Why mathematicians are no fun at parties

• @Ben L. said:

@drurowin said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @drurowin said:
    @da Doctah said:
    Bread is already skeevy in Spanish-speaking countries:
    Grupo Bimbo actually dominates the USA bread market too. It's why I'm waiting for the eventual famine and riots in America - you guys have forgotten to produce ANYTHING... No bread, no meat; I'm surprised there are even still dairies in the US.

What state do you live in? The one south of Texas?

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Most of Ireland.

But you shop in American supermarkets? That must cost a lot of money on gasoline petrol, old chap.

No, there's this thing called "the Internet", on which I can look up "Bimbo truck", find both "Bang Bus" and "Grupo Bimbo", and from there find that Grupo Bimbo bought the USAian baking company "Sara Lee" a while ago. Further research unearthed that Sara Lee (that Bimbo!) makes about three dozen brands of bread, including most store brands, and that Bimbo has moved their production to México.

• @drurowin said:

Grupo Bimbo actually dominates the USA bread market too.

What the fuck are you talking about? The only bread brand of theirs I even recognize is Sara Lee, which has got to be like in 20th place for bread sales nationwide.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

What the fuck are you talking about? The only bread brand of theirs I even recognize is Sara Lee, which has got to be like in 20th place for bread sales nationwide.

Besides, bread is out. The start was the low-carb hysteria. Today's fad is "gluten intolerance" and just avoidance in-general. I don't know if it's spread across the pond, but over here there are a large number of people who think avoiding gluten will keep them from getting cancer, AIDS and all kind of mental defects. These retards aren't even sure what gluten is, but they're sure it's poison and they avoid it like the plague. (And every last one of these mouth-breathing pieces of shit is an Obama voter, I guaran-fucking-tee it.)

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

American hypermarket chain Wal-Mart Stores has an exclusive contract to carry bread made by Grupo Bimbo, according to their website. Every brand of bread you get at that hypermarket is from México.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @drurowin said:

Besides, bread is out. The start was the low-carb hysteria. Today's fad is "gluten intolerance" and just avoidance in-general. I don't know if it's spread across the pond, but over here there are a large number of people who think avoiding gluten will keep them from getting cancer, AIDS and all kind of mental defects. These retards aren't even sure what gluten is, but they're sure it's poison and they avoid it like the plague. (And every last one of these mouth-breathing pieces of shit is an Obama voter, I guaran-fucking-tee it.)

I remember when I was visiting the fabled Canada, and I looked at a shared US/CA package of food. It had, in larger type than anything on the package other than the product logo, a list of allergens. If they tried that shit over here, they'd get laughed out of business in like a week. Food allergies are a myth at best, and a psychosomatic catastrophe at worst.

*This post was processed in a facility using shared equipment that also processes peanuts, tree nuts, and other potential allergens. Consume at your own peril.

• @morbiuswilters said:

As a side note, the ASA would probably make them change "Gluten Free" labelling to read "Gluten included at no extra charge".

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @drurowin said:

American hypermarket chain Wal-Mart Stores has an exclusive contract to carry bread made by Grupo Bimbo, according to their website. Every brand of bread you get at that hypermarket is from México.

That is a lie and you are a moron.

• @drurowin said:

I remember when I was visiting the fabled Canada, and I looked at a shared US/CA package of food. It had, in larger type than anything on the package other than the product logo, a list of allergens. If they tried that shit over here, they'd get laughed out of business in like a week. Food allergies are a myth at best, and a psychosomatic catastrophe at worst.

C'mon, you can troll better than that!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

C'mon, you can troll better than that!

I just woke up. Besides, trolling about bread is hard. Can we do healthcare or the ozone hole instead?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@morbiuswilters said:

The start was the low-carb hysteria. Today's fad is "gluten intolerance" and just avoidance in-general.
    Just get the idiots to start avoiding drinking anything that's liquid due to contamination with dihydrogen monoxide. (I'd suggest total food avoidance instead, but that's slower.)@morbiuswilters said:
    I don't know if it's spread across the pond
    Yes, but only really among the Tory-voting fashionistas of London.

• @dkf said:

Tory-voting fashionistas of London.

Band name detected.

• @dkf said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Odd. Here it's mostly retarded liberal pseudo-hippie douchebags.

