Remember when Google said Chrome would be a standard web browser and not incorporate features that only benefit Google? Yeah they were lying.

• Chrome has for a few versions had "apps". Chrome is a web browser. Installing an app into a web browser does not make sense.

One of those apps is Gmail. Gmail is a website. Installing a website as a application does not make sense.

So yesterday I got my work computer upgraded with an SSD drive. Part of this process involved installing Chrome, which is becoming an increasingly annoying process. First you get nagged over and over and over again to "sign in" to Chrome. (Chrome is a web browser. "Signing into" a web browser does not make sense.) Of course I'd gladly do this if Google pulled their heads out of their ass and finally admitted that, hey, maybe a single person has more than one identity! Maybe Blakeyrat-at-work is a different person than Blakeyrat-at-home! But no.

Anyway, I sign on to Gmail and start getting notifications. That can't be right; the browser's set to ask the user before showing notifications right? So I dig into the options. And dig. And dig. And Google "where the fuck is the notification option set in Chrome fuck fuck fuck?" and dig. And finally find it in the "Content Settings..." dialog. And it is indeed set to ask first, but it didn't ask me for Gmail? Weird.

I turn it to "Off" instead. Wait a few minutes and then... WHAT THE HELL another Gmail notification? It's set to Off you dumbshit fucking browser from shitland hell fuck! So I dive into the menu again, it's still set to Off. This time I decide to check the "Exceptions" list... oh look! Google puts all their own services in the Exceptions and there's no way to remove them. Other people have been reporting the same problem since August. Shit.

I guess I'm just shit out of luck, but I'm not going to let this stand without a fight, so I decide to hit Chrome's bug tracker, and I end up seeing this thread. Wait, what? So when a website is installed as an application (something that I remind you does not make sense) it permanently gets added to the exceptions list for notifications? Even worse, Chrome's now shipping with a bunch of these "apps" installed by default? And even even worse, the UI does not make it even slightly clear that this is what's happening-- from looking at the UI you just assume this is a Microsoft-esque software upsell. And as creis@chromium.org in the thread says, this makes it literally impossible to ever stop notifications from a website/app, even if you're getting a presentation or screen sharing, without uninstalling the app. Because it makes their "manifest" (whatever the holy fuck that is) more complicated. Poor babies.

Who came up with this design? You suck at UIs. You are fucking awful. Remove yourself immediately from software development and go flip pancakes or something else you actually might not suck ass at.

But hey it turns out going to the "apps" screen, and removing the Gmail app, fixes the problem. Now its notifications are quashed as it should be.

Google, you're really starting to suck ass.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

At least they didn't install a service that posted titles so long it made CS wrap.  But I kid.

I've heard Chromium is Chrome without the Google. Maybe that's an option? Or can you block their "services" via hosts? I take it "don't use Chrome at all" isn't an option, since, y'know-- cross browser compatability testing-- but seriously, fuck them with that.

• While I know this doesn't make things any better... I've found out how to fix your problem (ish).

If you right click on the apps on the apps screen, some of them have a "Disable Notifications" that you can check off.

Now... for Gmail... it doesn't have this option. But oddly, if you choose the options item, and it goes to your Gmail settings, there actually is a notification section where you can turn it off.

Is this a good way to do things? I don't think so.

Is it a user discoverable way to implement the options? Not really...

Can it shut the bloody thing up? It would seem so.

• @blakeyrat said:

Of course I'd gladly do this if Google pulled their heads out of their ass and finally admitted that, hey, maybe a single person has more than one identity! Maybe Blakeyrat-at-work is a different person than Blakeyrat-at-home

Not that you're asking for a solution, so I'll probably get a blakeyrant for pointing this out, but Chrome has had support for multiple identities for quite some time now. Settings -> Users -> Add New User... - you can even set a cute icon to appear next to your tabs to remind you which identity you're using. Woo.

It might not apply to your situation but hey, I don't know. Maybe it'll help.

@blakeyrat said:

Installing a website as a application does not make sense.

Again, I can feel an incoming blakeyrant, but... installing websites as apps is quickly becoming the hip/cool/buzzwordy thing to do now. Especially since that grants your website extra permissions like caching your entire web application on the users hard disk so it doesn't have to hit the internet and so it's accessible offline, or additional/unlimited LocalStorage space, or being able to display crappy notifications whenever the hell you feel like, or run tasks in the background when the computer starts, or the ability to run Native Client code.

