMP% and %TMP%                     C:\DOCUME~1\{username}\LOCALS~1\Temp
    %USERNAME%                                {username}
    %USERPROFILE%                           C:\Documents and Settings\{username}
    %WINDIR%                                       C:\Windows >

• @boomzilla said:

@blakeyrat said:
    How does that work if the user is offline? Edit: Oh I missed "sync files". Hm.

Also, you've reached the limit of my knowledge on the subject, which was gained moments ago via google, and not being a sysadmin type, I'm not real familiar with any of it. If I had to guess, though, I'd say such a set up is probably very rare, if only because there probably aren't many substantial networks of linux computers where this would be important.

I also wonder how common roaming profiles really are in corporate networks. Especially as relates to how well that sort of thing scales vs the benefit. In a small lab where you never know which machine you might use it might make a lot of sense, but it seems like mostly you'd be using a single machine at your desk or whatever.

You're pretty much right, unless someone uses a third party roaming profile management instead of what's built in to windows/windows server in which case it's next to useless..  The environment variables will "point" to C, which will get synced to the network on the next valid connection (or log-off if you're on a valid connection).

And it aides in keeping backups of user data for non-roaming users, in case of spectacular hardware failure. The "Roaming" user can log into another desktop and, barring Software Installs or a 200 GB music library, work without noticing much difference.

Also, in an environment where the detection of a virus in a file transfer session locks the user out of the network/servers (such as when the infected desktop attempts to sync data), much hilarity and delight.

• @blakeyrat said:

I got some flack about my tone on the third bug report

I can't imagine why...

• @CrisW said:

@blakeyrat said:

I can't imagine why...

That wittiness was well-worth reviving a thread from August.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Lovely. Wait... whoa... hold on doggies... D:\Users? That's not where my profile is! My profile's on the C: drive, except for the Documents folder which is on M:. (Or I'd accept \main.corp\docs.) Oh, and it's not named "My Documents", just "Documents." Where the holy fuck did Aptana get this path from? Wrong, Aptana! Wrong wrong wrong!!!

(Actually I can kind of guess. Roaming data on our network configuration is kept in D:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Roaming... my guess is that Aptana asked the OS for the Roaming data folder, then ass-pulled relative paths from it. That's just a guess.)

Ok, so it writes bullshit into my D: drive, let's take a look at what it put in there:

We all got caught up in side issues, but did you try: File -> Switch Workspace -> Other. Then browse to where you want it to store your workspace, and tell it to use that place.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said:

@blakeyrat said:

Lovely. Wait... whoa... hold on doggies... D:\Users? That's not where my profile is! My profile's on the C: drive, except for the Documents folder which is on M:. (Or I'd accept \main.corp\docs.) Oh, and it's not named "My Documents", just "Documents." Where the holy fuck did Aptana get this path from? Wrong, Aptana! Wrong wrong wrong!!!

(Actually I can kind of guess. Roaming data on our network configuration is kept in D:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Roaming... my guess is that Aptana asked the OS for the Roaming data folder, then ass-pulled relative paths from it. That's just a guess.)

Ok, so it writes bullshit into my D: drive, let's take a look at what it put in there:

We all got caught up in side issues, but did you try: File -> Switch Workspace -> Other. Then browse to where you want it to store your workspace, and tell it to use that place.

But does File->Print work?

• @frits said:

@blakeyrat said:

The question is, "if Git is so important to you, why didn't you just install it yourself?"

This user guide to installing Git on Windows might give you some insight into why they don't automatically install it: http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/

Note the combination of setup wizard, SSH key generation, and terminal jokeying.

Sorry, that's bogus. Installing Git only requires running the installer. The two other steps make git able to use the account you (may) have set up at github. Presumably Aptana Studio does not require a github account for working.

• Good thing this thread got necro'd so we can add spam and useless posts to it.

• @RHuckster said:

But, anyways, that's probably one of the only times I'd think "I didn't know that." excuse would truly be considered in court. Luckily, I didn't see if it would work because she didn't call the cops on me.

I think that's referred to as the "reasonable man" criteria in legal contexts in the U.S. As in "Would a reasonable man be expected to know that it was a private residence, or could a reasonable man think the store/restaurant trappings were for real?" Of course, the question of what a "reasonable man" would do is not cut and dried, but that's why we have judges and juries and appeals courts and precedents and the first cut rule: "The opposite of what blakey would do."

• @blakeyrat said:

Oh: "Aptana Studio uses the Java $HOME variable to place the default workspace location, which, by default, is wonky on Windows."

So not only is Java buggy, it's CONCEPTUALLY FLAWED. There's no such thing as a single "home location" on Windows; AppData, Roaming AppData, Documents, all have their own locations which may or may not even be on the same drive. That's like DOM, which assumes a computer can only ever have a single monitor... it's flawed in concept, so there's no way the execution can be bug-free. Cripes.

So, let's see here...

