Amazingly screwed-up installation experience

• @dhromed said:

pleasingly small hardbody

Mmmm..

@dhromed said:

In which household? None that I've ever been in. floppies were on the way out when I was on the way in to computing, and we've always talked about "real floppy"(5.25" bendy) and "floppy" (3.5" non-bendy)

I had hundreds of 5.25" floppies; in the mid-90s you could pick up a box for a few bucks at a garage sale. I got tons of weird games that way. Weird shareware written in gw-basic that was clearly never distributed beyond maybe a hundred people.

I actually had far fewer 3.5" floppies because by the time I was in computing they were on their way out, like you say. My 5.25" collection was more of a curiosity and "real" software came on CDs.

Although, I do remember buying some shareware games through the mail on 3.5" and even back in the day getting AOL trial disks for DOS on 3.5" floppies. In fact, my very first experience connecting to the Internet from my own computer was with a 14.4k ISA modem (which only ran at 9660), on DOS, using one of those AOL disks.

My first couple of years of college I used 3.5" floppies, too, because that was before USB thumb drives were at all economical. I actually saved my work to my personal FTP server, but when I had to turn in CompSci homework it was required to be submitted on 3.5" floppy.

• @Zecc said:

Are you telling me you never transformed a low density floppy into a high density floppy with the magical powers of a drill? I may be a wee bit older than you then.

Remember the read-only tab? And if it broke, you just taped over it? And for 5.25" floppies the slot was always taped over; on some disks it was molded closed, but you could use an x-acto knife to make it read/write.

BTW, how old are you?

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

And for 5.25" floppies the slot was always taped over; on some disks it was molded closed, but you could use an x-acto knife to make it read/write.

I always used a single hole punch. The disk manufacturers always told you not to do this, because you'd end up with plastic fragments that would kill the disk. I don't think anyone ever believed them. I had a lot more problems with 3.5" disks going bad than 5.25"s.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Remember the read-only tab? And if it broke, you just taped over it? And for 5.25" floppies the slot was always taped over; on some disks it was molded closed, but you could use an x-acto knife to make it read/write.

BTW, how old are you?

Yes. Yes. No. 34 (physically. Mentally I'm probably around 17. Being a grown-up is hard)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dhromed said:

@El_Heffe said:
    Firefox has been using for their stupid fucking fuck bullshit

You mean that address bar in FFX that works perfectly?

You mean this one?:

Taken from FF31.0, so it's not going to be fixed anytime soon for the masses....

• @Zecc said:

Are you telling me you never transformed a low density floppy into a high density floppy with the magical powers of a drill? I may be a wee bit older than you then.

We did these things.

@Zecc said:

Edit: zip disks were great. I've been lucky that not a single one I owned has failed on me.

Ohh, those, yes. I found then extremely convenient. The ability to write 100 MB at will outweighed the expensive proprietary drives.

•  @morbiuswilters said:

FOSS people--will try to tell you it's your fault.

Never happened to me.

• @PJH said:

You mean this one?:

Taken from FF31.0, so it's not going to be fixed anytime soon for the masses....

Yeah, my Windows command line also doesn't work when I give it bash commands and I don't know what your point is when you're deliberately doing wrong things.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

Yeah, my Windows command line also doesn't work when I give it bash commands and I don't know what your point is when you're deliberately doing wrong things.

In FF 29, it works if you put the search term first. In Chrome, PJH's example works.

• @boomzilla said:

In Chrome, PJH's example works.

I expect it to work in Chrome, since I know site: is a google-specific search command. Makes sense to put that in their omnibar as well.

@boomzilla said:

In FF 29, it works if you put the search term first.

Because Firefox's standard fallback for random words is to give it over to google.

• @PJH said:

@dhromed said:
    @El_Heffe said:

You mean this one?:

<font face="courier new,courier">site: slashdot.org Firefox</font> is not a valid URL, which by the way, is what you're supposed to type into THE FUCKING URL BOX.  Conflating URLs and search is beyond stupid.  And even moreso when right next to the URL box is . . . . . drum roll . . . . . A BOX SPECIFICALLY FOR ENTERING SEARCH QUERIES!!

