Convenient WTF self-contained in a single image

• Context? ... well ok. This is a screenshot from Uncharted: Golden Abyss. As part of the game's plot, your character finds a parchment with hidden writing on it-- the writing is revealed by holding the parchment up to a light source. The game developers decided to implement this feature by having the player hold their Vita up to a light source. Seems sensible, yes? Er... to quote my own Tweets:

@Some handsome fellow said:

For fuck's sake, Uncharted for Vita, I'm on a bus in October, how the fuck am I going to hold the Vita up to a bright light?

What the holy fuck is the point of a mobile gaming system if none of the fucking games can be played while mobile? Jesus.

And no, you can't skip that part. I'm stuck in the game because I don't have a fucking light bulb handy. Fuck you, Vita

... yeah. And that comes right after a part where I look like a spaz with a severe motor control problem tilting the fucking Vita left and right to navigate down a river. In the middle, I remind you, of a crowded bus. There's two analog sticks, a gamepad, a touchscreen, and a rear touchscreen-- make sure you pick the control mechanism that's MOST inconvenient for every situation guys!

The really really stupid thing is that for virtually EVERY OTHER FUNCTION IN THE GAME, Uncharted: Golden Abyss has alternate controls for the touchpad controls. For some reason it didn't occur to them to have alternate controls for "swimming in the rapids" sequence or the "hold the parchment against a light bulb" puzzle.

The nice thing is I found out if you take a screenshot in some games, it puts the copyright information right there on the image. So now you know who to blame for this huge WTF: Sony Computer Entertainment America, Bend Studio, and Naughty Dog, Inc. Congratulations you three companies, you've ruined your otherwise fine game with WTFery.

• (Psst: want to see the solution? Here.)

• I'll repeat what I said to you on Twitter then; a lot of DS and iPhone games do this shit too. Biggest example I can think of on the DS is Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (One puzzle requires putting the system to sleep and Zelda has been abusing blowing into the mic since the Famicom days), and several popular iOS games are exclusively or heavily accelerometer* controlled.

* Preemptive strike: It's spelled əselorametər. Don't make me repeat my grammar nazi rant again.

• Hah, this is like 'Frobisher Says'. The game is a nice portable WarioWare game, but I'm typically playing it at night, and actually in a relatively decently-lit room, but I just cannot get it to "read" any object of the correct color when it asks me to find an object that's red/blue/green/wtf-ever.

• Gotta concur (especially about Zelda): in Spirit Tracks you also blow in the microphone for some stuff, and in practice in the bus given the noise it considers you're blowing full time; it's still tolerable to use some stuff like the fan or do simple songs on the pan flute, but each time I would get one of these complex songs with one of the wise men to extend the tracks, I would be all "Ok, I think I'll do that one at home" and put the DS to sleep. Bonus points for putting one of those in the middle of the final boss sequence. I mean, isn't keeping children entertained for long car trips one of the primary use cases for these?

• @MiffTheFox said:

I'll repeat what I said to you on Twitter then; a lot of DS and iPhone games do this shit too. Biggest example I can think of on the DS is Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (One puzzle requires putting the system to sleep and Zelda has been abusing blowing into the mic since the Famicom days), and several popular iOS games are exclusively or heavily accelerometer* controlled.

A notable case: "Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time". The entire game is controlled with the buttons, you can't even use the touchscreen for navigating the menus, which is weird for a DS game, but near the end there is a part where you have to clean a picture by rubbing it with your stylus for about ten seconds. And that's it. The game doesn't even acknowledge the fact that you have a touchscreen until then (or after).

Maybe there is a clause somewhere in the development kit license agreement that says all games have to use the touchscreen or microphone at least once?

• @ZPedro said:

Gotta concur (especially about Zelda): in Spirit Tracks you also blow in the microphone for some stuff, and in practice in the bus given the noise it considers you're blowing full time; it's still tolerable to use some stuff like the fan or do simple songs on the pan flute, but each time I would get one of these complex songs with one of the wise men to extend the tracks, I would be all "Ok, I think I'll do that one at home" and put the DS to sleep. Bonus points for putting one of those in the middle of the final boss sequence. I mean, isn't keeping children entertained for long car trips one of the primary use cases for these?
    I tried playing this game on the metro, did not work out well.  There are some points where you are suppose to talk into the mic.  Nothing creepy about a guy talking to his DS on a metro train.  Also the background noise from the metro was loud enough that the game thought I was constantly blowing into the mic.  This caused things like the fan to work like a machine gun rather than a controlled precision tool.  Also caused the flute to be near unusable.  What I had to do was put a finger on the mic to act as the gaps between the notes.  Also having the touch pad control both walking and attacking BAD idea.  I go to attack and Link walks into the guy, and when I am trying to run he attacks.  The fix would have been easy have one or the other controlled by buttons, but nope had to make it one of the hardest games to control.

