Clerks (administration workers) and documents

• @nonpartisan said:

At the end there was a question about Mr. Davis' guilt, but Morbs has an answer for that too.

No, there wasn't. Look, if you don't think it's moral to execute murderers, fine, just say that. I'll disagree, but at least you're being honest. Don't lie and pretend he wasn't guilty just to manipulate people into siding with you.

@nonpartisan said:

Regardless, if a house is in disrepair, that does not obligate a person to go and spray graffiti all over it or bust out its windows. You walk on by, or you stop to help, but you don't do anything to make it worse, which is what Morbs did.

This is the silliest metaphor I have ever seen. A better one might be: if you're walking by the scene of a Klan rally, you don't bow your head and hurry past like some pussies would do, you tell them to fuck off and hurl insults. I know you're the kind of vagina that would weep over a murderer being punished, but don't get angry because I don't share your moral infirmity.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I don't even think his family was reading the memorial (but I have no way of knowing for sure)
    FTFY.

@morbiuswilters said:

But for the fun of it, I want to challenge your holier-than-thou morals. Let's say Hitler's family resurrected a memorial to him, would it be wrong to deface it?
    Yes.  Human decency cuts both ways here.  In good taste, the family should not put up a large, gaudy memorial due to the atrocities he committed.  But if the family wants a small memorial on their own land, who are you to decide that it should be defaced?  For better or worse, you're talking about someone who is part of their family tree.  And what if the memorial said "Adolf Hitler -- Nazi Leader -- Lest We Never Forget The Atrocities Of Genocide"?  To remember someone in order to avoid forgetting the lessons of a dark period in history is worthy too.

@morbiuswilters said:

What if the family was really, really sad over their loss of him?
    I would expect some of the family would regard him as a murderer and the sonofabitch that, in my opinion, he was.  And yet there were likely friends, relatives, who could go back and say, "Adolf told me <insert story here> when I was a child and it stuck with me.  It taught me <insert life lesson here>.  Something went wrong with him in the end, but I will always remember him for that moment."  You see, nothing in life is black and white except for those two colors.  But I didn't recognize that when I was in my 20's and you're not seeing it either.

@morbiuswilters said:

there's obviously a line after which you think someone was enough of an asshole that it's okay to laugh at his death
    I didn't laugh at the death of Osama Bin Laden.  I was relieved that he was gone.  I will discuss what Bin Laden did with my children and we will talk about it.  But I wouldn't laugh at him.

@morbiuswilters said:

even if his family overhears you.
    Nope.  Human decency and good taste says you never do that.  Why do you think we have road rage?  Airplane rage?  Food rage?  Bicycle rage?  Train range?  <insert undefined type here> rage?  Because one person doesn't know when to shut up and feels an entitlement to express an unnecessary opinion that does nothing to help and only inflames the situation.

• @morbiuswilters said:

No, there wasn't. Look, if you don't think it's moral to execute murderers, fine, just say that. I'll disagree, but at least you're being honest. Don't lie and pretend he wasn't guilty just to manipulate people into siding with you.
    The only way you can know that 100% is if you were there.  And you weren't.  Ever seen people get released after 30+ years in jail because DNA evidence proves they were innocent?  Ever seen people executed and later it's announced "Oops, we made a mistake, he/she wasn't the guilty party"?

My opinions on the death penalty have nothing to do with this discussion.  For context of these next statements, I will stipulate that Troy Davis is 184% guilty as charged.  My opinion has to do with whether it's appropriate to rub insults into the faces of the friends and family of a criminal.  And the answer to that is, very simply, no.

@morbiuswilters said:

This is the silliest metaphor I have ever seen. A better one might be: if you're walking by the scene of a Klan rally, you don't bow your head and hurry past like some pussies would do, you tell them to fuck off and hurl insults. I know you're the kind of vagina that would weep over a murderer being punished, but don't get angry because I don't share your moral infirmity.
    Self-preservation says I'm not going to hurl insults at a group of people carrying torches and guns.  If you really want to do that, knock yourself out.  It's been . . . interesting . . . debating with you.  Of the two of us, at least I'll still be alive to live another day.  Will I call the authorities?  Damn straight -- I know when I'm outgunned.  And yes, there are people that I believe deserve the death penalty, whether they actually get it or not.  Osama Bin Laden.  Charles Manson.  The Green River Killer.  The Unabomber.  Timothy McVeigh.  But I would not say anything insulting to any of their family members because that's called "good taste."  It's how you navigate a civilized society.