• @lukegb said:

installing websites as apps is quickly becoming the hip/cool/buzzwordy thing to do now. Especially since that grants your website extra permissions like caching your entire web application on the users hard disk so it doesn't have to hit the internet and so it's accessible offline
    But...! The whole point of me using Gmail instead of a real application is so I can read my mail without leaving left-overs on other computers!

• Still pretty much on track then.

• @lukegb said:

Especially since that grants your website extra permissions like caching your entire web application on the users hard disk so it doesn't have to hit the internet and so it's accessible offline, or additional/unlimited LocalStorage space, or being able to display crappy notifications whenever the hell you feel like, or run tasks in the background when the computer starts, or the ability to run Native Client code.

So far the only thing using Gmail as an "app" does, as far as I can tell, is prevent me from turning off notifications.

• This reminds me of linkedin's e-mails. I have yet to figure out how to disable all e-mail notifications from linkedin. So I now report them as spam.

• @blakeyrat said:

So far the only thing using Gmail as an "app" does, as far as I can tell, is prevent me from turning off notifications.

In this case, I think it's just a way for Google to push Gmail onto you so you have a shortcut to it on your new tab screen by default - so yes, it's pointless. They didn't even add offline capabilities, that's in a [url=https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gmail-offline/ejidjjhkpiempkbhmpbfngldlkglhimk]separate app[/url].

• Oh wait there's a second effect.

Now that Gmail is an "app" if you access it as a normal website (which is... what it is) it refuses to save your username/password unless you install the "app". Awesome.

• @blakeyrat said:

Oh wait there's a second effect.

Now that Gmail is an "app" if you access it as a normal website (which is... what it is) it refuses to save your username/password unless you install the "app". Awesome.

Huh? I can't reproduce that here. I uninstalled Gmail as an app ages ago, but it always remembers my credentials. Weird.

• Maybe something else is going on. Gmail isn't listed on the "never save credentials" list in the settings, but Chrome never even asked me if I wanted to. Instead it gave me the "this site has an application do you want to install it?" thing. Maybe I'm assuming a connection where none exists.

But then the question remains, why can't I have Gmail save my username/password?

EDIT: while I'm griping, Google's arbitrary mixing of what goes on the server and what goes on the client is confusing as shit. For example, right now Gmail has a little question, "do you want to use Gmail to open email links?" Well on this computer, no I don't. On my home computer, yes I do. But there's no indication whether that applies to the Gmail site or to the browser it's currently being viewed on. I mean, a year ago I'd say: "well browser, duh!" but now I'm no longer sure.

• @blakeyrat said:

Installing an app into a web browser does not make sense.

It makes more sense once you get used to the idea that the browser itself can be viewed as nothing more than a shell for a cross-platform application framework known as W3C DOM.

I believe there's a bug tracker entry marked RESOLVED WONTFIX for the only reasonable reaction to that concept.

• Log in to a browser? Google wants you to log in to EVERYTHING so that they can track you EVERYWHERE. Privacy? Sure we got privacy. We see everything, and tell no one, except anyone who pays us money, and good old Uncle Sam.

It's spyware like this that has taken me into Google withdrawl. I'm use DuckDuckGo. I'm looking for a non-US e-mail address. But I find no substitute for Youtube. Or Android.

I have a gmail e-mail address, but I only give it out knowing that it will die as soon as possible.

http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/259252/how-i-divorced-google

• I completely agree with blakeyrat: it's ridiculous and meant to suck us into another private platform. Is it free? Then you are not the customer, but the product. And Chrome is your food.

I have to add that I'm surprised they're not paying more attention of the looks and feel of their browser, and of the bugs, with such evil plans for world domination. I've had a consistent bug with websockets since I started using them, but only in Chrome. Since version 13 or so. The debugger has it share of problems, and that the renderer doesn't have more problems is because it is a f*ing copy of WebKit. I guess they're too busy playing PacMan on original arcade machines.

• @blakeyrat said:

If you left out the "starting to" your entire post would bee 100% spot on.

• Google said that? Didn't HTML5 just start out standardizing Google Gears? It's every other HTML5 feature just a standardization of what Google put in Webkit?

