IE10

• @Zecc said:

KDE activities. Disclaimer: I haven't used them much, but they sure sound like a good idea.

Don't know what the are.

@Zecc said:

Or independently draggable taskbar buttons. I don't know about Win8, but in Win7 they still group by application, and I hate it.

Technically isn't that a Windows UI feature that Linux copied and then Microsoft abandoned? Also, I thought you could disable the taskbar grouping in Windows.. (I personally don't like it, but you can get used to it pretty quickly..)

@Zecc said:

Or virtual desktops.

Always seem like a neat idea, but I never, ever use them. They just don't fit into my flow.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@_gaffer said:

Yeah, no such thing as a diet. Thermodynamics is absolutely not a thing. You one of those fat fucks who loves having an excuse, no matter how nonsensical, to blame for your failures, or are you just stone cold fucking stupid?

Awesome, thanks for this post! It's an accurate litmus test to determine when someone hasn't bothered to read the thread at all. It's like-- I dunno-- the perfect anti-shibboleth.

• @flabdablet said:

I'm enjoying my totally overzealous ad-blocker even more now that I know how much the fact that it works so well annoys people who think like Morbs and Blakey.

I'm coming down to steal some shit from your house.. where do you live again? Australia? Fuck, there's nothing worth stealing in Australia.

Well, I hope another filthy Australian steals from you. Maybe takes your dingo or something.

But if I ever find out what kind of software you develop for a living (assuming you actually develop software and don't just install Office on people's desktops..) I'm pirating that shit and distributing it to as many people as will accept it. I'll take out ads in the paper just to let people know they can get it for free.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@_gaffer said:

Yeah, no such thing as a diet. Thermodynamics is absolutely not a thing. You one of those fat fucks who loves having an excuse, no matter how nonsensical, to blame for your failures, or are you just stone cold fucking stupid?

Awesome, thanks for this post! It's an accurate litmus test to determine when someone hasn't bothered to read the thread at all. It's like-- I dunno-- the perfect anti-shibboleth.

Oh hey, look at that. "Calories in/calories out" is the solution, which IS A FUCKING DIET, dickhead.

Sorry I didn't read enough of your muddled nonsense the first time to realise that your incompetence is in language rather than science.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@flabdablet said:
    I'm enjoying my totally overzealous ad-blocker even more now that I know how much the fact that it works so well annoys people who think like Morbs and Blakey.

I'm coming down to steal some shit from your house.. where do you live again? Australia? Fuck, there's nothing worth stealing in Australia.

We've got about a quarter of the world's uranium. Could make a dollar or two with that.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Technically isn't that a Windows UI feature that Linux copied and then Microsoft abandoned? Also, I thought you could disable the taskbar grouping in Windows.. (I personally don't like it, but you can get used to it pretty quickly..)

It will always group by application, whether it's stacking or connecting. Fortunately there's 7+ Taskbar Tweaker!

• @morbiuswilters said:

"omg win8 blows. the worst part is when the, uh, gremlins pop out and go through your files and email embarrassing information to that cute girl who works at the Starbucks that you're too shy to ever even make eye contact with.. Lunix desktop 4 lyfe!"

My favorite example is this story, which quickly hit the record-books as the Most Shameful Story Ever On Slashdot which, believe me, is quite an achievement.

• @_gaffer said:

"Calories in/calories out" is the solution

And an oversimplified myth!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@_gaffer said:

@me said:

Oh hey, look at that. "Calories in/calories out" is the solution, which IS A FUCKING DIET, dickhead.

Sorry I didn't read enough of your muddled nonsense the first time to realise that your incompetence is in language rather than science.

{checks the numbers}

Indeed, my initial post is correct. It's always nice to get confirmation of one's theories.

• @_gaffer said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @flabdablet said:

We've got about a quarter of the world's uranium. Could make a dollar or two with that.

Mehhh.. I don't want to have to mine it. Can't you guys just send me a few pre-assembled dirty bombs I can sell on the black market?

• @blakeyrat said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    "omg win8 blows. the worst part is when the, uh, gremlins pop out and go through your files and email embarrassing information to that cute girl who works at the Starbucks that you're too shy to ever even make eye contact with.. Lunix desktop 4 lyfe!"

My favorite example is this story, which quickly hit the record-books as the Most Shameful Story Ever On Slashdot which, believe me, is quite an achievement.

The first comment calls for a DRM ban in the Constitution.

You know, TDWTF, sometimes I think you guys are retarded, but then I'm reminded of what true retardedness is.