• So the question is, do these developers put in a gameplay element that guarantees a large percentage of their players will not be able to progress on purpose? Or is the real WTF that they never bother to test their games in real-world use scenarios? Or is the WTF that "mobile" gaming systems, despite being small and battery-powered, were never designed to be used while mobile in the first place?

I haven't used a mobile gaming system since the original Gameboy, which didn't have this problem at all (although it might have merely been because it didn't have cameras or tilt sensors or touchscreens or what-not.) When did this happen?

Sony doesn't warn you the game can't be played on a bus when you buy it. Nor do any reviewers of the game mention it (another WTF? What does IGN have to gain by keeping this information from me? Or do they also not bother testing mobile games in real-world scenarios also?)

How do we get the message to game developers that this is NOT ok?

• @blakeyrat said:

So the question is, do these developers put in a gameplay element that guarantees a large percentage of their players will not be able to progress on purpose? Or is the real WTF that they never bother to test their games in real-world use scenarios? Or is the WTF that "mobile" gaming systems, despite being small and battery-powered, were never designed to be used while mobile in the first place?

I think that part of the problem is the fact that the system is portable in the first place. Things like AR games on the 3DS require you to move around which is obviously impossible in certain contexts. On the other hand, that kind of gameplay is basically impossible on a console, because it's not mobile at all.

The obvious resolution to this conflict is to ban these features completely, but I think that would be a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

@MiffTheFox said:

Biggest example I can think of on the DS is Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (One puzzle requires putting the system to sleep and Zelda [...])

However, I don't think that counts. That's a clever use of a DS system. For those who don't know the puzzle, you've got a stone tablet with a glowing symbol on the top screen, and a map on the bottom screen. The puzzle is to figure out how to transfer the symbol from the top to the bottom. The solution is to close the system, which simulates putting the tablet onto the map, and transferring the system.

• @pkmnfrk said:

The obvious resolution to this conflict is to ban these features completely, but I think that would be a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I'd be 100% happy if, in addition to saying "uses touchpad" in the PSN store, the game description said, "REQUIRES touchpad, REQUIRES tilt control, REQUIRES microphone" etc. Then I'd at least be able to make an informed buying decision. And again, I read reviews for these games, but the reviewers NEVER MENTION IT.

As-is, I keep buying fucking games I can't play. Mutant Blobs Attack was the worst, because like the Luigi example above it had tilt control levels but they were all optional-- until the very last level, when suddenly out of nowhere you were required to use the tilt control. They were so close to having it right! So close! (I don't rail on them too much because they're an indie, the game cost $7, and despite that flaw it's still the best game on the platform.)

Similarly, Uncharted has alternative button-and-stick controls for almost everything until you get an HOUR in, which is the first time you're introduced to a section that requires the tilt controls. By the time you hit the section of the game you can't progress past, you're already 100% engaged with the game and story, it's like a kick in the face. (I actually did the tilt control sections, even though you look like a retard doing those on a bus-- the reason I started this thread is that the "hold the Vita against a light" thing came COMPLETELY out of left field.)

@pkmnfrk said:

However, I don't think that counts. That's a clever use of a DS system. For those who don't know the puzzle, you've got a stone tablet with a glowing symbol on the top screen, and a map on the bottom screen. The puzzle is to figure out how to transfer the symbol from the top to the bottom. The solution is to close the system, which simulates putting the tablet onto the map, and transferring the system.

That's stupid. It's just slightly less stupid because it's all self-contained in one machine and doesn't require finding a bare lightbulb. Same thing with the tilt controls in Uncharted, I didn't post about those because at least those are self-contained on the system. But they're still stupid.

Do you guys think we should make a novelty site like, "doesmymobilegameactuallyworkwhenmobile.com?" I can fill in like 5-6 games worth of material, but I don't have a DS and I'm not exactly itching to buy more Vita games after the awful experiences I've had with this shit console. But maybe game developers would see it at least.

• @blakeyrat said:

How do we get the message to game developers that this is NOT ok?

While I flat out refuse to buy DS (or Vita for that matter) because they use way too much gimmick like that instead of real gameplay, I commute two time per day, and except the day where metro failure mean that the metro is overcrowded, I alway have a source of (reasonably) bright light by hand and more than enough place to dance if i really want to, so using an accelerometer would not be a problem for me.

I suppose it's the same for tests : they have real world scenario which are significantly better than your own.