The fact that you can't type search queries into the URL box shows that someone at Mozilla is not compeltely insane. But, not to worrry, I'm sure they will change that eventually.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@El_Heffe said:

<font face="courier new,courier">site: slashdot.org Firefox</font> is not a valid URL, which by the way, is what you're supposed to type into THE FUCKING URL BOX.  Conflating URLs and search is beyond stupid.  And even moreso when right next to the URL box is . . . . . drum roll . . . . . A BOX SPECIFICALLY FOR ENTERING SEARCH QUERIES!!
    The point I was replying to was that it's no longer just a 'fucking URL box' but an 'awsome bar' which doubles as a search box. Most of the time. And when I first got Australis, I didn't actually have a search box visible.

• ♿ (Parody)

@El_Heffe said:

Conflating URLs and search is beyond stupid.

Why do you think so? You assert this often, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

• @dhromed said:

@El_Heffe said:

Yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Depending on your definiton of "works". Prior to the introduction of the "Awesome Bar" which I believe was Firefox 3.0, the URL bar would drop down a list of URLs which had been recently typed in. A useful feature for those times when you manually typed something in a few days ago and didn't bookmark it.

Now, the URL bar drops down a list of random URLs, some of them current, some of them very old, in no meaningful order. The previous workings of the URL bar were, admittedly, something that many people might not use, but, at least it had some use.  In it's current incarnation, I completely fail to see the point of it.

• @boomzilla said:

@El_Heffe said:

How does it make sense?  I don't understand.

A few months ago I was using a computer other than my own and needed to access the Interwebs. The only browser available was Internet Explorer, which I rarely use. I'm pretty sure it was the latest version.  I typed a URL into the URL bar, but instead of taking me to the page . . . . you know, WHAT I ACTUALLY FUCKING TYPED . . . . it took to me to Bing where it did a search for what I typed.  What the fucking fuck? After way too much dicking around I think I finally figured out there was a setting I could change to stop it from doing that, but, fuck me, that's stupid.

Yes, it's a matter of personal preference, but search is search and URLs are URLs. It was good enough for George Washington when he was fighting the Nazis at Pearl Harbor during the Civil War and goddammit it's good enough for me.

• @El_Heffe said:

Now, the URL bar drops down a list of random URLs, some of them current, some of them very old, in no meaningful order.

You can type "egh" and it'll search through history urls and page titles for the address you want.

This is undoubtedly awesome. It's an advanced form of autocomplete, without any of the restrictions.

It means I don't have to remember the specific url, but remembering a tidbit of the page title is enough to get back to some page.

It's useful for websites like TDWTF where the forum urls are meaningless, but the page titles aren't.

• ♿ (Parody)

@El_Heffe said:

@boomzilla said:
    @El_Heffe said:

How does it make sense?  I don't understand.

A few months ago I was using a computer other than my own and needed to access the Interwebs. The only browser available was Internet Explorer, which I rarely use. I'm pretty sure it was the latest version.  I typed a URL into the URL bar, but instead of taking me to the page . . . . you know, WHAT I ACTUALLY FUCKING TYPED . . . . it took to me to Bing where it did a search for what I typed.  What the fucking fuck? After way too much dicking around I think I finally figured out there was a setting I could change to stop it from doing that, but, fuck me, that's stupid.

Yes, it's a matter of personal preference, but search is search and URLs are URLs. It was good enough for George Washington when he was fighting the Nazis at Pearl Harbor during the Civil War and goddammit it's good enough for me.

I can't speak to whatever version of IE you used, but I type shit into the bar and it takes me where I want to go or brings up a google search. It's the "where I want to go" box, AFAIC. I had to get up too early today, but if I hadn't, I'd insert a blakey-esque Luddite rant right here.

• @boomzilla said:

I can't speak to whatever version of IE you used, but I type shit into the bar and it takes me where I want to go or brings up a google search. It's the "where I want to go" box, AFAIC

In IE9, if the thing you type isn't at the exact beginning of a url component, it finds nothing*. If you make a typo, you get sent to bing. And what you typed is somewhere in the bung url, so you have to remove all that just to fix your one typo.