• ♿ (Parody)

@nonpartisan said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Self-preservation says I'm not going to hurl insults at a group of people carrying torches and guns.  If you really want to do that, knock yourself out.  It's been . . . interesting . . . debating with you.  Of the two of us, at least I'll still be alive to live another day.  Will I call the authorities?  Damn straight -- I know when I'm outgunned.

Why do you hate free speech?

• @nonpartisan said:

... But I would not say anything insulting to any of their family members because that's called "good taste."  It's how you navigate a civilized society.
    I lolled at the fact you think we are a civilized society.  I personally would not laugh at a memorial that depicts an evil person as good, but I would feel strong emotions against it, and I fully understand why people like morbiuswilters would be incline to act out against it.

• @boomzilla said:

I don't hate free speech.  Morbs is free to say whatever he wants to them.  I'm free to say whatever I want to them as well.  My choice is to leave them alone so they don't shoot at me.  "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom from consequences."

• @Anketam said:

@nonpartisan said:

... But I would not say anything insulting to any of their family members because that's called "good taste."  It's how you navigate a civilized society.
    I lolled at the fact you think we are a civilized society.  I personally would not laugh at a memorial that depicts an evil person as good, but I would feel strong emotions against it, and I fully understand why people like morbiuswilters would be incline to act out against it.

I understand where he's coming from. I would feel emotions about it too. But the problem is that the family is collateral damage. They have had experiences and feelings that are likely counter to what the public has seen. Again, they need to look from the public perspective as well, but if they want to put up a memorial on private land, who are we to go and deface it?

Back to Troy Davis. Let's presume he's guilty on all counts. Does a Facebook page count as a gaudy public memorial? Until now I didn't know one had even existed; did others here know it besides Morbs? Based on his description, Morbs actively went out to cause emotional distress. In my view, that's no different than the punk riding down the street shooting paintballs at passers-by walking down the street and driving away laughing. He did it solely to elicit negative reaction and cause distress. That's repugnant and unacceptable.

• @nonpartisan said:

My choice is to leave them alone so they don't shoot at me.  "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom from consequences."

Last time I checked, shooting at someone for expressing opinions is illegal.  We're never completely free from the actions of scofflaws. However, laws are in place to deter such things.

• ♿ (Parody)

@nonpartisan said:

@boomzilla said:

I don't hate free speech.  Morbs is free to say whatever he wants to them.  I'm free to say whatever I want to them as well.  My choice is to leave them alone so they don't shoot at me.  "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom from consequences."

So why are you going to call the authorities on an assembly of citizens peacefully gathered, expressing their opinions? You should move to some place that doesn't value free speech, like Australia.

• @frits said:

@nonpartisan said:

My choice is to leave them alone so they don't shoot at me.  "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom from consequences."

Last time I checked, shooting at someone for expressing opinions is illegal.  We're never completely free from the actions of scofflaws. However, laws are in place to deter such things.

Given the history of the Klan as a whole I would not trust my life to them doing the right thing (leaving me alone for lawfully expressing my opinion).

• @morbiuswilters said:

I'm just making the point that there's obviously a line after which you think someone was enough of an asshole that it's okay to laugh at his death, even if his family overhears you.

No.

• @morbiuswilters said:

if you're walking by the scene of a Klan rally, you don't bow your head and hurry past like some pussies would do, you tell them to fuck off and hurl insults.

Really bad metaphor. These Klan members are alive.

• @nonpartisan said:

Does a Facebook page count as a gaudy public memorial?

Yes.

• @boomzilla said:

@nonpartisan said:
    @boomzilla said:

So why are you going to call the authorities on an assembly of citizens peacefully gathered, expressing their opinions? You should move to some place that doesn't value free speech, like Australia.

My impression of a Klan "rally" meant, as I said, torches and guns, ready to attack. Your impression may be different. If Morbs meant a peaceful gathering in a clubhouse deciding what color doilies they would sell for Christmas, fine. They have a right to peacefully assemble and I'll do nothing to interfere with that.

• Even Hitler?

• @nonpartisan said:

Yes.  Human decency cuts both ways here.  In good taste, the family should not put up a large, gaudy memorial due to the atrocities he committed.  But if the family wants a small memorial on their own land, who are you to decide that it should be defaced?

Wow, you're more disgusting than I thought.

@nonpartisan said:

I didn't laugh at the death of Osama Bin Laden.  I was relieved that he was gone.  I will discuss what Bin Laden did with my children and we will talk about it.  But I wouldn't laugh at him.