Also, editor don't hear player much. They hear marketing services and have to obey to console company. If the aforementioned console company want them to use a gimmick in every game, they will (have to) comply. I actually have the same problem with Facebook and Apple at my job : we often add very specific and useless bit to our game just because Facebook and/or Apple want us to do so.

• @blakeyrat said:

By the time you hit the section of the game you can't progress past, you're already 100% engaged with the game and story, it's like a kick in the face.

You just described with perfect accuracy what I experienced with Shadowgun on android. The issue is not caused by the choice of controllers, but the difficulty ramp is somewhat a bit unbalanced. And by that I mean the game is EXTREMELY easy for a good part of it (really, you can take dozens of shots, take cover and wait your health to magically recover. And your enemies won't even come after you if you are taking cover. Even if you are taking cover against a crate and they are on the other side of it). However, as this is one of the few Android games who aren't following the philosophy of "let's repeat the same shit all over again infinitelly, no stages, progress or anything" (running forever on a temple gets boring after some time, you know) or hit by the freemium fever, and there's actually a somewhat decent story and really good graphics for a mobile game, I actually enjoyed it despite of being a bit too easy.

Until a part where you have to run backwards, avoid obstacles in the way, and shoot the ceiling, while a huge drill car chases you and destroys everything in a tiny cave. The onscreen controls for both walking and aiming/shooting are a terrible mess in this situation. I've been repeating this scene for like 2 or 3 hours and I'm almost giving up. =/

• I don't mind if they USE the gimmick; I mind if they require it to progress in the game.

• @ZPedro said:

Gotta concur (especially about Zelda): in Spirit Tracks you also blow in the microphone for some stuff, and in practice in the bus given the noise it considers you're blowing full time; it's still tolerable to use some stuff like the fan or do simple songs on the pan flute, but each time I would get one of these complex songs with one of the wise men to extend the tracks, I would be all "Ok, I think I'll do that one at home" and put the DS to sleep. Bonus points for putting one of those in the middle of the final boss sequence. I mean, isn't keeping children entertained for long car trips one of the primary use cases for these?

God damn that flute. Was there a way you were supposed to do it without putting the DS so close to your face you can't use the touchscreen well?

At least the new Pokemon games don't make using anything besides the buttons necessary, but if you want to mess with some of the superfluous features you're out of luck. Feeling check (some sort of love tester thing)* requires you to touch two different spots on the touchscreen at once, ostensibly with your thumbs... unless you're using a 3DS, who's touchscreen doesn't respond to bare finger presses. And this is on a game that came out a year and a half after the 3DS to boot.

While we're on the subject of complaining of gimmicks in handheld games, Pokemon seems to assume that most of it's players are kids who take the game to school to play with other kids. No I'm not going to be able to do a "survey" of ten nearby people, I've only got like one other friend who plays!

(Not even going to rant about how the only repeatable way to get berries in the first Black and White was to play the "dream world" part, which if you didn't have a DSi like I did not at the time limited you to connecting over 802.11b and WEP.)

* What? It's a good, repeatable, way to get heart scales.

•  @MiffTheFox said:

@ZPedro said:

God damn that flute. Was there a way you were supposed to do it without putting the DS so close to your face you can't use the touchscreen well?

That depends on how close you consider that to be, but on my DS Lite, Spirit Tracks will detect my blowing at a distance of about 20-30 cm (that's 8-12 inches for you non-metric types), as long as I, y'know, actually blow into the mic.

@MiffTheFox said:

unless you're using a 3DS, who's touchscreen doesn't respond to bare finger presses.

I have my 3DS right next to me, and it works just fine with my finger. (*Maybe* the 3DS XL is different - can't say since I haven't tried one of those, although I doubt it).

The problem is more likely to be down to the fact that the (3)DS(i) screens were never designed for multitouch; it can be faked, but I suspect that it might behave slightly differently on different touchscreen hardware and that might have something to do with it. (That, or you're just doing it wrong, I dunno.)

@MiffTheFox said:

While we're on the subject of complaining of gimmicks in handheld games, Pokemon seems to assume that most of it's players are kids who take the game to school to play with other kids. No I'm nqot going to be able to do a "survey" of ten nearby people, I've only got like one other friend who plays!

Well - a lot of them are. I don't know if BW2 is doing anything different here, but in BW, you're not really missing out on anything important - based ón the list on Bulbapedia, all of the items you can get from it can either be gotten from other sources, or are only good for selling anyway (like Nuggets).

•  My thought is, it's just enough to make sure you arn't playing on an emulator...