Yeah, IE's address bar is pretty fucked by design.

*)
    - The word "development" is in the title of our CMS on our development server. ".dev." is in the url.
    - "velop" finds nothing. >:(
    - "dev" finds only urls with ".dev." in them >:(

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

This is undoubtedly awesome. It's an advanced form of autocomplete, without any of the restrictions.

I've never understood the hate for the Awesome bar, either. The name always seemed a bit campy, but not really wrong, compared to what it replaced.

• I haven't had problems with FF's bar either. Heck, I'd have even given Australis a chance if scrolling didn't get terribly laggy.

• @Zecc said:

I'd have even given Australis a chance if scrolling didn't get terribly laggy.

norepro

• @dhromed said:

@Zecc said:

I'd have even given Australis a chance if scrolling didn't get terribly laggy.

norepro

norepro for me too in another machine, for what is worth. Downgrading was easier than trying to figure out what the problem was, so...

• @morbiuswilters said:

I had hundreds of 5.25" floppies; in the mid-90s you could pick up a box for a few bucks at a garage sale. I got tons of weird games that way. Weird shareware written in gw-basic that was clearly never distributed beyond maybe a hundred people.
    By any chance, did you save those? I'd love to get my hands on a treasure trove like that...

• @boomzilla said:

I've never understood the hate for the Awesome bar, either. The name always seemed a bit campy, but not really wrong, compared to what it replaced.

The Steam overlay browser doesn't search when you type stuff in the address bar. It drives me crazy every time I see that "Page cannot be found" screen.

• :belt_onion:

You can turn "Search in the address bar" off in Internet Explorer, which is an option I'm not sure you're given in other browsers.

Also, most useful IE setting that's turned off by default: "Go to an intranet site for a single word entry in the Address bar".

• @PJH said:

Refuses to load Slashdot? Sounds like a safety feature.

• @blakeyrat said:

Refuses to load Slashdot? Sounds like a safety feature.

*RIDICULOUSLY INSANE LAUGHTER*

• @heterodox said:

You can turn "Search in the address bar" off in Internet Explorer, which is an option I'm not sure you're given in other browsers.

Also, most useful IE setting that's turned off by default: "Go to an intranet site for a single word entry in the Address bar".

That's my biggest gripe with EVERY browser right now. Try to go to myInternalServer:8080/internalWiki and it decides "Hey, they left off the www...must not be a real address so I'll just google it!" Which naturally doesn't work. Rewrite the URL as http://myInternalServer:8080/internalWiki and somehow the browser says "This looks familiar, I googled it last time so let's take off the http:// and google it again!" Which still doesn't work. It's even worse if that server is only accessible via VPN.

The most frustrating part is I never figured out how I typed it to make it work. There seems to be a lot of black magic and random number generators in browser address bar behavior.

• Bookmarks still work.

• :belt_onion:

@mott555 said:

That's my biggest gripe with EVERY browser right now. Try to go to myInternalServer:8080/internalWiki and it decides "Hey, they left off the www...must not be a real address so I'll just google it!" Which naturally doesn't work. Rewrite the URL as http://myInternalServer:8080/internalWiki and somehow the browser says "This looks familiar, I googled it last time so let's take off the http:// and google it again!" Which still doesn't work. It's even worse if that server is only accessible via VPN.

Yeah, that happens to me too and drives me straight up the wall, but the above IE settings seem to have taken care of it. :)

• @dhromed said:

In which household?
    We always called 5¼ floppies "large" and 3½ "small". I have no idea what 8″ were called - they weren't common enough.

• HYELLO I WOUL DLIKE TO TALK ABOUT FLIOPPY DISKS I AM A GEEK WHYO HAS MANY FLOPPIE DISKS OF MANY TYPES SBECAuSE GEEKS!!!

• @blakeyrat said:

HYELLO I WOUL DLIKE TO TALK ABOUT FLIOPPY DISKS I AM A GEEK WHYO HAS MANY FLOPPIE DISKS OF MANY TYPES SBECAuSE GEEKS!!!

Who are you calling geek, nerd.

