Use Entity Framework so we can do load testing

• I might be missing something big about EF, but as far as I know this request makes no sense.

We have some .Net WPF software that's meant to run on Windows machines; a client has request that we make a web application that does the same thing. We'd create the API, they'd create the HTML/CSS/JS monstrosity that would replace our XAML.

They then asked that we convert the already-existing code to use Entity Framework so they can load test our API. WTF?

(For those of you who don't know, entity framework is just an OR/M and has absolutely nothing to do with load testing)

• You're right, this is completely stupid. Aren't you pretty much just going to create a web service out of your current API? Or, maybe they just don't know the difference between EF and (for instance) WCF, in which case, $Deity help you.

There can be some testing-related benefits to using something like EF, but not when you just need to load-test a web service.

I'm also (pleasantly) surprised that the client didn't just want Silverlight, since you already have WPF.

• FoxDev

@configurator said:

They then asked that we convert the already-existing code to use Entity Framework so they can load test our API. WTF?

Yep, they have no idea what Entity Framework is. Makes me wonder if they're using NUnit for DB access...

• @RaceProUK said:

they're using NUnit for DB access

I hope so, it's a lot faster and easier to use than Confluence.

•  Haven't you seen the godawful SQL code that EF generates? I'd say using it for load testing is exactly what it's good for.

• @RaceProUK said:

@configurator said:

Yep, they have no idea what Entity Framework is. Makes me wonder if they're using NUnit for DB access...

How are they manage to do "Load test" with NUnit?