The Daily WTF: Curious Perversions in Information Technology
Welcome to TDWTF Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

please don't screw me

Last post 12-18-2012 9:31 PM by flabdablet. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-14-2012 7:10 AM

please don't screw me

I just found this beauty on stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13875878/send-email-w-o-gmail-authentication-in-java This guys trys to send email through gmail, but has some dificulties. While explainging his efford, he blindly copy/pastes the source of his program, including gmail credentials. This is quite a awsome wtf to begin with, but the best is: When someone tells hime to be carefull with these thing, he sais: "i doesn't mention my gmail username and password anywhere in my code.it is possible for send mail in java" He doens't even know! He changed the post now, but I was there when he just posted it, and it was his actual password!
  • 12-14-2012 7:39 AM In reply to

Re: please don't screw me

Smart guy :/

I flagged it because the password is still in the clear if you take a look at revisions.

• 12-14-2012 8:43 AM In reply to

• keigezellig
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-08-2008
    • Venlo, The Netherlands
    • Posts 44

And he should maybe do a course in English...
    no.i have delivery the mail in my inbox.but in my code below line i have mentioned username and password of my mailid.that line i doesn't mention username and password at the same time my mail is delivery on my mail inbox.any other possible way is available here. return new PasswordAuthentication("xxxxx@gmail.com","xxxx!1"
  • 12-14-2012 10:07 AM In reply to

• tchize
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-26-2006
    • Belgium
    • Posts 301

Not all people around the world english speak. This have not fun making of this guy. I have my best to do english speak two, it have not easy :D

• 12-14-2012 3:57 PM In reply to

• rudraigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-07-2008
    • Ess Eff Bayeria
    • Posts 107

That is ok as long as you are do the necessary.
  • 12-17-2012 5:18 AM In reply to

tchize:

Not all people around the world english speak. This have not fun making of this guy. I have my best to do english speak two, it have not easy :D

There you say me something

It's... Monkey Piston's Frying Circle!
  • 12-18-2012 5:21 AM In reply to

The real WTF is including credentials into code/executables. Here's another example I stumbled upon the week http://crashreporterdotnet.codeplex.com/documentation It suggests obfuscating the executable. So far about false sense of security.
  • 12-18-2012 9:31 PM In reply to

Thomfox:
    The real WTF is including credentials into code/executables. Here's another example I stumbled upon the week http://crashreporterdotnet.codeplex.com/documentation It suggests obfuscating the executable. So far about false sense of security.

To be fair, it also suggests creating a new Gmail account.

It's pretty tough to authenticate against a service requiring a shared secret if you're not allowed to remember that secret.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)