• @morbiuswilters said:

mostly retarded liberal pseudo-hippie douchebags.

Equally suitable band name detected.

• @drurowin said:

ozone hole

That's a horrible thing to call Julia Beverly:

• @oheso said:

Coincidentally, "Equally Suitable Band Name Detected" is the name of my band. It's ironic. We wear fedoras and play ska.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@oheso said:

Coincidentally, "Equally Suitable Band Name Detected" is the name of my band. It's ironic. We wear fedoras and play ska.

That's only a little bit ironic. Really ironic would be if you wear ska and play fedoras.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    The start was the low-carb hysteria. Today's fad is "gluten intolerance" and just avoidance in-general.
    Just get the idiots to start avoiding drinking anything that's liquid due to contamination with dihydrogen monoxide. (I'd suggest total food avoidance instead, but that's slower.)@morbiuswilters said:
    Any other breatharians here?

@joe.edwards said:

If there are, there won't be for very long.

• @joe.edwards said:

@dkf said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

Of course you Americans don't believe in breatharianism. "What, going ten minutes without stuffing handfuls of donuts and french fried potatoes into your mouth? Why, you'd die!"

• @drurowin said:

This is an inaccurate statement. While they do carry Bimbo products, under that and other names, around here, at least, they also sell bread baked locally. I know this because I regularly buy either this brand or one that I just found out is baked by Bimbo Bakeries USA (not, AFAIK, located in México, yet), whichever happens to be less expensive on a given day.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@drurowin said:
    This is an inaccurate statement. While they do carry Bimbo products, under that and other names, around here, at least, they also sell bread baked locally. I know this because I regularly buy either this brand or one that I just found out is baked by Bimbo Bakeries USA (not, AFAIK, located in México, yet), whichever happens to be less expensive on a given day.

Hint: drurowin is a troll. And not a very good one. He says really silly things to trick people into wasting time refuting him. If you fall for it, he'll just throw more silly facts out there. I've been trying to get him to at least improve the quality of his trolling, but he seems resistant.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    @drurowin said:

Hint: drurowin is a troll. And not a very good one. He says really silly things to trick people into wasting time refuting him. If you fall for it, he'll just throw more silly facts out there. I've been trying to get him to at least improve the quality of his trolling, but he seems resistant.

A lie isn't a lie until someone believes it.

• @drurowin said:

That's really deep, dude. Serious.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

That's really deep, dude. Serious.

I'm going to try targeted trolling against Go apologists and higher-brow wordplay for a while, since you're not appreciating my "basement nutter" persona.

• @drurowin said:

Ooh! Ooh! Me me me me me! I can do those...

• A burglar isn't a burglar until there's a house in their way.
    • A mugger isn't a mugger until there's a person in their way.
    • A banker isn't a criminal until somebody lets them look after their money.
    • A politician isn't a liar until they open their mouth to speak.

Aaaand I'm spent.

• @joe.edwards said:

I'm almost a part time breatharian: I fast (water and occasional other negligible-energy drinks only) from each full moon until the next new moon, or until my body mass is down to target, whichever happens later; these endpoints are usually within a couple days of each other, so I end up doing a 15 to 17 day fast each lunar month.

I've been doing this for about six months now and expect to keep doing it for the rest of my life. That looks easily achievable, because this is by far the least complicated and least difficult method I've ever used for controlling my body's tendency to run to fat. Not eating at all comes way easier, both physically and psychologically, than anything based on portion control and/or food type avoidance and/or time-of-day restriction. It's cheap, too :-)

Both halves of the cycle have much to recommend them. While waning it's fun to see the scales reading substantially and consistently lower every day, I need less sleep and wake more easily and more refreshed, and I have more stamina. While waxing I get to leave the scales in the cupboard and eat whatever I want to whenever I want it, without the nagging fear that I'm dooming myself to an early death. I now get to feel, for weeks at a time, like those lucky folk who don't run to fat feel all the time. And as a fat man who has had an uneasy relationship with food for most of my life, that's just splendid.

• @drurowin said:

a shared US/CA package of food. It had, in larger type than anything on the package other than the product logo, a list of allergens.

This always amuses me. I buy a box of shredded wheat, and it has a warning on it that says "Contains Wheat".