• @blakeyrat said:

HYELLO I WOUL DLIKE TO TALK ABOUT FLIOPPY DISKS I AM A GEEK WHYO HAS MANY FLOPPIE DISKS OF MANY TYPES SBECAuSE GEEKS!!!

I have fond memories of using cassette tapes to load Seamus and Spy Hunter on my Commodore 64 as a child. And the magazines that had the source code for games you could type in (in BASIC?) to get your own copy.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@boomzilla said:

@dhromed said:

Why teh hate:

1) It was a process-heavy feature introduced when Firefox was still experiencing massive performance lags and memory leaks. People weren't happy that it would impact performance further.

2) It was a change foisted on people who either didn't want it, or weren't ready for it yet. But they were TOLD too bad, this is a developer's pet project, we know what's best for you. It's quite possibly the root of Mozilla's current cancerous "FUCK YOU USER" attitude.

3) They called it the goddamn "Awesome Bar". It sounds like a name a three year old gives to a toy, not the name of a useful, powerful tool.  Imagine if Steve Jobs had done all of his product announcements in LOLcat speak.  I don't care how great Siri is, if it he went on stage and said "OMG teh phone iz does SP33K"... fuck.

4) Further to #3, they called it the Awesome Bar, and every time a Mozilla drone spoke about it, users were told IT IS AWESOME. It was more than just the title. It was the manner in which the feature was pitched.  Users weren't told about features, or performance improvements, or UX reduction, or given demos about how easy it is to find lost URLS (see previous post about using it on TDWTF forums).  The were being TOLD "it's awesome", but not why. Given the name and the hard sell they were trying to do, it made it sound like a piece of shit a used car salesman was trying to unload on a grandma .

So yeah, that's the hate for the Awesome bar. Stupid fucking name, stupid fucking handling of the release, and ignorant-ass PR from Mozilla.  If they had called it something else, and just released it as a massively improved Address Bar-- rather than making this big to-do about it being this AWESUM NEW FEATURE-- no one would have given two shits or even noticed the change. Until they used it and went "holy shit this is amazing I can actually fucking find sites I visited once 8 months ago".

Because it actually is a good feature. Just shitty, shitty, shitty Mozilla.

So I can see why Google would want to rip off the feature and implement it. People love everything about it-- except for the goddamn LOL name. And that's what they went with.

• @El_Heffe said:

@Zecc said:

@flabdablet said:

Personally, I loathe Chrome (and Chromium). [...]I hate the conflation of addressing and search
    Then you're going to love this.

WTF?  Awesome Bar? <font color="#0000FF" size="4">Awesome Bar?</font> <font color="#FF0000" size="5">Awesome Bar?</font>

You've got to be shitting me. They actually use the same stupid fucking fuck name for their stupid fucking fuck bullshit that Firefox has been using for their stupid fucking fuck bullshit snce before Chrome existed?

No, it's called the Omnibox. That article got it wrong.

• @Ben L. said:

@El_Heffe said:
    @Zecc said:
    @flabdablet said:
    Personally, I loathe Chrome (and Chromium). [...]I hate the conflation of addressing and search
    Then you're going to love this.

WTF?  Awesome Bar? <font color="#0000FF" size="4">Awesome Bar?</font> <font color="#FF0000" size="5">Awesome Bar?</font>

You've got to be shitting me. They actually use the same stupid fucking fuck name for their stupid fucking fuck bullshit that Firefox has been using for their stupid fucking fuck bullshit snce before Chrome existed?

No, it's called the Omnibox. That article got it wrong.
    I am shocked.  SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!

This guy:

Gary Bacon, got it wrong???

• @dhromed said:

@El_Heffe said:
    Now, the URL bar drops down a list of random URLs, some of them current, some of them very old, in no meaningful order.

You can type "egh" and it'll search through history urls and page titles for the address you want.

That's what the History button is for. Just click on it and my entire browsing history appears, which can then be browsed or searched.  Unless I don't remember the URL or page name, in which case I don't know to type 'egh'.