How do people end up as twisted as you?

@nonpartisan said:

Human decency and good taste says you never do that.

Soo.. respecting murderers is human decency and good taste? How did you parents fail so horribly?

• @nonpartisan said:

Ever seen people get released after 30+ years in jail because DNA evidence proves they were innocent?

Jail sentences receive far, far, far less scrutiny than death sentences.

@nonpartisan said:

Ever seen people executed and later it's announced "Oops, we made a mistake, he/she wasn't the guilty party"?

Not in, like, the last 40 years.

@nonpartisan said:

Self-preservation says I'm not going to hurl insults at a group of people carrying torches and guns.

It's doubtful they are carrying guns. And if they're stupid enough to start violence, they'll go to jail (or end up dead), so let 'em. But Klan people don't start violence in public because the cops are just waiting for them to slip up.

@nonpartisan said:

And yes, there are people that I believe deserve the death penalty, whether they actually get it or not.  Osama Bin Laden.  Charles Manson.  The Green River Killer.  The Unabomber.  Timothy McVeigh.  But I would not say anything insulting to any of their family members because that's called "good taste."  It's how you navigate a civilized society.

So in your mind, it's okay for society to kill these people, but not for anyone to actually be happy about it.

• I don't get this thread. Why would anybody be angry at some guy or some memorial or someone defacing a memorial or Hitler?

• @nonpartisan said:

Does a Facebook page count as a gaudy public memorial? Until now I didn't know one had even existed; did others here know it besides Morbs?

In order: Yes. Yes.

@nonpartisan said:

He did it solely to elicit negative reaction and cause distress. That's repugnant and unacceptable.

Well, and to be the lone voice of reason, standing up for what is right. And it's not like I crashed a funeral or harassed his family in-person. Someone put up a memorial which was repulsive in it's content; claiming he was a good man, claiming the person he murdered probably deserved it.

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I'm just making the point that there's obviously a line after which you think someone was enough of an asshole that it's okay to laugh at his death, even if his family overhears you.

No.

So I'm the only person who laughs at Hitler's death? What is wrong with you people?

• @serguey123 said:

I don't get this thread. Why would anybody be angry at some guy or some memorial or someone defacing a memorial or Hitler?

But wait, don't you live in a country where the government is stealing all of Hitler's "cult-of-personality" tactics?

Oh, right, you're really from Hutchinson, Kansas.

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

if you're walking by the scene of a Klan rally, you don't bow your head and hurry past like some pussies would do, you tell them to fuck off and hurl insults.

Really bad metaphor. These Klan members are alive.

I disagree (about the metaphor part). They're expressing a repulsive opinion. In fact, I'm sure Klan members would hold up the bloody Confederate flag as proof of their sincerity. They had ancestors who died defending slavery. (That's actually slightly different since it was a war and a lot of the Confederate soldiers were probably good people fighting for an evil cause. But they still had to die.) I think "someone died for doing something evil" counts as something we can all feel good about.

It's completely crazy to me that being dead means I should automatically show reverence to a person, no matter how evil they were. If Hitler had a grave, I'd literally take a piss on it (although I imagine there'd be quite a waiting line..)

• ♿ (Parody)

@nonpartisan said:

My impression of a Klan "rally" meant, as I said, torches and guns, ready to attack. Your impression may be different. If Morbs meant a peaceful gathering in a clubhouse deciding what color doilies they would sell for Christmas, fine. They have a right to peacefully assemble and I'll do nothing to interfere with that.

OK, so deliberate misunderstanding on your part. Fair enough. I'll consider morbs' point conceded then.

• @blakeyrat said:

But wait, don't you live in a country where the government is stealing all of Hitler's "cult-of-personality" tactics?

Cory Glover is running some third-world country now?

• @morbiuswilters said:

It's completely crazy to me that being dead means I should automatically show reverence to a person, no matter how evil they were.

Why would you show anything? They are dead

@morbiuswilters said:

I'd literally take a piss on it

Americans pissing on graves and memorials... there is no way that could go wrong.
    @blakeyrat said:
    But wait, don't you live in a country where the government is stealing all of Hitler's "cult-of-personality" tactics

Way older than Hitler

• @morbiuswilters said:

@nonpartisan said:

How do people end up as twisted as you?

Right back at you . . .@morbiuswilters said:
    @nonpartisan said:
    Human decency and good taste says you never do that.

Soo.. respecting murderers is human decency and good taste? How did you parents fail so horribly?