Some OSes have a notion of a single per-user "home" directory, into which user-specific configurations and caches and whatnot are typically stored. Some do not have a single such location, but have a handful of common locations that serve similar purposes. The core Java API provides a convenience property that exposes some reasonable version of a home directory in a platform-appropriate manner. Some software written by some developer in Java chooses to use this feature as a default in a way that isn't appropriate on some systems, or that you personally don't like, and therefore, Java is "conceptually flawed."

I guess hammers are conceptually flawed too, because I've seen a lot of stuff that I don't like that was built using hammers.

• Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to a brick wall?

• @Sutherlands said:

Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to a brick wall?

I have teenage kids and an ex-wife. I'm well and truly used to it. :-)

• @UNIX said:

Everything is a file

The UNIX and Linux crowd live by this dogma and apply it to the whole world.

Blakeyrat is a file called $home. If he doesn't want to be a file, he doesn't exist.

It's all Window's fault that it doesn't accept this dogma.

• @JvdL said:

@UNIX said:

Everything is a file

The UNIX and Linux crowd live by this dogma and apply it to the whole world.

Blakeyrat is a file called $home. If he doesn't want to be a file, he doesn't exist.

It's all Window's fault that it doesn't accept this dogma.

Whatever you're smokin' son, pass it on down! I wanna see me some green pinstriped flyin' buffalo too!

• @blakeyrat said:

I hate how "open source" is code for "we do not give a shit at all".

Sometimes it's really "I gave a shit 3 years ago when I had a great idea I couldn't follow through on" or "Someday someone else will take over this project and again, briefly, give a shit".

•  Aw, man! That really sucks...I was hoping you'd had at least an opportunity to see what it can (and more importantly cannot) do, as that's how I found this thread in the first place...trying to find if Aptana could copy a file path from within a project, either from the project explorer, or ANYWHERE ELSE...

So okay. Not the biggest fan of MS, but at least they got one thing right: Click in the address bar in Explorer and you can select (and subsequently COPY&PASTE) the current dirpath. I needed a quick copy&paste of that path to tell another dev where a particular file was, that I found using Aptanta's file search. Ordinarily no big deal, right?

Well, after having dealt with the install "issues" of Aptana multiple times, before having read this post, I'd gotten used to it. I guess I'm just abunantly forgiving when it comes to installs...in any case, there have been...let's just say an exponentially increasing number of WTF!? moments the more I learn the intricacies of navigating Aptana's preferences...

Having said that, Aptana Studio 3 is far superior (can't remember if the install improved, unfortunately) to Aptana Studio 2, and the reason I continue to use it to this day is because of Just that: The file search. It is the fastest, most regex-complete search I've *ever* found.

Having said That...they really jacked up the regex search&replace with their last few updates, as far as the inline search goes(as opposed to the popup search window).

So overall, my confidence in Aptana is beginning to teeter, to say the least...

• Notification Spam Recipient

(Yes, I know I'm necro-ing a thread. Deal with it. It's topical.)

@Rhywden said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

If you're that hostile to anyone posting something you don't like on this board, I wonder why no one has kicked you out of it yet.

Hehe, about that...

@pbean said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

And if you need multiple entries, just put it in Games, My Little Pony, not Games, EA Sports, Fun Games For Kids, My Little Pony Productions, My Little Pony.

👀

@pbean said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

Anyhow, it's pretty much a WTF you spent 45 seconds on finding it, since Windows Vista introduced this search box in the Start menu (which is also present in your screenshot). I actually rarely even go into All programs any more, especially since I now have an SSD, the results are just instant.

Welcome to Windows 10, where search usually manages to pull up Internet results faster than local SSD file entries, and regardless usually takes a minimum of five seconds while it animates things.

@blakeyrat said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

Aptana has decided that the "best" solution is to prompt the user for their profile location on first run! Cripes. They just do not care, do they. At all.

Edit: Oh look I found the Java bug entry for this issue: http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4787931. It's been broken since 2002.

You're not going to like this, but you're also not going to be surprised.... It's still the case 8 years later.

@robbak said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

I cannot really understand this. For me, and I think most other technically minded people, it seems more like "We can do this with an ugly hack that really doesn't work well, or you can do it right, and here is the instructions, Which would you rather?"

Speak for yourself!

Besides, they did the "ugly hack" and used a stored CRC value to check the download that, surprise surprise, didn't stay constant (for whatever reason), causing it to crash and burn.

There's no reason this should have been a hack in the first place; there are well known methods on how to download, check, and run a file from the internet, without user input (malware is rather good at this, after all). Why provide users with instructions that we know they're going to fail with a rather high rate?

@boomzilla said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

I could see doing this, especially for a multi-platform program. I don't know how they attempted to detect the installation, but I suppose there might be good reasons to use your installed and configured version (though I still wonder what they're doing with it to begin with), rather than just installing other software. I'd probably go with having it install as part of my app, possibly using an external version if it exists. Still, I can see why you'd ask the user. They definitely could have handled the "go install it from here" bit better.