Anyways, I've never had those problems. Also,

@blakeyrat said:

Of course I'd gladly do this if Google pulled their heads out of their ass and finally admitted that, hey, maybe a single person has more than one identity! Maybe Blakeyrat-at-work is a different person than Blakeyrat-at-home! But no.

Blakeyrat-at-work should have a different Google account then Blakeyrat-at-home. Google lets you do that you know. My gmail (and several other google products) even has a dropdown box that lets me choose between various accounts:

[google account choosing dropdown]

• @MiffTheFox said:

It's every other HTML5 feature just a standardization of what Google put in Webkit?
    One of the more prominent new features, the canvas, was introduced by Apple, four years before Chrome.

• Blakey, try the Iron browser. It's basically Chrome, but without all the 'tell Google every time I scratch my ass' bullshit. Those cunning German fellows remove all that crud at source code level. Of course, you can still add crappy Google 'apps' to it if you like.

It's available here: http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php, and there's a portable version as well.

Definitely my favourite browser: I'm using it right now to type this.

• BINNED

What are "notifications" and why would I want them? And all this other shit? Ah, this thread makes my head spin...

I considered trying Chrome even back when they announced it, if just for the "each tab is a seperate process" feature. But all this crazy ass shit has me staying with firefox. At least it has the plugincontainer process now, slow progress.

Also, I think this thread is at least half an answer to the other thread's question why some people still prefer an email client over the damned web interface.

•  Unfortunately today we have many evil empires, in the nineties it was just Microsoft, but today Facebook, Google, Apple and many others all seem to be playing the same game. As I can't avoid using at least some of their services and software, I try to spread the love around and use different companies for the different kinds of tasks I have.

The only thing I use Google for is searching the web, they're really good at that. Gmail and all the other stuff they have, there are equally good alternatives, although sometimes not free.

Things are getting more complex nowadays, as they keep buying stuff, like Google bought YouTube and MS bought Skype. So what used to be separate entities are now related.

• @Cad Delworth said:

try the Iron browser. It's basically Chrome, but without all the 'tell Google every time I scratch my ass' bullshit. Those cunning German fellows remove all that crud at source code level. Of course, you can still add crappy Google 'apps' to it if you like.
    Iron is highly over-rated and may not be as claimed.

http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/23/srware-iron-browser-a-real-private-alternative-to-chrome-21/

There's also another article, that I can't find right at this minute, where someone actually did a diff of the Chrome and Iron source code.  The only differences were:(a) Changed all instances of Chrome to Iron  (b) Changed some comments  and (3)  Removed some "privacy related" things from the source code,  but they were all things that could be turned off in the configuration panel.

• dear god how do i format edit: god damn do you guys really type in

every time, anyways sorry for the shitty quoting/ breaking

"f course I'd gladly do this if Google pulled their heads out of their ass and finally admitted that, hey, maybe a single person has more than one identity! Maybe Blakeyrat-at-work is a different person than Blakeyrat-at-home! But no."

You should try the multiple profiles options. Chrome shouldn't ever nag you to log in once you say "not right now" or "skip this" or whatever it is on the log-in page.

It seems your issue is that:

1. You don't want the notifications whitelist

2. You don't want Chrome's default apps.

But this seems simple - chrome://extensions, disable/ uninstall the apps. This solves both issues.

Seems simple to me - all of this can be avoided by removing the apps. If you're now getting logged out of gmail that's a bug, not by design.

I can explain why these apps exist, since you think websites should not be apps. A website is given a specific set of permissions, dictated by CSP/SOP, and browser contexts. Apps allow specific web pages to increase their permissions, so to speak, giving them the ability to manage a specific website through more complex offline-management (among other things). It's why you can't have "offline gmail" or "offline docs" without the apps - it's not because they want you to use the app, it's because the choice is either:

1. Give websites ridiculous privilege

2. Give websites privilege through apps

I agree that these shouldn't be packaged by default. But Chrome is Google's product, so it's hardly surprising. Beyond that, I doubt Chromium comes with these installed. If you want a 'less-googly' Chrome, use Chromium, though you will be missing out on a number of features.

P.S. I got here through referrer info. Iron is shit, thanks for linking information about it above. Someone did do a 'diff' on the files of Iron 4 but the original post is deleted (that's why I don't include this info) and all they found was hardcoded privacy settings, no new code was added.