• @dhromed said:

@_gaffer said:

"Calories in/calories out" is the solution

And an oversimplified myth!

Huh? What the fuck? If you reduce caloric intake and increase your use of calories by exercising until you are running a net deficit of calories, you will lose weight. It's not an oversimplification, that's how your body works. And that's really the only way you will lose weight, short of liposuction.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

@morbiuswilters said:

In all fairness, the comments did quickly and accurately [url="http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1130241&cid=26883345"]rip apart the bullshit[/url] that airquote "story" closeairquote contained.

@Someone on Slashdot said:

EVERYTHING. Absolutely EVERYTHING in this article is incorrect.

There's even a very [url="http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1130241&cid=26888831"]insightful post[/url] that goes into the details of why it's wrong.

@OH SHIT FULL CIRCLE! said:

Here's the most likely possibility:

- The 13-year-old retard hacker who modified the<nobr> <wbr></nobr>.DLL to get rid of the nag screen is a shitty programmer, and his modified<nobr> <wbr></nobr>.DLL doesn't fucking work.

- The idiot who submitted this article doesn't know jack about Windows or computers in general

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

And that's really the only way you will lose weight, short of liposuction.

Or amputation.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@OH SHIT FULL CIRCLE! said:
    Here's the most likely possibility:

- The 13-year-old retard hacker who modified the .DLL to get rid of the nag screen is a shitty programmer, and his modified .DLL doesn't fucking work.

- The idiot who submitted this article doesn't know jack about Windows or computers in general

The guy who posted that was a dick.

Also: how did you manage to fuck up those P tags so bad Lorne? Jesus man.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

And that's really the only way you will lose a lot of weight, short of liposuction.

Or amputation.

Or in my case, castration.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

And that's really the only way you will lose a lot of weight, short of liposuction.

Or amputation.

A couple of back-to-back episodes of food-poisoning, followed by several months of being scared to death to put anything in my mouth for fear of it starting back up again, was most effective for me.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

Also: how did you manage to fuck up those P tags so bad Lorne? Jesus man.

That's all on CS. I'm just replying to a message.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@da Doctah said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    A couple of back-to-back episodes of food-poisoning, followed by several months of being scared to death to put anything in my mouth for fear of it starting back up again, was most effective for me.

................... what?

• I was curious about this, so I tried it out on IE10 and there was pretty decent behaviour.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_select

Works pretty much the same in all 3 major browsers. IE10 auto selects the last known choice, on the assumption that you already navigated the list.

People always moan if there is any change in UI even if it is beneficial in the long run.

• @blakeyrat said:

Sorry but you're overshadowed by the 60,000,000 people who are just bitching "new things scare me".

It's not that people fear change - those are morons who would keep beating mammoths with rocks if they could find any mammoths. It's that change is only good when it's for the better, not for the "more confusing at first and essentially bringing nothing new". Microsoft jumped on the whole tablet bandwagon (which is ironic, considering that when they were making their own tablets, nobody gave a fuck about them), and created a system which is - well - usable, actually pretty fine, but with almost no new desktop-oriented features aside from the prettier copy dialog.

Maybe, someday, I'll move to Windows 8. I tried, but my laptop manufacturer still thinks it's Vista time, so I've enjoyed the fresh Metro experience in glorious 1024x768. But if someday my new PC comes shipped with Windows 8, or some app that I'll be using will require it, I won't mind. I can adapt.

But there's simply no point in this change for me, as for now. The problem with Windows 8 is that it changes things that didn't need to be changed in the first place. And that MS doesn't realize that any user with half a brain can differentiate his desktop from his tablet, and will probably be using them for completely different tasks. There's no need for this unification, and there's no need for Windows 8.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@lucas said:

Works pretty much the same in all 3 major browsers. IE10 auto selects the last known choice, on the assumption that you already navigated the list.

Why make an assumption about the behaviour of a decades old UI widget, when its expected behaviour is, what's the word-- expected?

Every browser remembers your selection. But only IE10 moves the actual position of the entire drown "down" list.

Some of the UI changes are innocuous at best. The shading on some controls list lighter or whiter, and it blends in a bit nicer with the rest of the webpage. No problem there. They made the default table borders a bit thicker. No real problem, but you can bet they generated a few hundred thousand man-hours of fixes when every pixel-perfect manager flips their shit that things "don't look right anymore".

@lucas said:

People always moan if there is any change in UI even if it is beneficial in the long run.

