Why mathematicians are no fun at parties

• @Snooder said:

A: I never said I was a liberal.

You voluntarily wear pink shirts, brah.

@Snooder said:

B: What lies? I'm telling you that I have literally been in conversations with people who are anti-genetically modified foodand their reason was because they are religious. Are you telling me that religious people don't exist? or that super religious southerners are liberal?

Fine, you have a very biased sample-set. I'm still saying that first-and-foremost it's a Whole-Foods-shopping, Prius-driving, Obama-voting issue.

• @flabdablet said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    there are tons of studies showing that long-term fasting can cause weakening of the heart muscle.
    If you could link to the best ones you know of, I'd appreciate it; this is actually an issue that my beloved has expressed concern about.

Here's a fairly recent one: The heart is better protected against myocardial infarction in the fed state compared to the fasted state

I spent about 30 minutes effing around with Google, but all I got were a bunch of blogs that were either pro-fasting or anti-fasting with no research. A good bet for medical papers (and I wish I'd checked it sooner) is to search PubMed. That's where I got the above one from. You'll have to dig a lot, but it gives tons of results.

Anyway, it seems there's no strong case I can find either way. Moderate fasting is probably worth the tiny, tiny risk (assuming it even is a risk) if it gets the weight off.

• @morbiuswilters said:

You're lucky your professor wasn't an avowed Marxist. Those people are fucking insane.
    At least that might have been less dull. I'm not sure he was even alive.

• @HardwareGeek said:

However, for the other stuff, if your body cannot digest foods that have been staples since the dawn of humanity, please do not contribute your defective genes to future generations.
    Even accepting that philosophy, those with such problems probably still want to eat, so there's still a reason to have gluten-free etc. food available.

In fact I have a co-worker in this situation. She's celiac, but intends quite strongly never to have children, so no defective gene transmission there. But she still likes to eat food from time to time, for which I can't really blame her.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    However, for the other stuff, if your body cannot digest foods that have been staples since the dawn of humanity, please do not contribute your defective genes to future generations.
    Even accepting that philosophy, those with such problems probably still want to eat, so there's still a reason to have gluten-free etc. food available.

In fact I have a co-worker in this situation. She's celiac, but intends quite strongly never to have children, so no defective gene transmission there. But she still likes to eat food from time to time, for which I can't really blame her.

All I ask is that she undergo government-verified sterilization. At that point, she will be issued a patch:

This is to be sewn to her clothing and must be worn at all times, to identify her as gluten-intolerant in public. With that patch, she will gain access to the two conveniently-located gluten-free commissaries to be built in the United States.

She will not be allowed to hold U.S. Dollars, but instead anyone who does business with her--as well as your employer--will have to pay her in government-issued scrip, which they can purchase with USDs. She can then use this scrip at the commissaries to buy bags of rice and animal offal for consumption.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@HardwareGeek said:

It makes sense for people with celiac to avoid gluten. It's all the faddish foodies who are the real problem. I keep a seafood free diet. But not because I think it's unhealthy. I just have a problem with food that tastes bad.

• @morbiuswilters said:

You're lucky your professor wasn't an avowed Marxist. Those people are fucking insane.

My socially class was basically Marx is great, the world is a global village, and communism could solve the world's problems and promotes morality. My first paper I argued against it and got a D. My next I wrote like I was a leftist hippie living in a commune, got an A with a comment "Now you're getting it"

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said:

I keep a seafood free diet. But not because I think it's unhealthy. I just have a problem with food that tastes bad.
    Seafood needs to be eaten very fresh for it to be good; its quality drops rapidly as it loses freshness, and it easily becomes actively hazardous to eat if not stored correctly. The warmer the ambient environment is, the faster the decay.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said:

@boomzilla said:
    I keep a seafood free diet. But not because I think it's unhealthy. I just have a problem with food that tastes bad.
    Seafood needs to be eaten very fresh for it to be good; its quality drops rapidly as it loses freshness, and it easily becomes actively hazardous to eat if not stored correctly. The warmer the ambient environment is, the faster the decay.

In other news, water is wet, the sun is hot, and Ben L. loves cats. No, I mean loves cats.

•  19th century technology called "caning" has seen to it that sea-food stays fresh all round the year.

@dkf said:

@boomzilla said:

• @Nagesh said:

19th century technology called "caning" has seen to it that sea-food stays fresh all round the year.
    The next time I go out for seafood I'll be sure to ask if they regularly cane their products to keep it fresh.

• @mott555 said:

@Nagesh said:
    19th century technology called "caning" has seen to it that sea-food stays fresh all round the year.
    The next time I go out for seafood I'll be sure to ask if they regularly cane their products to keep it fresh.
    Caning is sometimes used in schools.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@mott555 said:
    @Nagesh said:

Insert joke about catholic shoolgirls and "fresh seafood" here.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@mott555 said:
    @Nagesh said:
    And to make wicker furniture.

• @dkf said:

Seafood needs to be eaten very fresh for it to be good; its quality drops rapidly as it loses freshness, and bla bla bla bla

Dude doesn't like fish. Get off his case, man.

• @DrakeSmith said:

@morbiuswilters said:

My socially class was basically Marx is great, the world is a global village, and communism could solve the world's problems and promotes morality. My first paper I argued against it and got a D. My next I wrote like I was a leftist hippie living in a commune, got an A with a comment "Now you're getting it"

I had a professor that gave me Ds or Fs on every paper, purely for ideological reasons. I'm absolutely sure my papers were the best-written, most-thoughtful in the class (it was pretty much entry-level) but he didn't like me. And meanwhile, there were lots of dopes in that class gliding by with As and Bs. It got bad enough that I resolved that once I got my grade for the class (probably a D or F) I would file a complaint. Then I got my final grade and it was a B+. I figure the professor must've finally realized that if he actually gave me a D or F for final grade his ass would be in trouble, because there's no other explanation. I mean, literally, every grade I got in the class was below C and there's no way "class participation" could bring me up from an F to a B+.

• @Snooder said:

@HardwareGeek said:

@mott555 said:
    @Nagesh said:
    Insert joke about catholic shoolgirls and "fresh seafood" here.

I disposed of those Catholic schoolgirls' bodies by dumping them in an area with lots of crabs and fish. bah-dum-tish

• @morbiuswilters said:

@DrakeSmith said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

I had a professor that gave me Ds or Fs on every paper, purely for ideological reasons. I'm absolutely sure my papers were the best-written, most-thoughtful in the class (it was pretty much entry-level) but he didn't like me. And meanwhile, there were lots of dopes in that class gliding by with As and Bs. It got bad enough that I resolved that once I got my grade for the class (probably a D or F) I would file a complaint. Then I got my final grade and it was a B+. I figure the professor must've finally realized that if he actually gave me a D or F for final grade his ass would be in trouble, because there's no other explanation. I mean, literally, every grade I got in the class was below C and there's no way "class participation" could bring me up from an F to a B+.

Still better than getting your ass hauled to a gulag.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Maciejasjmj said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Maciejasjmj said:
    Apparently, way back in the 60s, when Poland was still on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall...

Thank God Poland moved a few hundred miles west..

Yes, that's exactly what happened. We're currently adrift in the Atlantic Ocean and preparing to invade the U.S. once we figure out how to make a big enough paddle.

Western Massachusetts and SE Wisconsin will be meeting you, under the reverse "Russians in Ukraine" model.