Please Send me the Codes!

• Take a look at the 2nd comment on this page.

http://geekswithblogs.net/dnoderer/archive/2006/08/15/88083.aspx 

Despite the author clearly explaining how to do it in the blog post.

Why do indians seem to think we owe it to them to explain things?

• @Jonathan Holland said:

Why do indians seem to think we owe it to them to explain things?

Probably the same reason that first year students think the lecturers should do their homework for them.

•  *cough*

• @medialint said:

*cough*

Yeah, really. I think the OP is about as tasteful as something Lysis or TunnelRat would have posted.

•  With the blatant mocking of offshored code that occurs here, I didn't realize it wasn't PC to blatantly mock their attitudes as well.

• ♿ (Parody)

Didn't seem distasteful to me, just kinda wrong.  The guy was asking for teh codez when they were right there on the page.  Still, it does fit into the stereotype.  TRWTF is getting offended by stupid things for other people. 

• The reality is that there's some folks out there what couldn't make ice in Antarctica if you gave 'em a filled cube tray and told 'em to stand outside.  If the guy responding to the blog item can't tell code when he sees it--hey, as far as I'm concerned, it's always open season on idiots.  I make sure to bag my limit--it's just wasteful to do otherwise.

• The issue as I understand it is that it's a cultural thing - book knowledge is highly regarded, but not so much being a critical thinker and coming up with your own solutions (they're all sheep who follow the shepherd blindly, so to speak).  While I'm not racist by any means, I have noticed that probably 99% of these "plz send me exactly how to do this" one-line posts are from individuals with Indian or Pakistani-sounding names.  Their ethnicity isn't the issue, the issue is that these are supposedly professional programmers who seemingly can't read APIs and examples and come up with their own solutions, but instead want to have their hands held and given the exact code that they need, or have it 90% done for them already.

Having worked with and dealt with outsourced programmers, perhaps that's why outsourced code is so badly written and buggy?  It's just copy/pasted from existing code and given a few name changes, so that the developers are basically cargo-cult programming without any idea of WHY it's working. Again, that's not a purely cultural issue as there are a lot of incompetent American developers, but for some reason or another the truth is that it's more likely to come from Indian/Pakistani coders.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

I have noticed that probably 99% of these "plz send me exactly how to do this" one-line posts are from individuals with Indian or Pakistani-sounding names. 

I get the impression that the market for programmers in the Subcontinent has grown so quickly over the last few years that demand is outstripping supply. 

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@medialint said:

*cough*

Yeah, really. I think the OP is about as tasteful as something Lysis or TunnelRat would have posted.

Too bad he's positively correct even if you aging hippie douches hate to admit it.