• Far too many F-words for me to take interest in what you were saying. Trying to understand the few words between the "F"s was so difficult I gave up. Sorry. Maybe next time you can show some respect for your readers.

• @SilentRunner said:

Far too many F-words for me to take interest in what you were saying. Trying to understand the few words between the "F"s was so difficult I gave up. Sorry. Maybe next time you can show some respect for your readers.

I'm so sorry that reading comprehension is difficult for you. Have you asked your doctor about something to help you concentrate?

• Yes, vulgar language censors, but this site is too low-brow to afford one.

• He's just a troll, he does that in every thread. Don't feed trolls.

• Nope, not a troll, whatever that is this week.

Just trying to get the little boys to write to be understood and not to write to try to look like a big boy who knows the bad words.

• @Pidgeot said:

@MiffTheFox said:

While we're on the subject of complaining of gimmicks in handheld games, Pokemon seems to assume that most of it's players are kids who take the game to school to play with other kids. No I'm nqot going to be able to do a "survey" of ten nearby people, I've only got like one other friend who plays!

Well - a lot of them are. I don't know if BW2 is doing anything different here, but in BW, you're not really missing out on anything important - based ón the list on Bulbapedia, all of the items you can get from it can either be gotten from other sources, or are only good for selling anyway (like Nuggets).

No you don't need them, I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining. BW2 actually toned down the multiplayer stuff a lot (Entralink missions are now the best way to get berries, and you can do them by yourself now), but the C-Gear still feels like a slap in the face compared to the amazing touch-driven menu system in HGSS.*

Also I tried my 3DS's touchscreen and yeah it works with a finger but you have to press quite hard.

The Poketch was nice but pretty much all I used it for was the "show my active pokemon and their statuses" screen. If I could get the pause menus on the bottom screen without pausing that would be the best.

• @SilentRunner said:

Yes, vulgar language censors, but this site is too low-brow to afford one.

Is the word "fucking" too long for you to comprehend? I don't blame you. It's a pretty long word.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@SilentRunner said:

Far too many F-words for me to take interest in what you were saying. Trying to understand the few words between the "F"s was so difficult I gave up. Sorry. Maybe next time you can show some respect for your readers.
    Or you could simply refrain from posting to threads you should have stopped reading as soon as you realised you weren't interested in them, instead of foisting your own morals onto others.

• @SilentRunner said:

Just trying to get the little boys to write to be understood and not to write to try to look like a big boy who knows the bad words.
    Welcome to the internet.

There are no training wheels, no guard rails, no safety harnesses.

You will be exposed to truth, no matter what kind it is.

Penis goes into vagina, there is no Santa Claus, American politics consists of two incompetent and increasingly radical parties counting on the stupidity of the moderates, and "fuck" is a word.

If you are not ready for the truth, there are sites for you. This is not one of them.

Welcome.

• @MiffTheFox said:

At least the new Pokemon games don't make using anything besides the buttons necessary, but if you want to mess with some of the superfluous features you're out of luck. Feeling check (some sort of love tester thing)* requires you to touch two different spots on the touchscreen at once, ostensibly with your thumbs... unless you're using a 3DS, who's touchscreen doesn't respond to bare finger presses. And this is on a game that came out a year and a half after the 3DS to boot.

While we're on the subject of complaining of gimmicks in handheld games, Pokemon seems to assume that most of it's players are kids who take the game to school to play with other kids. No I'm not going to be able to do a "survey" of ten nearby people, I've only got like one other friend who plays!

(Not even going to rant about how the only repeatable way to get berries in the first Black and White was to play the "dream world" part, which if you didn't have a DSi like I did not at the time limited you to connecting over 802.11b and WEP.)

* What? It's a good, repeatable, way to get heart scales.

Haven't touched (no pun intended) feeling check, but at least indeed in Pokemon (White 1 in my case), while touchscreen use comes out of the blue, it is confined to extras like that or the Pokemon Musical. I was able use the corner of my thumb's nail when I once found myself withut a stylus (lost one and had the other at home so as not to lose it), but obviously YMMV.

"Oh, of course, Nintendo, I am going to go out of my way to provide you with hand-collected analytics about my friends. At once sir…" (One friend who plays? Lucky you!)

@Pidgeot said:

That depends on how close you consider that to be, but on my DS Lite, Spirit Tracks will detect my blowing at a distance of about 20-30 cm (that's 8-12 inches for you non-metric types), as long as I, y'know, actually blow into the mic.

I think the issue is more that, especially with the later songs, you've got notes you need to skip over and playing a note not in the sequence even for a quarter femtosecond will make you fail the song (even though, you know, that happens all the time when playing harmonica or the pan flute IRL) so you need tight sync between your blow and stylus movement, and in practice for me blowing from closer indeed helped.

