Oracle vs. Postgres, the choice is obvious

• Was there a reason you felt compelled to resurrect a four year old thread for your first post?

I agree on the annoyingness of sqlldr. On the other hand, I haven't used sqlldr for years; I just use TOAD's Import function whenever I need to load data from a file.

•  Hi everyone,

In my opinion, the Oracle is a very suitable database as compared to the other. It has given the many facility as compared to the other . These are the following -

1- They provide the maximum connection in the networking .

2- They allow the native language also .

3- Provide the easily graphical user interface 

etc 

I hope that it is a sufficient . No one can refuse it.

Thanking you .

• Necroooooooooooh ahoy!

Who lit the candles?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

No-one. This is not the necro you're looking for.

• ♿ (Parody)

@PJH said:

No-one. This is not the necro you're looking for.

Sure, but the spam post is actually sort of on topic (I don't know how accurate it is), so either someone is writing these manually, or we should show bridgett99 this excellent AI that's able to make on topic-ish spam posts.

• It amazes me that people are still making excuses for SQLPlus. I don't usually make comments like this, but it's fucking 2012. SQLPlus can shell out to Notepad or vi? How kind of it. I suppose that if Oracle made a jet they would let me bring my own wings if, you know, I were into that sort of thing. And the rationales people give for choosing Oracle are just pathetic. Managers are afraid? Somebody said it handles big data better? Please... I've used just about every RDBMS mentioned in this thread and I've seen Oracle get hung up on big data every bit as often as Postgresql or SQL Server. It also had a pretty glaring bug involving the IN operator when I was using it. So much for being robust... and I've never seen anyone get fired unless they broke a rule or the company ran out of money. Getting fired for choosing Postgresql instead of Oracle? That's laughable. As for Toad, the notion that I should have to supplement anything as expensive as Oracle is really pathetic, and "Toad" is far too unpalatably named for me to ever use. That might sound capricious, but where's the line? What if it were called Asscheese or DocMengele? I programmed Oracle for years, but I don't get it anymore. By 2012 standards, it's an inferior product.

•  You "programmed Oracle for years"...?

Obvious troll is still too obvious.

• @Cassidy said:

You "programmed Oracle for years"...?

Obvious troll is still too obvious.

I considered changing that to be more specific, but in the final analysis I thought it was pretty obvious what I meant. In any case, I'll spoon-feed it to you so that you'll have something to read between episodes of The People's Court:

I was involved in the development of client applications and batch processes that used Oracle databases for several years. During this time, I wrote "fat client" applications that accessed these databases directly, as well as otherwise similar GUI applications that worked through a middle tier or ORM. I also was involved in the development of PL/SQL code units resident on these databases. At various times during this part of my career, I had the misfortune of using SQL*Plus, a rudimentary terminal program provided by Oracle for the purpose of running DML and DDL commands on one of their database servers, e.g. from a developer's PC.

Happy? Now go back the Cadillac in and out of the driveway a few times. And I'll bet you're a real joy on blind dates.

• @bridget99 said:

In any case, I'll spoon-feed it to you so that you'll have something to read between episodes of The People's Court:

For years, I programmed applications that used Oracle databases

FTFY.

Now, you've had a go at SQL*Plus-defenders and at SQL*Plus itself... but you haven't really explained your distain nor offered any insight into what you expect from the tool - or offered something better as a comparison.

@bridget99 said:

And I'll bet you're a real joy on blind dates.

That's not the way to invite me out, you know. You'll have to work on those chat-up lines somewhat.