Potions, ingredients, and DO NOT DELETE

• @mikeTheLiar said:

Can we just agree that whatever input device that you happen to prefer is the best device for you to use? Fucking Christ. I typically use a controller, but for some games I absolutely prefer a keyboard/mouse. Just imagine trying to play StarCraft with a controller (despite the fact that they tried it with StarCraft 64. I never played it but I imagine it was a shitshow).

I can agree with this. After all, mikeTheLiar knows much, and tells some. mikeTheLiar knows many things others do not.

• @CodeNinja said:

@mikeTheLiar said:
    Can we just agree that whatever input device that you happen to prefer is the best device for you to use? Fucking Christ. I typically use a controller, but for some games I absolutely prefer a keyboard/mouse. Just imagine trying to play StarCraft with a controller (despite the fact that they tried it with StarCraft 64. I never played it but I imagine it was a shitshow).

I can agree with this. After all, mikeTheLiar knows much, and tells some. mikeTheLiar knows many things others do not.

Werebears? Where? Bears?

There. Bear. There. Castle.

• @joe.edwards said:

@mikeTheLiar said:
    I played it. Splitscreen. It was a shitshow.

Conclusion: you hate yourself.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

No, there is an objectively best input device: The controller that shipped with the original Steel Battalion. Now, it doesn't work well (or at all) for a lot of games. That's the games' fault. If Skyrim was a better game it would put a coolant hatch on your character just so that you can operate it with your dedicated coolant hatch button.

• Considered Harmful

@mikeTheLiar said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:

Split-screen StarCraft? Shirley, you can't be serious. Ahahaha.

Oh, wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Who plays Starcraft single player? It's not like N64 had a modem.

• @joe.edwards said:

@mikeTheLiar said:
    @joe.edwards said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:

Split-screen StarCraft? Shirley, you can't be serious. Ahahaha.

Oh, wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Who plays Starcraft single player? It's not like N64 had a modem.

I did. Our internet connection at the time couldn't handle Batttle.net. We started with 56.6, but the quality of our phone line was shit and actually ended up dropping down to a 14.4.

Look, when I say I grew up poor, I mean it. The first computer we had in my mom's house was used and ran Windows 3.1 (we didn't even having internet for that computer. Hell, we barely had electricity). This was roughly 1995. Incidentally, that was right around the same time as when we got indoor plumbing.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@mikeTheLiar said:

The first computer we had in my mom's house was used and ran Windows 3.1 (we didn't even having internet for that computer. Hell, we barely had electricity). This was roughly 1995.
    That sounds entirely possible. Win95 didn't come out until relatively late that year IIRC (there was a standing joke at the time that it would slip into '96) and while a lot of computers used Win 3.11 (which I think had the early networking stack), many still had Win 3.1 (and used third-party network stacks). Win 3.1 was rather crash-prone, but still managed to be better than 3.0, and that in turn beat Win 2 on almost all fronts except speed (all that graphical bloat had quite an impact).

I never used the first version of Windows. By all reports, this is not a loss I need to feel keenly!@mikeTheLiar said:

Our internet connection at the time couldn't handle Batttle.net. We started with 56.6, but the quality of our phone line was shit and actually ended up dropping down to a 14.4.
    My first modem was a 14k4 and it sure beat the serial line I used before that. The only thing good about that serial line was that it was possible for me to maintain with only minimal tools. (The modem was way better; I could run X11 sessions over it, provided I was a bit patient.)

• @dkf said:

That sounds entirely possible. Win95 didn't come out until relatively late that year IIRC (there was a standing joke at the time that it would slip into '96) and while a lot of computers used Win 3.11 (which I think had the early networking stack), many still had Win 3.1 (and used third-party network stacks). Win 3.1 was rather crash-prone, but still managed to be better than 3.0, and that in turn beat Win 2 on almost all fronts except speed (all that graphical bloat had quite an impact).
    Windows 3.11 did not come with TCP/IP support, so most people used Trumpet WinSock for Internet connectivity. Even when Microsoft released TCP/IP with some IE version (don't know which one initially, but it was there in IE5 for 3.1), IIRC it did not have a dialer, so you still needed Trumpet if you wanted to go online with a modem.

• Windows 95 was definitely out, because my dad had it in his office. (All dates should be taken with a grain of salt, I was 8-9 so my memory isn't rock solid). What I remember happening was we got the computer with 95 on it, but had to downgrade pretty quickly because the performance was so bad. I think what probably happened was someone tried to upgrade to computer to 95, found out that it couldn't handle it, and offloaded it on my unsuspecting mother. Who was probably motivated largely by embarrassment, since I was one of the few kids, if not the only kid, in my class who didn't have a computer.

• Wait...wait, wait,wait. Shit. I'm going to look like a contradictory asshole here, but the more I think about this...shit. I fucked up. We didn't get a computer until I was in at least 6th grade. So this was more like 98-99.

Sorry, I'm an asshole. I've blocked out most of my childhood.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ender said:

Windows 3.11 did not come with TCP/IP support, so most people used Trumpet WinSock for Internet connectivity.
    I vaguely remember Trumpet WinSock. It coped with some types of connections better than the Microsoft stack, even on Win95. (My ISP at the time definitely preferred their users to use Trumpet when in Windows.) At the time it was much easier to go online with Linux, provided you were using supported hardware.

I miss some things of that time, especially some of the online communities, but the networking itself is soooooo much better now.

Leaves swirl on the pool
    Memories alike in mind
    Springtime of my youth.

• @dkf said:

I vaguely remember Trumpet WinSock. It coped with some types of connections better than the Microsoft stack, even on Win95.
    I never personally used Trumpet on my (father's) computer, since by the time I bought a modem in early '96, it already had Windows 95, which worked just fine with my ISP, but I've seen it at friends with Windows 3.1. (actually, I did use Trumpet when I installed Windows 3.1 in DOSBox a few years ago, but I don't think that counts).