Sure. Apparently during a slightly less-old version, it allowed you to skip the git installation entirely. Now there's essentially no choice (natch), and if it fails in any way the installation is cancelled outright.
    In a perfect world, it would autodetect if you have a locally installed version, then provide a dialog that looks like "Aptana can use git for source control! What's that? We [detected/did not detect] a version installed that we can use. Would you like to: [Install a newer version], [Use the existing version], [Don't enable git source control support]" and then do the needful

I didn't even get to a functional code editor before giving up and uninstalling.

Ah. My experiences to follow after I catch up.

@Jaime said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

How about installing a portable copy of git during the install and then creating an options dialog that allows the user to configure the program to use another copy of git?

Unfortunately, this option no longer exists. :mlp_shrug:

@Helix said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

Eclipse has improved quite a bit BTW

I'm not convinced so far.

@frits said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

Note the combination of setup wizard, SSH key generation, and terminal jokeying.

:mlp_shrug: Apparently not needed anymore.

@dohpaz42 said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

The polite thing for you to have done when filing a bug report for Aptana Studio would not to have been condescending and rude. Sure, you're frustrated and upset - rightly so, despite Aptana Studio (and Eclipse) being "Open Source", they are "professional-quality" applications - but that doesn't give you license to tear into their developers. You can truly catch more flies with honey, especially in the OSS community. To contribute with bug reports means to work with the team to help them better understand the problem; politely offer suggestions for solutions. But no, you're blakeyrat, and you have to look down upon everybody that is not you.

Fuck you. Give me money.

@dohpaz42 said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

The biggest problem with OSS is the lack of resources for proper testing.

Bullshit. Literally all their lusers are the guinea pigs for testing whatever shit gets committed to the head, ready for other OSS users fetch and suffer from.

@boomzilla said:

I also wonder how common roaming profiles really are in corporate networks.

Microsoft's been trying to scale them back for awhile now. Obviously they're not going to just say "NO LONGER SUPPORTED!!" but I think they've been discouraging it for new networks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oddly, our office didn't have this setup until recently-- our old network setup just mapped the entire profile to the network and used Microsoft's "Sync Center" for laptops. (Basically exactly equivalent to what you think Linux network do.) This new setup is something the Frenchies put on our computers when they imaged everybody with Windows 7.

Yes. I believe recommended practice at the moment is redirect special folders, which (should) automatically enable Offline Files and create a sync partnership with the redirected folder.
    It's janky as fuck, but kinda mostly works. Onedrive screams about it though, no surprise....

Guest said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

Once again TRWTF is Community Server.

Indeed.

@Sir_Twist said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

The day connecting to a server port means you agree to anything that's not behind at least a click-through or other notice is the day I become a millionaire by putting an image in my sig, spamming evey web board in creation, and billing eveyone for accesss fees for loading the image.

Talk to Microsoft, who apparently require you to have a CAL for every device that breathes in the vicinity of any of their server software programs (including things like DHCP, DNS, IIS, etc). You should start on that spam now.

@Sir Twist said:

The issue of "agreement with the terms" aside, that doesn't change the fact that he was using the server by connecting to it.

His defense wasn't "I never agreed with the terms", it was "I never used the software." The former claim would be more believable.

Ah, so he should have consulted @pie_flavor then?

@CrisW said:

@blakeyrat said:

I can't imagine why...

That wittiness was well-worth reviving a thread from August.

And it's well-worth reviving a thread from 2011!

@bigdogdman said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

most regex-complete

aaand you've lost respect.

... Wait a minute, it's been 8 years and Aptana is still on version 3?!?!? Fuck my life...

This post provided to let the three active users I just spammed the upvote button on to easily clear it by visiting this thread. Thanks, NodeBB for that particular feature.

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Ooh, a old new problem? I'll necro it with my own experience. Eight years ought to be enough for positive change, right?

My own installation experience with Aptana Studio 3, starting with a not-right Java version that didn't end up installing the correct version anyways, tried to auto-install git but failed because it used a bad CRC value to check against.

Naturally, it did also ask me for where the project folder should be (I was expecting this, unfortunately, so it didn't catch me off guard).

Pointed it at my actual PHP-based project that uses Vue.js and Vuetify.js for the front end. Let's see what it says about the custom html elements...

d5d58469-effc-4690-9826-38872bacef00-image.png

Ugh. Yeah, I think I'm just going to use it for a glorified colorful-izer for the text.

Edit: Seems it doesn't like javascript either...

f3bf09a2-5b56-4876-9851-71ab98b6b910-image.png

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Tsaukpaetra said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

Seems it doesn't like javascript either...

Interesting; it really doesn't like the lambda syntax. (There's a little red in that ocean of yellow.)

@dkf said in Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!:

Seems it doesn't like javascript either...

Interesting; it really doesn't like the lambda syntax. (There's a little red in that ocean of yellow.)

Looks like that's going to be supported in version 6.1.0, of course, current release is 3.7. I'm not holding my breath by any stretch of imagination.

• Banned

And it's well-worth reviving a thread from 2011!

No.

Status: Now, having used it for two days my opinion: It's shit.

For something that was last updated a scant half year ago, it doesn't support modern javascript, can't handle custom HTML tags, and as far as I know, contains no more functionality that I can actually use that something like, say, Notepad++ doesn't provide.

What a waste of time.