On the other hand, if it's a page I visited by manually typing in a URL, hey there it is in the drop down list.  Oh wait, no it isn't, it's just a random list of 10 URLs that I don't give a shit about because Firefox would rather tell people to fuck off than actually do something useful.@Lorne Kates said:

So yeah, that's the hate for the Awesome bar.
    Stupid fucking name, stupid fucking handling of the release, and
    ignorant-ass PR from Mozilla.  If they had called it something else, and
    just released it as a massively improved Address Bar-- rather than
    making this big to-do about it being this AWESUM NEW FEATURE-- no one
    would have given two shits or even noticed the change. Until they used
    it and went "holy shit this is amazing I can actually fucking find sites
    I visited once 8 months ago".

Except you can find a site you visited 8 months ago by using the History function.  That's why it's there. There's no need to remove a useful feature so you can add a redundant one. Even if I'm the only person in the entire universe who ever used that feature, it still makes to sense to get rid of it just so you can add the GODDAMN FUCKING AWSUM BAR which does nothing but duplicate a feature that already exists.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Now if they could only make it not throw all your desktop icons into a blender then barf them randomly over your screen...

There’s a [url=http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm]fix[/url] for that.

• @El_Heffe said:

Depending on your definiton of "works". Prior to the introduction of the "Awesome Bar" which I believe was Firefox 3.0, the URL bar would drop down a list of URLs which had been recently typed in. A useful feature for those times when you manually typed something in a few days ago and didn't bookmark it.

Now, the URL bar drops down a list of random URLs, some of them current, some of them very old, in no meaningful order. The previous workings of the URL bar were, admittedly, something that many people might not use, but, at least it had some use.  In it's current incarnation, I completely fail to see the point of it.

One of the biggest reasons I switched to Chrome was because of the Awesome Bar. I don't bookmark sites and instead just relied on typing the first couple of characters of the URL and letting it auto-complete for me. When they introduced the Awful Bar it completely fucked up my search results because it was searching the titles of every site I'd ever looked at. The results were in completely fucked-up order and made no sense.

For awhile I limped along using a combination of extensions and config hacks to restore the sane behavior. Eventually Mozilla broke shit so badly that didn't even work any more. Thankfully, I fell backwards into the arms of Chrome. It's 10x faster than Firefox, with fewer god-awful memory leaks and it doesn't randomly crash on me once a week. Firefox delenda est.

• @morbiuswilters said:

One of the biggest reasons I switched to Chrome was because of the Awesome Bar. I don't bookmark sites and instead just relied on typing the first couple of characters of the URL and letting it auto-complete for me. When they introduced the Awful Bar it completely fucked up my search results because it was searching the titles of every site I'd ever looked at. The results were in completely fucked-up order and made no sense.

Oh, that's what the Awesome Bar is. I'm still on FF 28.0 so it still works well enough for me. I really don't want to move to Chrome. Not any real reason, just tried it a few years back and didn't like it.

• @dhromed said:

It means I don't have to remember the specific url, but remembering a tidbit of the page title is enough to get back to some page.

It's useful for websites like TDWTF where the forum urls are meaningless, but the page titles aren't.

Your statement is the exact opposite of awesome. For example, when I want to go to TDWTF forums, I simply type "for" into Chrome and it auto-completes to the full URL. Simple.

Do that in Firefox and it's going to give you 500 nonsense results. It doesn't even fucking anchor the search to the beginning of terms, so you'll end up with results for that time a year ago when you were searching for a used Ford car, results from you search for an abandoned forest and results for chloroform.

Imagine how (much more) useless Google would be if it didn't anchor search terms? Jesus, is there nobody at Mozilla who has ever fucking used a search utility that wasn't grep? I mean, I don't even..

How?? How does Mozilla fuck shit up so badly? If they only stood perfectly still and only touched the code to fix bugs they would have a much product than they do now. It would still be behind everyone else, but it would be better. Every single feature they add makes things worse. Every. Single. Feature.

It's like they hired people who not only suck at UX, but who actively resent the user and want to make him suffer. "They want Grumpy Cat, huh? Well, lets just patch the browser so every single image on the page is replaced with this photo of a constipated chinchilla. That's close enough! If they complain, that's why God invented WONTFIX." I mean, the seething, unbridled hatred Mozilla employees must have for their users just stunning.