• @insanitybit said:

dear god how do i format edit: god damn do you guys really type in

Unfortunately the forum's rich text editor doesn't seem to work in Chrome, and the plain text editor isn't too bright; it forces you to format manually, as you noticed, probably because it has to support editing posts that already contain rich text.  (To anyone who might know: I thought TinyMCE was supposed to support Chrome.  Is this issue specific to thedailywtf.com?)

Thanks for explaining that stuff about Chrome apps.

• @CodeSimian said:

Unfortunately the forum's rich text editor doesn't seem to work in Chrome,

I'd consider that a plus. The version of TinyMCE on the forum is laughably old and predates Chrome TinyMCE's Chrome support, if not Chrome itself.

• @MiffTheFox said:

The version of TinyMCE on the forum is laughably old and predates Chrome TinyMCE's Chrome support, if not Chrome itself.

Version of TinyMCE on TDWTF=2.1.1.1; Date of release=2007-05-14.

Date of Chome 1.0 = 2008-12-11.

So yes, Ancient TinyMCE predates Chrome by around 19 months. Ignoring the fact that it doesn't even try and load in Chome, so as usual, TRWTF is ancient CS. (WebResource instead of .js files? bah!)

One of my old clients uses TinyMCE 2.something in their backend, because they depend on a number of plugins that would cost too much to migrate to TinyMCE 3.anything. This is the "IE6" problem with other software.

• ♿ (Parody)

@RogerWilco said:

Unfortunately today we have many evil empires, in the nineties it was just Microsoft, but today Facebook, Google, Apple and many others all seem to be playing the same game.

TPC is still with us. Everyone hates TPC.

• @boomzilla said:

@RogerWilco said:
    Unfortunately today we have many evil empires, in the nineties it was just Microsoft, but today Facebook, Google, Apple and many others all seem to be playing the same game.

TPC is still with us. Everyone hates TPC.

RogerWilco forgot about the other evil empires, probably because they're not IT related.  Let's run through the list now, shall we?  Disney, McDonald's, Wal-Mart....

• @insanitybit said:

dear god how do i format edit: god damn do you guys really type in

"f course I'd gladly do this if Google pulled their heads out of their ass and finally admitted that, hey, maybe a single person has more than one identity! Maybe Blakeyrat-at-work is a different person than Blakeyrat-at-home! But no."

You should try the multiple profiles options. Chrome shouldn't ever nag you to log in once you say "not right now" or "skip this" or whatever it is on the log-in page.

It seems your issue is that:

1. You don't want the notifications whitelist

2. You don't want Chrome's default apps.

But this seems simple - chrome://extensions, disable/ uninstall the apps. This solves both issues.

Seems simple to me - all of this can be avoided by removing the apps. If you're now getting logged out of gmail that's a bug, not by design.

I can explain why these apps exist, since you think websites should not be apps. A website is given a specific set of permissions, dictated by CSP/SOP, and browser contexts. Apps allow specific web pages to increase their permissions, so to speak, giving them the ability to manage a specific website through more complex offline-management (among other things). It's why you can't have "offline gmail" or "offline docs" without the apps - it's not because they want you to use the app, it's because the choice is either:

1. Give websites ridiculous privilege

2. Give websites privilege through apps

I agree that these shouldn't be packaged by default. But Chrome is Google's product, so it's hardly surprising. Beyond that, I doubt Chromium comes with these installed. If you want a 'less-googly' Chrome, use Chromium, though you will be missing out on a number of features.

P.S. I got here through referrer info. Iron is shit, thanks for linking information about it above. Someone did do a 'diff' on the files of Iron 4 but the original post is deleted (that's why I don't include this info) and all they found was hardcoded privacy settings, no new code was added.

There's only one sensible post in this topic, and it's written by someone named insanity. Tennis racket.

• @blakeyrat said:

One of those apps is Gmail. Gmail is a website. Installing a website as a application does not make sense.
    Actually, no, it's a service. Installing an app for a service makes a lot of sense. That they happen to have a web front-end for their service doesn't mean it's not a service.

Now I'm waiting for a decent Windows 8 mail app, since the supplied Micriosoft one, like the iOS mail app, is too stupid to understand that my e-mail address does not end in @gmail.com, even though I use GMail. The Android GMail app does this a lot better.

• @blakeyrat said:

Starting? I've been pissed of with Google since they first got the impression that could do everything, they were okay when it was just search, then mail came along. Although you can do it now you never used to be able to sign into two different mails at once. Then as they started buying up other services and inventing new ones, one day I wanted to try Lattitude and things went crazy.