Never have I said I respect murderers.  What scares me is that you don't recognize that there are other family members who are collateral damage.  They're the one's I'm thinking of.

• @boomzilla said:

@nonpartisan said:

OK, so deliberate misunderstanding on your part. Fair enough. I'll consider morbs' point conceded then.

Now you got it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@nonpartisan said:
    Ever seen people get released after 30+ years in jail because DNA evidence proves they were innocent?

Jail sentences receive far, far, far less scrutiny than death sentences.

@nonpartisan said:

Ever seen people executed and later it's announced "Oops, we made a mistake, he/she wasn't the guilty party"?

Not in, like, the last 40 years.

Care to reconsider your opinion?

Cases listed from 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997.  Yes, I do accept your apology.

@morbiuswilters said:

So in your mind, it's okay for society to kill these people, but not for anyone to actually be happy about it.
    Why should society be happy about ever having to put one of its own to death?

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

@nonpartisan said:

Never have I said I respect murderers.  What scares me is that you don't recognize that there are other family members who are collateral damage.  They're the one's I'm thinking of.

The point is that these people are doing that to the victims of their executed family member. Yeah, it sucks for them, because they lost a family member, but it's incredibly poor taste to publicly ask for people to feel sorry for the murderer.

When I see stuff like a parent's (adult / young adult) child being convicted of something, being a parent, I can empathize with what they're going through. They obviously still love their child, but that doesn't mean that we should all mourn the fact that the perpetrator is being executed or imprisoned. It may be poor taste to do whatever it was that morbs actually did, but that doesn't make him wrong. And the memorial itself is in poorer taste than mockery of the memorial.

• @nonpartisan said:

What scares me is that you don't recognize that there are other family members who are collateral damage.  They're the one's I'm thinking of.

But I do. I realize that they are likely traumatized by things and that losing someone you are close to is hard. That doesn't mean I'm going to let them excuse and justify his crimes. I'm not saying they shouldn't be sad or even have a small funeral for him, but this was far beyond that. They were trying to turn him into some victim, some really great kid who was murdered, which is nauseating historical revisionism. (Besides, as I said this was mostly stupid hippies and not his direct family.) Going back to the Hitler example: I understand that maybe some people who were close to him are going to have personal attachments that made his death painful. That's life and I accept it. What I don't accept is letting that personal connection overwhelm any sense of human decency, leading to one trying to diminish or justify his crimes, which is what they were doing.

What's interesting to me is that you apparently aren't particularly bothered by the fact that by creating a memorial to this murderer they were dishonoring the family of the man he murdered in cold blood. So in your mind it's wrong to deface a memorial to a murderer because it would cause emotional distress and is indecent, but it's okay for that same memorial to inflict emotional distress on the family of his victim.

I shouldn't be surprised, though, that's how it is with you people; you spill every last tear for this human filth out of some holier-than-thou sense of "compassion" and have none left for his victims. In my mind the feelings of his victims matter far more than the feelings of his wretched, murder-justifying family.

• @boomzilla said:

@nonpartisan said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

The point is that these people are doing that to the victims of their executed family member. Yeah, it sucks for them, because they lost a family member, but it's incredibly poor taste to publicly ask for people to feel sorry for the murderer.

Fixed the attributions . . .

But if you go back and look, that's why I said I don't see a problem with a small memorial on private land.  And I don't believe Morbs or anyone else should feel entitled to deface it.

@boomzilla said:

It may be poor taste to do whatever it was that morbs actually did, but that doesn't make him wrong.
    Yes, it does.  Leave the family in peace. Morbs was not injured by Troy Davis.  He has no stake in the case.  It was inexcusable for him to go and troll a site like that for the express purpose of adding no value and just to upset everyone there for his entertainment.

• @nonpartisan said:

Care to reconsider your opinion?

Cases listed from 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997.  Yes, I do accept your apology.

Utter fucking bullshit propaganda spread by anti-DP extremists, and you know it. They can't even bring themselves to say those people were guilty, just that they "may have been innocent". Bull-fucking-shit.

@nonpartisan said:

Why should society be happy about ever having to put one of its own to death?

I'm not happy that they forced society to put them down, but I'm happy they are no longer around to destroy lives. Are you intentionally being dense or are you so dumb you can't understand the distinction?

• @nonpartisan said:

But if you go back and look, that's why I said I don't see a problem with a small memorial on private land.

This wasn't a small, personal memorial on private land and you fucking know it. It was on Facebook, it was widely promoted. Hell, the murder-hugging hippies were all over the news networks and Twitter, standing in line to jerk off this inhuman piece of shit, competing to see who could sing his praises the loudest.