Changing the look and feel of a widget is one thing. Changing the behaviour is a whole other barrel of retarded fish than no one wanted and was instead dumped right in their normal jogging path because, hey, now they can jump over it and get a better workout.

• @Lorne Kates said:

whole other barrel of retarded fish

How are they to hunt?

@Lorne Kates said:

get a better workout.

There's no such thing as exercise.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Zecc said:
    KDE activities. Disclaimer: I haven't used them much, but they sure sound like a good idea.
    Don't know what the are.
    Like I said, I've haven't really used them, and I regret mentioning them now. The way I see them, they're a bit like virtual desktops where you get to define for each of them what shortcuts, folders and widgets you see by default. But I admit I may be completely wrong about themt and that, even if I'm right, they may be of limited use.

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Zecc said:
    Or independently draggable taskbar buttons. I don't know about Win8, but in Win7 they still group by application, and I hate it.
    Like dhromed already mentioned, grouping is not the same as stacking. I'm okay with stacking when the number of taskbar buttons gets large, but I hate that same-application buttons always group, explorer and browser windows in particular. Would it be so hard to let the user decide what constitutes a logical group? Windows lets me freely move arbritary files between folders; all I'm asking is it'll let me do the same with taskbar buttons among groups.

IMO Windows 7's desktop environment is hands down the best environment. This is the single UI feature I think it's missing. Well, column view in Windoes Explorer would be nice too. (Oooh, and can I have Fences'-like grouping of desktop icons too? [And setting/unsetting windows to "always on top" {and ...}])

@morbiuswilters said:

@Zecc said:
    Or virtual desktops.
    Always seem like a neat idea, but I never, ever use them. They just don't fit into my flow.
    I use them frequently, mostly to separate work from personal/distraction windows when I really need to focus on work, or when space starts getting tight. Otherwise, I just move personal stuff to the left and work stuff to the right.

@morbiuswilters said:
    If you reduce caloric intake and increase your use of calories by exercising until you are running a net deficit of calories, you will lose weight. It's not an oversimplification, that's how your body works. And that's really the only way you will lose weight, short of liposuction.
    Don't forget dehydration. And free-falling.

• @Zecc said:

Don't forget dehydration. And free-falling.

And a one-way trip to the Moon.

• @Zecc said:

The way I see them, they're a bit like virtual desktops where you get to define for each of them what shortcuts, folders and widgets you see by default.

From what I've seen of them, they're just additional space to put windows in (No customisation).
    I'm pretty sure the only reason they still exist is so people can show their friends that stupid cube effect.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

@Lorne Kates said:
    whole other barrel of retarded fish

How are they to hunt?

Surprisingly difficult.

@morbiuswilters said:

@Lorne Kates said:
    get a better workout.

There's no such thing as exercise.

If you eat a treadmill, you get fat.

• @Lorne Kates said:

Treadmills are surprisingly low in calories, and very filling. Just remember to do your running before eating.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@blakeyrat said:
    The Slashdot people have a big problem with bitching about products they've obviously never used.

"omg win8 blows. the worst part is when the, uh, gremlins pop out and go through your files and email embarrassing information to that cute girl who works at the Starbucks that you're too shy to ever even make eye contact with.. Lunix desktop Chromebook 4 lyfe!"

BLTFY

• @Lorne Kates said:

What if the treadmill is made of anti-matter?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

@Lorne Kates said:

What if the treadmill is made of anti-matter?

Then it would completely revolutionize our entire society. At least it would, except the product announcement would be filled with a bunch of Slashgeeks making Scotty jokes about how the treadmill "Kinna go any fasta, Keptin!". The people who make the antimill will be so disgusted with the state of humanity that they'll instead just vibrate off into a higher plane of existence, and carpet bomb the solar system with anti-matter treadmills accelerated to relativistic speeds.

I think at some point Will Smith tries to upload a virus to stop them, but fails and suffers the ultimate horrific fate: an eternal, never ending unlife wandering the charred remains of the planet while the empty shell that once was his son stares at things.

• @Lorne Kates said:

I think at some point Will Smith tries to upload a virus to stop them, but fails and suffers the ultimate horrific fate: an eternal, never ending unlife wandering the charred remains of the planet while the empty shell that once was his son stares at things.

No, no, no! All wrong. It's Jeff Goldblum who uploads the virus, while Will Smith cracks wise with his raised-on-the-streets-but-not-actually-because-then-white-people-would-be-scared-of-him attitude.