To this very day I still show up on my own contacts list and I can't be removed, but apparently I never approved myself so I'm always offline, however I can't actually approve myself.

For a while there I used the igoogle homepage and would often find I would get involved in weird combinations where I was signed into some google services but apparently not others. As I say they have improved now but you would think if you were going to provide multiple services you would get single sign on working first. Its like they don't have a plan, they just keep coming up with ideas, some are marketting driven, some are obviously technically driven, some just seem to be done because they can be done with no thought to how useful, if at all, the new feature will be to the company or the users.

Every single one seems to be implemented as a new 'product' under the Google brand and never quite fits in with the rest in the way you would hope.
    I can see they are trying to move towards it by syncing everything on your android phone and across multiple copies of chrome but its also obvious they are just making the best of a bad job.

• @lukegb said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Installing a website as a application does not make sense.
    Again, I can feel an incoming blakeyrant, but... installing websites as apps is quickly becoming the hip/cool/buzzwordy thing to do now. Especially since that grants your website extra permissions like caching your entire web application on the users hard disk so it doesn't have to hit the internet and so it's accessible offline, or additional/unlimited LocalStorage space, or being able to display crappy notifications whenever the hell you feel like, or run tasks in the background when the computer starts, or the ability to run Native Client code.
    Also by being local it can now have better access to everything you do on your computer, google is addicted to people's personal information.

@blakeyrat said:

Who came up with this design? You suck at UIs. You are fucking awful. Remove yourself immediately from software development and go flip pancakes or something else you actually might not suck ass at.
    Are you crazy?  Do you want food poisoning?  Personally I would rather have them stocking shelves than them cooking food that I would be consuming.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Anketam said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Are you crazy?  Do you want food poisoning?  Personally I would rather have them stocking shelves than them cooking food that I would be consuming.

Here's your hamburger. It's on a sesame seed bun. No, those aren't poppy seeds. They're sesame seeds. Also, I put on your burger: lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, cheese, mustard, relish, mayo, bbq sauce, salt, pepper, sauerkraut, chutney, corn, apple slices, and another hamburger. There are not hot peppers. Not enough people explicitly requested them. Be sure to tell me how your burger is. How is it? Seriously, how is it? Tell me. Now. How is it? How is it now? How old are you and where are you going next? Enjoying the burger? Have any feedback? Where were you before this restaurant? How is it?

• @Lorne Kates said:

Also, I put on your burger: lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, cheese, mustard, relish, mayo, bbq sauce, salt, pepper, sauerkraut, chutney, corn, apple slices, and another hamburger.

That sounds pretty tasty.  Maybe you should start a burger joint.

@Lorne Kates said:

There are not hot peppers. Not enough people explicitly requested them.

I'm sure we can find enough people to request them so that they get added in to the kitchen sink burger you described.

• @Lorne Kates said:

Here's your hamburger. It's on a sesame seed bun. No, those aren't poppy seeds. They're sesame seeds. Also, I put on your burger: lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, cheese, mustard, relish, mayo, bbq sauce, salt, pepper, sauerkraut, chutney, corn, apple slices, and another hamburger. There are not hot peppers. Not enough people explicitly requested them. Be sure to tell me how your burger is. How is it? Seriously, how is it? Tell me. Now. How is it? How is it now? How old are you and where are you going next? Enjoying the burger? Have any feedback? Where were you before this restaurant? How is it?
    If this were fb, I would +1 it.

• ♿ (Parody)

@TGV said:

@Lorne Kates said:

If this were fb, I would +1 it.

And if this were Reddit I would totally Digg it. But if you just gave it to me, I'd remove the apple slices.

• @boomzilla said:

And if this were Reddit I would totally Digg it. But if you just gave it to me, I'd remove the apple slices.

I would quietly place the purple dildo on the table and just glare.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Anketam said:

@blakeyrat said:

Hah.  Now, when you go to the grocery store, everything is sorted alphabetically, but by the name of the first ingredient of the item.

• @FrostCat said:

@Anketam said:

@blakeyrat said:

Hah.  Now, when you go to the grocery store, everything is sorted alphabetically, but by the name of the first ingredient of the item.

So everything is filed under High-Fructose Corn Syrup?

