The Daily WTF: Curious Perversions in Information Technology
Welcome to TDWTF Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Shortest program that draws the Mandelbrot set

Last post 04-13-2007 1:35 PM by mbessey. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-08-2007 4:50 AM

Shortest program that draws the Mandelbrot set

The challenge is simple: create the smallest program you can in your language(s) of choice that draws the Mandelbrot set.

The rules:

• Program size will be measured by the size of the source, in bytes, with Unix-style line endings (i.e., LF only, and on every line, including the last)
    • You may output any graphics format or text, to stdout or a file; however, obscure formats few are likely to be able to view are discouraged
    • You must actually compute the values; using pre-generated data in any form is not allowed
    • The image must have an area of at least 1002
    • The image shouldn't have a ridiculous aspect ratio; there's no hard limit, but 2:1 in either direction is about as far as you should go, unless you have a good reason
    • The image must show the entire set, and shouldn't show too much outside of the set (if only a few pixels or characters of the image is the set, it's too much)

My entry, in Python (155 bytes):

w,h,r,i=200,100,range,lambda c:"# "[abs(reduce(lambda z,_:z*z+c,r(h)))<=2]
    print"\n".join("".join(i((x-w/2)*4./w+(y-h/2)*4j/h)for x in r(w))for y in r(h))
  • 04-08-2007 11:37 AM In reply to

Re: Shortest program that draws the Mandelbrot set

I don't think it can get much shorter than yours ;)

For your interest, here's another short method to generate a fractal (Sierpinski's triangle). Perhaps it's well known, but (unrolled for clarity):

for x in range(50):
        for y in range(50):
            if x & y:
                print "H",
            else:
                print " ",
        print

• 04-08-2007 12:11 PM In reply to

Well, there's always other languages (if it wasn't obvious, I meant this to be on a per-language basis). I'm sure someone will come along soon enough with a Perl version with a third of the size and a thousandth of the readability, anyway. I'd be pretty impressed if someone did manage to outdo me in Python though, and perhaps a little bit scared.

• 04-08-2007 1:17 PM In reply to

I'd be pretty impressed if someone did manage to outdo me in Python though, and perhaps a little bit scared.

There you go :>:

w,h,r,i=110,99,range,lambda c:"# "[abs(reduce(lambda z,_:z*z+c,r(h)))<=2]

• 04-08-2007 1:44 PM In reply to

jergosh:

I'd be pretty impressed if someone did manage to outdo me in Python though, and perhaps a little bit scared.

Saving another precious byte:

w,h,r,i=110,99,range,lambda c:"# "[2>abs(reduce(lambda z,_:z*z+c,r(h)))]
  • 04-08-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

Autonuke:
    Saving another precious byte:

I don't quite see how 2>n differs from n<2 (which in turn is something else then n<=2) .

• 04-08-2007 4:16 PM In reply to

• iwpg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2006
    • Posts 258

OB Haskell:

import Complex
    m z=if magnitude(foldr($)z(replicate 99((+z).(^2))))<=2 then ' 'else '#'
    main=mapM putStrLn[[m((x:+y)/40)|x<-[-98..55]]|y<-[-55..55]]

149 characters - 15 of which are for importing the Complex module, which is kinda unfortunate, but oh well.

• 04-08-2007 5:06 PM In reply to

jergosh:

Changing the height and width is hardly outdoing me. I'm not very scared

Autonuke:

2>|z| = |z|<2, however the points in the Mandelbrot set within the radius of 2, and hence it must be |z|≤2. You probably aren't going to shave off any characters I couldn't have without delving deep into the internals of Python.
  • 04-08-2007 6:39 PM In reply to

Down to 124 bytes:

r=range
    print"\n".join("".join("# "[abs(reduce(lambda z,_:z*z+x/48.+y/24j,r(99)))<=2]for x in r(-96,97))for y in r(-48,49))
  • 04-08-2007 7:02 PM In reply to

Changing the height and width is hardly outdoing me. I'm not very scared

So sorry, thought you wanted it shorter. And, yes it is, in this case.

2>|z| = |z|<2, however the points in the Mandelbrot set within the radius of 2, and hence it must be |z|≤2. You probably aren't going to shave off any characters I couldn't have without delving deep into the internals of Python.

Well... 

• 04-08-2007 7:28 PM In reply to

The Real WTF:

The challenge is simple: create the smallest program you can in your language(s) of choice that draws the Mandelbrot set.

Ok. This is my code:

M

I'll write the compiler for it later. Let's call this language Mandeldraw. Every M in input file causes drawing of Mandelbrot set. ;) There's no new line at the end.

I'm planning to optimize it further...

• 04-08-2007 8:22 PM In reply to

• iwpg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2006
    • Posts 258

The Real WTF:

Down to 124 bytes:

I managed to get mine down to 128 - it turns out to be basically the same as yours, except for the language.  I did have something similar to the foldl/reduce earlier, but I replaced it with something shorter, and didn't realise that I could make it shorter still by keeping that particular part.  I originally avoided the string indexing because I assumed the explicit conversion from Bool to Int would be too verbose, but it actually turned out to be shorter than what I had before. 

import Complex
    main=mapM putStrLn[["# "!!fromEnum(magnitude(foldl(\t _->t^2+(x:+y)/40)0[0..99])<=2)|x<-[-98..55]]|y<-[-55..55]]
  • 04-09-2007 12:03 PM In reply to

• kirchhoff
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-27-2007
    • ECE 280 (Circuit Analysis)
    • Posts 217

print (-55..55).map{|y|(-98..55).map{|x|(0..99).inject{|z,r|z*z+Complex(x,y)/40.0}.abs<2?"#":" "}.join}.join("\n")

114 characters; to be executed with ruby -rcomplex -e. If the require'complex'; is required for the rules, then 132 characters.