I hope so, dammit! And it better be the only ingredient, too!

Or a bag of peanuts. "Contains Peanuts"....

I guess I should be worried about the ones that don't have the allergen warnings...

@too_many_usernames said:

Or a bag of peanuts. "Contains Peanuts"....
    “Produced in a factory that also handles peanuts.”

• @drurowin said:

Nope. A lie isn't a FRAUD until someone believes it. It's still a lie even if everyone knows it's not true.

• BINNED

@morbiuswilters said:

but over here there are a large number of people who think avoiding gluten will keep them from getting cancer, AIDS and all kind of mental defects. These retards aren't even sure what gluten is, but they're sure it's poison and they avoid it like the plague.

It's contained in MMR vaccines and causes autism. How can you be so ignorant, gluten kills!!

@morbiuswilters said:

(And every last one of these mouth-breathing pieces of shit is an Obama voter, I guaran-fucking-tee it.)

Watching it over here from the EUssr, it feels like all of them are "tea party". And their hobby is demonstrating against the murderers in abortion clinics and hailing the wars that bring the freedoms to evil countries by killing leading their population to goD.

• @topspin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

but over here there are a large number of people who think avoiding gluten will keep them from getting cancer, AIDS and all kind of mental defects. These retards aren't even sure what gluten is, but they're sure it's poison and they avoid it like the plague.

It's contained in MMR vaccines and causes autism. How can you be so ignorant, gluten kills!!

@morbiuswilters said:

(And every last one of these mouth-breathing pieces of shit is
    an Obama voter, I guaran-fucking-tee it.)

Watching it over here from the EUssr, it feels like all of them are "tea party". And their hobby is demonstrating against the murderers in abortion clinics and hailing the wars that bring the freedoms to evil countries by killing leading their population to goD.

It's pretty easy to get that feeling, given that Captain Conservatism himself endorses it (or has endorsed it, or whatever - I don't follow this bullshit.)

There is no one political group for idiocy. Most people just assume it's whoever is their "opposite".

• ♿ (Parody)

@Buttembly Coder said:

It's pretty easy to get that feeling, given that Captain Conservatism himself endorses it (or has endorsed it, or whatever - I don't follow this bullshit.)

He's Captain Conservativism in the same way the Gluten Free is Super Science.

@Buttembly Coder said:

There is no one political group for idiocy. Most people just assume it's whoever is their "opposite".

Yeah, but those guys are our idiots.

• @boomzilla said:

@Buttembly Coder said:

That's just what I've always heard him called; ymmv. I know enough conservatives to know that many consider him a blowhard, but he does blow very hard.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Buttembly Coder said:

@boomzilla said:
    @Buttembly Coder said:

That's just what I've always heard him called; ymmv. I know enough conservatives to know that many consider him a blowhard, but he does blow very hard.

I think he's called that mainly by people who hate him but have never watched him. I've watched him. I don't hate him, but I'm not a fan of his style. Ideologically, he's all over the place. The thing he has going for him is his bluntness and his ability to appear to fully and passionately believe everything he says. Whether that's a part of the show or real, I couldn't say. I like watching Dennis Miller and his words of the day.

• @flabdablet said:

@joe.edwards said:

I'm almost a part time breatharian: I fast (water and occasional other negligible-energy drinks only) from each full moon until the next new moon, or until my body mass is down to target, whichever happens later; these endpoints are usually within a couple days of each other, so I end up doing a 15 to 17 day fast each lunar month.

I've been doing this for about six months now and expect to keep doing it for the rest of my life. That looks easily achievable, because this is by far the least complicated and least difficult method I've ever used for controlling my body's tendency to run to fat. Not eating at all comes way easier, both physically and psychologically, than anything based on portion control and/or food type avoidance and/or time-of-day restriction. It's cheap, too :-)

Both halves of the cycle have much to recommend them. While waning it's fun to see the scales reading substantially and consistently lower every day, I need less sleep and wake more easily and more refreshed, and I have more stamina. While waxing I get to leave the scales in the cupboard and eat whatever I want to whenever I want it, without the nagging fear that I'm dooming myself to an early death. I now get to feel, for weeks at a time, like those lucky folk who don't run to fat feel all the time. And as a fat man who has had an uneasy relationship with food for most of my life, that's just splendid.

