Changes at TDWTF: Goodbye Community Server

• @Nagesh said:

Makes logical sense since operating system user names cannot have spaces in their usernames.

Which operating systems? Shitty open source ones, maybe. I got a space in my Windows username right now.

• @Ben L. said:

@mott555 said:

I'm late to this conversation, but can I offer a suggestion?

XenForo, with some kind of portal (or perhaps custom) plugin for the front page stories. XenForo is a non-crappy version of vBulletin. Actually, it was made by the same developers as vBulletin before it became pants-on-head retarded.

Losing our signature guys and tag abuse is quite sad.

1. PHP
    2. MySQL

Need I continue?

So go to ruby on rails?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Nagesh said:

So go to ruby on rails?
    Please don't. We use RoR quite a bit at work, and it significant areas of major suckage.

•  I will now, as you guys say, "Call your bluff".

@blakeyrat said:

@Nagesh said:
    Makes logical sense since operating system user names cannot have spaces in their usernames.

Which operating systems? Shitty open source ones, maybe. I got a space in my Windows username right now.

• @dkf said:

@Nagesh said:
    So go to ruby on rails?
    Please don't. We use RoR quite a bit at work, and it significant areas of major suckage.

⇒ Discourse

• @dhromed said:

@JohnRasch said:

any users whose combined comment count + forum post count >= 100 (there are 584 of these users total)

Hold up.

Are there any relatively new forum users currently actively posting but with less than 100 posts? I believe those should migrate as well, unless none of them speak up and it's fine by them to create new accounts.

It's new blood and all. Shouldn't punish that.

In fact it would exclude e4tmyl33t, three posts up.

It would also exclude me. Apparently Alex has no desire to port over those of us who just haven't been around very long. Nice way to keep the new people here.

• @Alex Papadimoulis said:

And here's the CS tableset for users.... i think...

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[aspnet_Users] ...

So you're telling us that the CS user structures are based on the ASP.NET membership structure?

• ♿ (Parody)

@abarker said:

@dhromed said:

@JohnRasch said:

any users whose combined comment count + forum post count >= 100 (there are 584 of these users total)

Hold up.

Are there any relatively new forum users currently actively posting but with less than 100 posts? I believe those should migrate as well, unless none of them speak up and it's fine by them to create new accounts.

It's new blood and all. Shouldn't punish that.

In fact it would exclude e4tmyl33t, three posts up.

It would also exclude me. Apparently Alex has no desire to port over those of us who just haven't been around very long. Nice way to keep the new people here.

Well we could import everyone, but seeing how poorly the import worked (it didn't send the welcome PMs, the forgot passwords emails were spammed/delayed, etc), all you missed was dissapointment.

The only reason I wanted to import in the first place was to "protect" wellknown usernames from being snipped by someone being obnoxious.

• ♿ (Parody)

@abarker said:

So you're telling us that the CS user structures are based on the ASP.NET membership structure?

Sort of? Maybe? It's a pre-beta version of the membership stuff from 2006 I guess.

@Alex Papadimoulis said:

The only reason I wanted to import in the first place was to "protect" wellknown usernames from being snipped by someone being obnoxious.
    ... unless their username was longer than 15 characters...

• @joe.edwards said:

however good or bad Discourse might be, it can't be worse than Community Server.
    O, ye of little faith.

• Considered Harmful

@flabdablet said:

@joe.edwards said:
    however good or bad Discourse might be, it can't be worse than Community Server.
    O, ye of little faith.

Yes, I've been eating those words.

@flabdablet said:

@joe.edwards said:
    O, ye of little faith.
    Rejoice! Let Glad Tidings Sound Forth! There's whole new ways to break things! (All the problems I've seen so far have been due to content not staying within its CSS box.)