PayPal and old credit cards

• I bought something on ebay and went to pay via PayPal. PayPal has a whole list of old, expired credit cards under my payment options that I could never figure out how to remove. I accidentally tried to use one and naturally my payment failed. When it asked me for payment type again, I notice the card I used had been removed from the list. So I figured I'd finally found a roundabout way to remove old cards.

This time I selected another old card, so it would get removed as well. Except payment succeeded. Everything I see in PayPal indicates that the charge was successful.

• Careful, you may have just admitted to credit card fraud …

• Considered Harmful

@Buttembly Coder said:

Careful, you may have just admitted to credit card fraud …

Credit card fraud with your own credit card account in your own name. The perfect crime.

• @Buttembly Coder said:

I'm assuming it was a delayed transaction of some kind and it'll fail later today. If I don't hear about it I'll have to get in touch with customer support (assuming PayPal has customer support).

• @joe.edwards said:

@Buttembly Coder said:

Credit card fraud with your own credit card account in your own name. The perfect crime.

On that thought, it would be truly hilarious to find out that a CC company is reusing card numbers.

• Considered Harmful

@mott555 said:

@Buttembly Coder said:
    I'm assuming it was a delayed transaction of some kind and it'll fail later today. If I don't hear about it I'll have to get in touch with customer support (assuming PayPal has customer support).

I have noticed that Paypal charges tend to post sometimes up to 48 hours after I make a payment.

• @Buttembly Coder said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @Buttembly Coder said:

On that thought, it would be truly hilarious to find out that a CC company is reusing card numbers.

Reusing credit card numbers with the exact same account name, expiration date and CCV number?

• @Buttembly Coder said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @Buttembly Coder said:

The real risk here is that you've just renewed that old forgotten card, and can expect to be contacted by the issuing bank for whatever annual fee they charge....

• @da Doctah said:

@Buttembly Coder said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @Buttembly Coder said:

The real risk here is that you've just renewed that old forgotten card, and can expect to be contacted by the issuing bank for whatever annual fee they charge....

The card was revoked after the number was somehow stolen, and I was issued a new card with a new number for the same account. It would be a big WTF if the old number was still active especially since it was stolen and I'd had fraudulent charges on it before. Same thing with the other card, wasn't stolen that I know of but after the Target thing my bank issued me a new one anyway.

• @mott555 said:

@da Doctah said:

@Buttembly Coder said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @Buttembly Coder said:

The card was revoked after the number was somehow stolen, and I was issued a new card with a new number for the same account. It would be a big WTF if the old number was still active especially since it was stolen and I'd had fraudulent charges on it before. Same thing with the other card, wasn't stolen that I know of but after the Target thing my bank issued me a new one anyway.

or they kept the card active as a honeypot to track who stole your card

next thing you know you have the police knocking on your door 

• @mott555 said:

assuming PayPal has customer support

You're funny.

• @Mcoder said:

@mott555 said:

assuming PayPal has customer support

You're funny.

I know for a fact that they have some kind of customer support, because once when I scheduled a bank transfer of $50,000 they actually called me to make sure everything was legit before they allowed the transaction to go through.

•  I know that if you had done this then we wouldn't have an interesting WTF, but how hard is it to log into PayPal, go to profile > my money, and then click Update next to payment details?

• @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

I know that if you had done this then we wouldn't have an interesting WTF, but how hard is it to log into PayPal, go to profile > my money, and then click Update next to payment details?

It had never occurred to me. The only time I use PayPal is for ebay purchases and I'd kind of forgotten you could even log into out outside of the ebay purchase confirmation.