• @Sutherlands said:

@FrostCat said:
    @Anketam said:

@blakeyrat said:

Isn't that why stores now have the 'natural' food isles at stores.  Everything not in that isle is filed under corn syrup.

• @Anketam said:

@Sutherlands said:

Isn't that why stores now have the 'natural' food isles at stores.  Everything not in that isle is filed under corn syrup.

Somebody needs to figure out a way to make High-Fructose Corn Syrup in a "natural" fashion. Whatever the fuck that means.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@MiffTheFox said:

Somebody needs to figure out a way to make High-Fructose Corn Syrup in a "natural" fashion. Whatever the fuck that means.

Since, in the U.S., "...neither the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) nor the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has rules for “natural."" (wiki, of course)-- and since high-fructose corn syrup is just a join of Fructose and Glucose, both of which occur in nature, why's stopping you? There's profit to be had from the gullible. 

• @Lorne Kates said:

Now I want you to imagine the burger as a person, and I'm going to read you a list of words you might use to describe that person; please tell me on a scale of one to five how well each word describes that person, one being "describes very much", two "describes somewhat", three "neither describes nor does not describe", four "does not describe somewhat", and five "does not describe at all".  Ready?

The first word is "disingenuous"....

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@da Doctah said:

Now I want you to imagine the burger as a person, and I'm going to read you a list of words you might use to describe that person; please tell me on a scale of one to five how well each word describes that person, one being "describes very much", two "describes somewhat", three "neither describes nor does not describe", four "does not describe somewhat", and five "does not describe at all".  Ready?

The first word is "disingenuous"....

NaN

• The problem is if I make a "Blakeyrat-at-work" account then I can't check my "Blakeyrat-at-home" email. I just want a dumb browser that is dumb and a dumb Gmail that is dumb and I don't want features or apps or logins or unfairly favoring Google services, I just want dumb like web browsers used to be back in the good ol' days yeeehaw.

Not to mention the "Blakeyrat-at-work" account has no purpose to exist anyway, since I don't use any Google services at work.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

"Blakeyrat-at-work"

We can rant if we want to

We can troll your friends UI

'Cause your friends don't QA and if they don't QA

Well they're shit developers

I say, we can troll where we want to

A forum they will never find

And we can flame with our shoulder aliens

Leave sanity far behind

And we can rant

• @blakeyrat said:

Not to mention the "Blakeyrat-at-work" account has no purpose to exist anyway, since I don't use any Google services at work.

So, uh, why do you want multiple accounts then?

I'm lost - it sounds like signing in isn't what you want. You could always just check your email from work via gmail.com, no?

• @insanitybit said:

So, uh, why do you want multiple accounts then?

I don't. Miff brought that up, not me.

@insanitybit said:

I'm lost - it sounds like signing in isn't what you want.

Yes. Which is why I want Chrome to stop naggnig me about it.

@insanitybit said:

You could always just check your email from work via gmail.com, no?

Yes but I have to be careful not to sign-in to Chrome because if I accidentally do, it'll suddenly sync my bookmarks and passwords and shit which are not something I want on the work network.

• @boomzilla said:

We can rant if we want to

I have that tune stuck in my head now, you bastid.

• im just gonna go nuts with copy/pasting breaks so let's hope that works out. I support bitching of all forms, I'm just throwing ideas out (I don't usually follow up on all of my refferal info lol). My suggestion is that you start the Chromium bugs relevant to this stuff if they've been made and if they haven't been you should go ahead and make them. I wouldn't expect Google Chrome's browser not to come with Google stuff though - like I said, you should try Chromium. Or Firefox, whichever.

@blakeyrat said:

Yes. Which is why I want Chrome to stop naggnig me about it.

When does it nag? I sign in, so the only time I've had Chrome not signed in is in a VM for testing and I haven't seen it, but I'm assuming it's due to the short time.

@blakeyrat said:
    Yes but I have to be careful not to sign-in to Chrome because if I accidentally do, it'll suddenly sync my bookmarks and passwords and shit which are not something I want on the work network.

I guess I'm missing some kinda nag screen? I don't know how you could go to gmail.com and then accidentally hit the wrench button and then slip on the mouse pad sending you to the sign in page where you dropped your lunch and it hit the keys logging you into your gmail account.

I feel like there are a few steps involved here that would probably not let this work. I guess it really depends on what you're having for lunch.