Questionable advice

• Soooo, my company bought some Ranorex license, and we would like to use it for testing our mobile website. As we all know, mobile rendering engines have their kinks (also esp. if it comes to performance), which means we would like to get device automation on both iOS and Android. Turns out they don't support Android browser automation. And this is (part of) the answer we got from them when asking whats the status ... I think someone didnt quite get the problem.

If you want to test a website you can for example use the User Agent Switcher in Firefox instead of testing it on a real device.
    Uh, jeah, what are we, like 1990 that we do browser sniffing? We want to test if the rendering engine can cope, not if a (non-existent) browser-sniffing 'if' works (also thats what unit-tests are for).

• This makes a lot of sense. Also, Android users could simply spoof their User-Agent string to pretend they are iOS. This way the website will work as expected.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@FrankyBoy said:

We want to test if the rendering engine can cope
    You are aware that the Android SDK comes with an emulator which would allow you to do this...?

• @PJH said:

You are aware that the Android SDK comes with an emulator which would allow you to do this...?
    yes, i am aware, but that does not change the fact that you somehow have to get ranorex running on / working with that thing.

PS: personally I am all for using selenium because that acutally works, but overthrowing a decision is not so easy ;)

• @martijntje said:

This makes a lot of sense. Also, Android users could simply spoof their User-Agent string to pretend they are iOS. This way the website will work as expected.

I hate when I am on a website, and on my Android phone, and the website is a direct copy of iOS5 GUI. Or worse yet, the apps that are simply browser wrappers that do the same.

• FoxDev

@DrakeSmith said:

@martijntje said:
    This makes a lot of sense. Also, Android users could simply spoof their User-Agent string to pretend they are iOS. This way the website will work as expected.

I hate when I am on a website, and on my Android phone, and the website is a direct copy of iOS5 GUI. Or worse yet, the apps that are simply browser wrappers that do the same.

But iOS is the One True GUI! </bullshit>

•  @RaceProUK said:

@DrakeSmith said:

@martijntje said:

But iOS is the One True GUI!

One GUI to rule them all, One GUI to find them,
    One
    GUI to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    In the Land of Cupertino, where the Shadows lie.

• @DrakeSmith said:

I hate it when I visit a website on my Android phone and the website says "Hey, don't use our website, we have an app!".

Kinda like the Rightmove app, which delivers worse quality pictures than the website.

• @Mole said:

Hey, don't use our website, we have an app!".

Then you say "No thanks" and it redirects you to the home page instead of the deep link you were on via Google. Even though you could see the content was loaded behind the pop-up box...

• @Zemm said:

@Mole said:
    Hey, don't use our website, we have an app!".

Then you say "No thanks" and it redirects you to the home page instead of the deep link you were on via Google. Even though you could see the content was loaded behind the pop-up box...

And the home page spawns another popup that asks you to try their app.

• @FrankyBoy said:

Uh, jeah, what are we, like 1990 that we do browser sniffing?

I don't think browser sniffing was invented by 1990; since the number of browsers available at the time was less than 1.

• @Qwerty said:

I don't think browser sniffing was invented by 1990; since the number of browsers available at the time was less than 1.
    ah, you got me, english is not my native language and I wanted to say "the late 90s" :P

• @FrankyBoy said:

@Qwerty said:
    ah, you got me, english is not my native language and I wanted to say "the late 90s" :P

It was the mid 90s so you could send the new fangled images and tables to Netscape 2 while keeping the simpler layout for Mosaic.

• my country (except some universities and a handful of uber-geeks) didn't even have internet in the mid-90s ;)
    Iirc my parents got our first dial-up in 1997 or so with the awesome speed of 56k at horrendous costs per minute and of course the modem got fucked up if someone called in so you had to reset the connection. I do no miss those times.

• @FrankyBoy said:

Iirc my parents got our first dial-up in 1997 or so with the awesome speed of 56k at horrendous costs per minute and of course the modem got fucked up if someone called in so you had to reset the connection.

I got my first commercial dialup account in 1998 which was the first "unlimited hours" account available in my city. Something like $80 per 3 months which was quite cheap, compared to the $1-3 per hour others had. There was a code to turn off call waiting so incoming callers would get a busy signal instead of interrupting my connection :P Initially I only had a 33k modem, eventually got a 56k only to find out my phone line was crap and didn't support v90 properly. 5km of copper can do that. I moved into town to get ADSL!

•  DWANGO