Currently no easy way to get rid of the print; irb doesn't interpret control characters when printing implictly returned strings. 

• 04-11-2007 6:57 AM In reply to

• Mek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-15-2004
    • Posts 8

straight forward C implementation, 191 bytes (all on one line without line ending):

i;main(){float X,Y=-1,x,y,x2,y2;for(;Y<1;putchar(10),Y+=.02)for(X=-2;X<1;X+=.02){x=X;y=Y;x2=x*x;y2=y*y;for(i=0;i<999&&x2+y2<4;i++){y=2*x*y+Y;x=x2-y2+X;x2=x*x;y2=y*y;}putchar(i>998?'X':'.');}} 

• 04-11-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

• Mek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-15-2004
    • Posts 8

simple improvements, 176 bytes:

i;main(){float X,Y=-1,x,y,a,b;for(;Y<1;putchar(10),Y+=.02)for(X=-2;X<1;X+=.02){x=X;y=Y;a=x*x;b=y*y;for(i=0;i<999&&a+b<4;i++)y=2*x*y+Y,x=a-b+X,a=x*x,b=y*y;putchar(i/999*3+32);}}

• 04-11-2007 7:15 AM In reply to

• Mek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-15-2004
    • Posts 8

down to 161 bytes:

i;main(){float X,Y=-1,x,y,a,b;for(;Y<1;putchar(10),Y+=.02)for(X=-2;x=X,y=Y,X<1;putchar(i/999*3+32),X+=.02)for(i=0;i++<998&&4>(a=x*x)+(b=y*y);)y=2*x*y+Y,x=a-b+X;} 

• 04-11-2007 7:34 AM In reply to

• Mek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-15-2004
    • Posts 8

down to 158 (with a little loss of precision):

i;main(){float X,Y=-1,x,y,a,b;for(;Y<1;putchar(10),Y+=.02)for(X=-2;x=X,y=Y,X<1;putchar(i/99+32),X+=.02)for(i=0;i++<296&&4>(a=x*x)+(b=y*y);)y=2*x*y+Y,x=a-b+X;}

• 04-11-2007 8:15 AM In reply to

Sorry to interrupt, but I'd like to suggest that people post their solutions unobfuscated, and count chars as if they were.

In complex analysis, a meromorphic function on an open subset D of the complex plane is a function that is holomorphic on all D except a set of isolated points

• 04-11-2007 8:23 AM In reply to

• Mek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-15-2004
    • Posts 8

Okay, my code with indentation:

i;
    main() {
            float X, Y = -1, x, y, a, b;
            for (; Y < 1; putchar(10), Y += .02)
                    for (X = -2; x = X, y = Y, X < 1; putchar(i / 99 + 32), X += .02)
                            for (i = 0; i++ < 296 && 4 > (a = x * x) + (b = y * y);)
                                    y = 2 * x * y + Y, x = a - b + X;
    }

• 04-11-2007 3:09 PM In reply to

for($b=-2;$b<2;$b+=.1,print"\n"){
        for($a=-2;$a<2;$a+=.1,print(chr($i%99+32))){
            $x=$a;$y=$b;
            for($i=0;($c=$x**2)+($d=$y**2)<4and$i++<99;){
                $y=2*$x*$y+$b;
                $x=$c-$d+$a;
            }
        }
    }

163, but perl needs all these stupid $s, and there are 25 of them , so I am comfortable saying  138 :-)

• 04-11-2007 3:58 PM In reply to

• iwpg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2006
    • Posts 258

dhromed:
    Sorry to interrupt, but I'd like to suggest that people post their solutions unobfuscated,

Here's mine, with added whitespace and some trivial rearrangements to make the line-breaks go in nicer places:

import Complex

main = mapM putStrLn [["# " !! (fromEnum $ 2 >=
                                    (magnitude $ foldl (\t _ -> t^2 + (x:+y)/40)
                                                   0 [0..99]))
                           | x <- [-98..55]]
                          | y <- [-55..55]]

dhromed:
    and count chars as if they were.

Do you mean "as if they were obfuscated", i.e. the previous char count is still valid? 

• 04-12-2007 10:46 AM In reply to

iwpg:

dhromed:
    and count chars as if they were.

Do you mean "as if they were obfuscated", i.e. the previous char count is still valid? 

*ahem* 

Yes.

Cursed double negatives!

In complex analysis, a meromorphic function on an open subset D of the complex plane is a function that is holomorphic on all D except a set of isolated points

• 04-13-2007 1:35 PM In reply to

I managed to remove most of the $ from coplate's entry, but the RE machinery needed to do that takes up nearly as much space:
    $_='~B"\n"){~A(chr(I%99+32))){X=A;Y=B;for(I=0;(C=X**2)+(D=Y**2)<4andI++<99;){Y=2*X*Y+B;X=C-D+A;}}}';
    s/~(.)/for\($1=-2;$1<2;$1+=\.1,print/g;
    s/([A-Z])/\$$1/g;
    eval;
    161 bytes. I'm not sure that was actually worth the effort...
    (that IS the unobfuscated version)
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)