I used to be in good shape, but I put on weight when I quit smoking. I've always had kind of shitty metabolism (even when exercising a couple of hours a day, my caloric needs seem to be under 2000). My basal metabolic rate seems to be, like, 1200 or so.

So, yeah, I agree that it's a lot easier to fast than it is to do other forms of dieting. After a day or so, you don't even have hunger pangs any more, whereas if you are eating tiny meals you're always going to be hungry (or at least that's how it is for me.)

The only thing you have to be careful about is overdoing it. Your body will break down muscle before fat and if you starve yourself too much, it can weaken your heart (a muscle, obviously.) When I was younger, I lost 45 pounds in 30 days by eating virtually nothing and exercising several hours a day, but in hindsight that was really dangerous.

Anyway, good luck with the fasting.

• @Snooder said:

@drurowin said:

Nope. A lie isn't a FRAUD until someone believes it. It's still a lie even if everyone knows it's not true.

Now you're just being nit-picky.

• @topspin said:

I'm not sure where you get that idea. The anti-vaxer, anti-GMO, anti-gluten crowd is all hippies and urban liberals. I mean, sure, there are probably some conservatives who believe that shit, but it's got to be less than 5%. Seriously, I don't know where the hell you people get your information from. Go to a "health food" store or a Whole Foods and it's all Priuses and "COEXIST" and "Obama 2012" bumper-stickers.

I'm assuming that, as usual, Europeans are pathetically provincial when it comes to anything outside the EU while still telling themselves they are urbane and knowledgeable.

• @Buttembly Coder said:

Bill O'Reilly is not a conservative. At best he's a moderate who tends to lean left on a lot of issues. Seriously, what fucking planet do you live on, buddy?

• @morbiuswilters said:

The anti-vaxer, anti-GMO, anti-gluten crowd is all hippies and urban liberals.

I don't know about the first one there, but it may be because I see a lot of the first one while being in a place that is (generally considered) to be on the right verses the generic lefty you are describing.

• @boomzilla said:

I think he's called that mainly by people who hate him but have never watched him.

I hate him, have only seen clips of his show like three times, but based on what I've seen him say I'd call him a liberal pansy. It's like George Bush (either one): neither was conservative, they were both left-moderates. Had you only changed their party affiliation and nothing else, they would have fit in in as Democrats. (Not a psychotic, America-hating, fascism-embracing, racism-promoting ultra-leftist, mind you, but definitely Democrats.)

• @morbiuswilters said:

Bill O'Reilly is not a conservative.

He's a registered Independent, iirc. My point is not about his actual political leanings, which I'm sure could be demonstrated to flop in many different directions, but that, to people who are outside of US politiking, he is the de facto face of American Conservatives, whether correct or not.

• @locallunatic said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I don't know about the first one there, but it may be because I see a lot of the first one while being in a place that is (generally considered) to be on the right verses the generic lefty you are describing.

Hmm.. every anti-vaxer I've ever met was lefty. And it seems like all of the ideological "leaders" of that movement seem to be strident liberals--Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carey.. probably others. There was that Republican Michelle Bachmann chick who I think said some anti-vaccine shit. Still, it seems like it's 90% lefties who embrace that shit. Same with the anti-GMO, anti-gluten, anti-soy, anti-dairy, etc.--those are all left-wing causes.

• @Buttembly Coder said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    Bill O'Reilly is not a conservative.

He's a registered Independent, iirc. My point is not about his actual political leanings, which I'm sure could be demonstrated to flop in many different directions, but that, to people who are outside of US politiking, he is the de facto face of American Conservatives, whether correct or not.

Fair enough. Most people are ignorant about most of the outside world, so this does not surprise me. It's like how Americans think all Frenchmen are panty-waisted, cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@locallunatic said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

Hmm.. every anti-vaxer I've ever met was lefty. And it seems like all of the ideological "leaders" of that movement seem to be strident liberals--Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carey.. probably others. There was that Republican Michelle Bachmann chick who I think said some anti-vaccine shit. Still, it seems like it's 90% lefties who embrace that shit. Same with the anti-GMO, anti-gluten, anti-soy, anti-dairy, etc.--those are all left-wing causes.