• @anotherusername said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    By any chance, did you save those? I'd love to get my hands on a treasure trove like that...

Unfortunately, no. I had them at my parents' house, but all my stuff there was lost.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    there's one area Windows beats Linux: being able to plug or unplug a second monitor without having it randomly freeze up the motherfucking OS.
    Now if they could only make it not throw all your desktop icons into a blender then barf them randomly over your screen...

Windows 7 doesn't do that. If you change your display resolution, icons will be moved if necessary so that they're all visible, but all move back to their original positions when you change the display resolution back to its original setting.

• @mott555 said:

The most frustrating part is I never figured out how I typed it to make it work.

In Chrome, if you just type the full URL, it should work. It is annoying-as-fuck, though. For example, I've worked at places where they use a fake ".dev" TLD that's served up by internal DNS. So your dev site for a project is "project.morbs.dev".

The problem is, if you type that as-is into Chrome it just searches for that shit because it doesn't recognize .dev as a valid TLD. However, if you do: http://project.morbs.dev/ then it will go to it.

Thankfully Chrome's address bar isn't a worthless piece of user-antagonizing shit like the Awesome Bar so if you go to it a few times then Chrome should offer it at the top of the auto-complete list; just start typing "proj" and it will be there and you can select it. If you tried that in Firefox the first 5000 results would have nothing to do with the URL you were trying to type.

So basically if the URL is kind of funny it has to be 100% right or Chrome won't add the scheme and trailing slash automatically. Which is dumb, but easy to work around.

• @Lorne Kates said:

Because it actually is a good feature. Just shitty, shitty, shitty Mozilla.

So I can see why Google would want to rip off the feature and implement it. People love everything about it-- except for the goddamn LOL name. And that's what they went with.

NO NO NO NO NO

• @El_Heffe said:

That's what the History button is for. Just click on it and my entire browsing history appears, which can then be browsed or searched.  Unless I don't remember the URL or page name, in which case I don't know to type 'egh'.

On the other hand, if it's a page I visited by manually typing in a URL, hey there it is in the drop down list.  Oh wait, no it isn't, it's just a random list of 10 URLs that I don't give a shit about because Firefox would rather tell people to fuck off than actually do something useful.

YES YES YES YES YES YES

• @morbiuswilters said:

Your statement is the exact opposite of awesome. For example, when I want to go to TDWTF forums, I simply type "for" into Chrome and it auto-completes to the full URL. Simple.

Do that in Firefox and it's going to give you 500 nonsense results.

Just for fun I tried that in the Awesome Bar. I typed "for" and sure enough, there was "ums.thedailywtf.com/" up there, highlighted, waiting for me to hit enter.

• @anotherusername said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    there's one area Windows beats Linux: being able to plug or unplug a second monitor without having it randomly freeze up the motherfucking OS.

Windows 7 doesn't do that. If you change your display resolution, icons will be moved if necessary so that they're all visible, but all move back to their original positions when you change the display resolution back to its original setting.

Well then, you should come over and tell my copy of Win7pro its doing things wrong. When I change from my external monitors (1920x1080 + 1680x1050) to my laptop's own screen (1600x900), Windows shuffles my icons randomly, even they are all arranged within a 16x9 rectangle at the top left of the display area. When I reconnect the external monitors, most but not all go back to their original positions, sometimes. Eventually they wind up scrambled.

It's not really a big deal. I rarely use desktop icons, anyway; usually I can't even see my desktop. Everything I use routinely is pinned to the task bar, or the start menu, or is available through Open on the appropriate file type. It's just a little annoying. It's not as annoying as resizing all my windows and stacking them on top of each other to fit the smaller display, and not putting them back where they belong.

• @anotherusername said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Do that in Firefox and it's going to give you 500 nonsense results.

Just for fun I tried that in the Awesome Bar. I typed "for" and sure enough, there was "ums.thedailywtf.com/" up there, highlighted, waiting for me to hit enter.

You haven't been searching for Fords, forests and chloroform, then.