@Anketam said:

I tried playing this game on the metro, did not work out well.  There are some points where you are suppose to talk into the mic.  Nothing creepy about a guy talking to his DS on a metro train.

Oh, darn, forgot that one…

"Yes you're pretty. Yes, you are. Goshdarn it, yes, you are. Thanks for the treasure."

"Yes, I'm a boy. You know that already. It's not the first time I'm coming. At least you could ask what my favorite color is. Okay old ghoul, are going going to read me my fortunes for the umpteenth time so that I can buy ANOTHER of these "lucky" jars in that dumb scam of yours because the pirates broke the previous one I bought and I seriously wonder which path one is supposed to take out of your fish village so that it is even remotely easy to go elsewhere without having broken tableware, or gardenware in our case, I mean my map is pretty well annotated such that for all other fedex-missions-where-the-destination-is-not-given-at-the-source-and-I-have-to-pay-for-the-cargo-I-load I can tell the optimal path or indeed the only viable one, while here the "goods" break at the first hit and two exits say pirate ships and the third pirate tanks and this has better be worth it and the wise man of the snow land will seriously owe me when all this is said and done?"

I've got a DS Lite so at least I know I can get a respite in case such stuff happens by playing a GBA game. For those who don't have GBA compatibility Contra 4 can play the same purpose (as far as I can tell: I haven't gotten past the city on Easy because it stops there, or past the Ocean on Normal).

• @MiffTheFox said:

@ZPedro said:

Oh man, I hated the stupid special songs. I had so much trouble getting the 5th area open because the game simply refused to believe that I'd stopped touching the screen for the few frames it mattered. That's about the only "gimmick" that bugged me in that game. And, it made up for it by getting to drive a train around.

******####*
                *****####
                     ___][.
    ______[o_o][o_o][o___%]\______

@MiffTheFox said:

[citation needed]

The feeling check thing obviously does not require multitouch since the DS and 3DS do not support that. If you touch the screen in multiple places, the game sees the point as being half-way between the two actual touches. This can be seen using the drawing app in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

Fingers are just fine for using the touch screen on the 3DS (I have an original, though I can't imagine the XL being any different). Like hell I'm going to take out the style for every single battle only to put it away once it's done.

• @pkmnfrk said:

And, it made up for it by getting to drive a train around.

******####*
                *****####
                     ___][.

You should buy Train Simulator 2013 on Steam; your head would explode.

This thread reminds me of a Gameboy Advance game, Boktai, where you played a vampire hunter with a solar-powered gun.  No, really, there was a light sensor in the cartridge, and you needed sunlight for ammunition.  Good luck playing indoors or at night.

ETA:  Because unlike the game Blakey describes, Boktai's sensor did NOT respond to a light bulb.

@MiffTheFox said:

@Pidgeot said:
    @MiffTheFox said:

No you don't need them, I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining. BW2 actually toned down the multiplayer stuff a lot (Entralink missions are now the best way to get berries, and you can do them by yourself now), but the C-Gear still feels like a slap in the face compared to the amazing touch-driven menu system in HGSS.*

Also I tried my 3DS's touchscreen and yeah it works with a finger but you have to press quite hard.

The Poketch was nice but pretty much all I used it for was the "show my active pokemon and their statuses" screen. If I could get the pause menus on the bottom screen without pausing that would be the best.

One thing that was nice about Dragon Quest IX for the DS was that they arranged for meetups at Best Buys all over the country so you could deal with a "need to link up with other people" sidequest.

• @FrostCat said:

One thing that was nice about Dragon Quest IX for the DS was that they arranged for meetups at Best Buys all over the country so you could deal with a "need to link up with other people" sidequest.

Wait, is THAT what the "want to touch a cloud" thing was all about? I didn't think she was talking about THAT kind of cloud...

@ekolis said:

@FrostCat said:

Wait, is THAT what the "want to touch a cloud" thing was all about? I didn't think she was talking about THAT kind of cloud...

No, the more people you connect to, the bigger your inn gets--that's how you get rid of the rope blocking the upper floors. Also if you get 30 connections then an underground grotto opens in the inn basement.

• @blakeyrat said:

@pkmnfrk said:

******####*
                *****####
                     ___][.

But then I'd be compelled to get the DLC, and I don't have that kind of cash :(

• @pkmnfrk said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @pkmnfrk said:

******####*
                *****####
                     ___][.

But then I'd be compelled to get the DLC, and I don't have that kind of cash :(

Each DLC adds a stunning 0.05 seconds of gameplay and is available for only $1.99