Oh, I agree on those other ones and when you look at vaccine rates based on congressional districts it does seem to be more lefties. I was just pointing out that it seems to have spread enough to not be as much a signature lefty cause anymore, at least based on my (probably biased) observations.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Buttembly Coder said:

Bill O'Reilly is not a conservative. At best he's a moderate who tends to lean left on a lot of issues. Seriously, what fucking planet do you live on, buddy?

He's not a moderate. He only seems "moderate" to conservatives who like to pretend that their own views are moderate. He's pretty well defined as a socially conservative and leans midly right on fiscal issues.

Look, the guy who goes "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and you can too" is not a left-leaning moderate. Nor is the "this is a christian country for christians" guy. Nor is the "black people just need to change their culture to be less shitty" guy. Nor is the guy who calls doctors who perform abortions "baby-killers." It's possibly to hold one of those opinions in a mix of mostly leftist opinions and be a left-leaning moderate. Like a catholic union member who is anti-abortion but pro welfare, pro government, and pro union. But when you, like O'Reilly, hold almost of those rather starkly conservative opinions, and the most leftist thing you've ever said is "well, I don't feel all that strongly about gay marriage"you are not a moderate and sure as fuck not a left-leaning one.

• @locallunatic said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @locallunatic said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

Oh, I agree on those other ones and when you look at vaccine rates based on congressional districts it does seem to be more lefties. I was just pointing out that it seems to have spread enough to not be as much a signature lefty cause anymore, at least based on my (probably biased) observations.

I believe it. It's sort of like how organic foods started out as left-wing nuttery and now it's pretty much just a meaningless fad.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Odd, it's the other way around for me. Most of the anti-vaccination people I've actually met in person are the ultra-religious super-conservatives who don't celebrate birthdays and refuse healthcare for their kids because "it's in God's will."

Anti-gluten, soy, dairy etc, sure that's mostly a bunch of hipster foodies trying to out-vegan each other. But the anti-GMO crowd? I see a lot more of the luddite "man shall not interfere in God's domain" and "man these companies are in cahoots with the gubmint to hurt the small family farm" types. The first group is explicitly conservative. The second may or may not be depending on if he's high from pot or from meth.

• @Snooder said:

He's not a moderate. He only seems "moderate" to conservatives who like to pretend that their own views are moderate. He's pretty well defined as a socially conservative and leans midly right on fiscal issues.

Look, the guy who goes "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and you can too" is not a left-leaning moderate. Nor is the "this is a christian country for christians" guy. Nor is the "black people just need to change their culture to be less shitty" guy. Nor is the guy who calls doctors who perform abortions "baby-killers." It's possibly to hold one of those opinions in a mix of mostly leftist opinions and be a left-leaning moderate. Like a catholic union member who is anti-abortion but pro welfare, pro government, and pro union. But when you, like O'Reilly, hold almost of those rather starkly conservative opinions, and the most leftist thing you've ever said is "well, I don't feel all that strongly about gay marriage"you are not a moderate and sure as fuck not a left-leaning one.

None of those are conservative opinions, they are facts. It's amazing we've come to the point where the left is so unhinged that simply stating reality is an "opinion". "What a nutjob, he thinks gravity is what keeps people and things stuck to the Earth! Clearly a conservative whacko!"

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Snooder said:

None of those are conservative opinions, they are facts. It's amazing we've come to the point where the left is so unhinged that simply stating reality is an "opinion". "What a nutjob, he thinks gravity is what keeps people and things stuck to the Earth! Clearly a conservative whacko!"

You can't explain that!

• @morbiuswilters said:

Hmm.. every anti-vaxer I've ever met was lefty.
    For some reason I've always associated anti-vax with right-wing religious nut cases. I agree with right-wing religious nut cases on a fair number of issues, but being anti-vax is just, well, nuts.@morbiuswilters said:
    Same with the anti-GMO, anti-gluten, anti-soy, anti-dairy, etc.--those are all left-wing causes.
    I'm not particularly thrilled at the idea of GMOs in the food I eat, and I have some sympathy for lactose intolerance – humans are unusual in that we are one of the few species of mammals that are not entirely lactose intolerant as adults, so it is understandable that some individuals are. However, for the other stuff, if your body cannot digest foods that have been staples since the dawn of humanity, please do not contribute your defective genes to future generations.