@nonpartisan said:

Morbs was not injured by Troy Davis.  He has no stake in the case.

Yes, I was and yes I do. A good man, a father, a husband and a police officer who was just trying to stop this human filth from brutally pistol-whipping a homeless man for fun was gunned down in cold blood. To say I don't have a stake when innocent people (guardians of the peace, no less) are murdered shows what a twisted sense of morality you have. Go back to lighting candles for all the other life-taking scum, you sick fuck.

By the way, the same day Davis was executed, Texas executed a white man who dragged a black man to death behind his truck. I don't remember anyone standing up for him (and they shouldn't have)--if I had seen a memorial to him, I would have done the same thing. I take a small amount of joy in knowing that if there is a Hell (and there almost certainly isn't) both he and Troy Davis are there together, forever.

• @morbiuswilters said:

To say I don't have a stake when innocent people (guardians of the peace, no less) are murdered shows what a twisted sense of morality you have.

Wait, you mourn every single innocent person dead? That doesn't seem plausible

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    To say I don't have a stake when innocent people (guardians of the peace, no less) are murdered shows what a twisted sense of morality you have.

Were you really trying to respond to morbs? That doesn't seem intelligible.

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

Are you being intentionally dense? That doesn't seem adequate

• @morbiuswilters said:

@nonpartisan said:
    But if you go back and look, that's why I said I don't see a problem with a small memorial on private land.

This wasn't a small, personal memorial on private land and you fucking know it. It was on Facebook, it was widely promoted. Hell, the murder-hugging hippies were all over the news networks and Twitter, standing in line to jerk off this inhuman piece of shit, competing to see who could sing his praises the loudest.

Don't switch contexts on me.  My answer about the memorial was after you brought up Hitler.  I never made any comment on the Facebook memorial, except to ask if it should automatically be classified as gaudy and that I'd never heard of it.

You know what?  I'm tired of this.  Here, let me pull out another example.  Let's talk about Portland Police Officer Thomas Jeffries.  He was involved in a foot chase with Antonio Hernandez who was accused of assaulting a 7 year old.  I was working an EMS radio and heard Ofcr. Jeffries' last radio transmission calling for backup after he got shot (may he rest in peace).  One of my medical crews tried valiantly to save him en route to the trauma center.

I don't know the status of Antonio Hernandez right now, nor do I particularly care.  If he's sentenced to death, gets executed, and his family gives up a public outcry, I'm not going to go pissing on a memorial, public or private.  It serves no purpose.  It doesn't help him.  It doesn't help his family.  It doesn't help Ofcr. Jeffries' family (whose wife was pregnant at the time).  It doesn't make me feel better -- I have to live with having heard that radio conversation and knowing the result for the rest of my life.  I don't care if they put up a Facebook page.  Did you ever consider that, however inappropriate it may be, that Troy Davis' family was in mourning and denial and just trying to work through it?  If I saw something like that from Antonio Hernandez' family, that's what I'd think, plus also that the uproar was going to die down soon enough.  And if anything, I have more of a stake in this one than you do in Davis' because I was there, live, as it happened.

So fuck you and what you think you know about me.  Because you just don't know shit.

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:
    @serguey123 said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

Are you being intentionally dense? That doesn't seem adequate

No, so I guess I was right. Or you left out the leap of logic that takes us from morbs "having a stake" in innocent people being murdered to him mourning each one's death. Which still makes your comment unintelligible, so either way I was right.

• @boomzilla said:

No, so I guess I was right. Or you left out the leap of logic that takes us from morbs "having a stake" in innocent people being murdered to him mourning each one's death. Which still makes your comment unintelligible, so either way I was right.

Maybe, it made perfect sense in my head, which is not much but in my defense I'll say that is harder to stay coherent in a language that is not your own. However I think you got my point.

• @serguey123 said:

@morbiuswilters said:

No, and I never said I do. Just because it's impossible for me to mourn every single murdered innocent doesn't mean I don't have a stake in seeing that they aren't murdered. After all, why do you think society punishes murderers? I've never had someone close to me that was murdered so are you saying I shouldn't have a stake in seeing their killers punished?

• @nonpartisan said:

...I'm not going to go pissing on a memorial, public or private.

Well, that sounds like your personal problem, not mine.

@nonpartisan said:

It serves no purpose.  It doesn't help him.

Why would I want to help him? I want to do the precise opposite of helping him.

@nonpartisan said:

It doesn't help his family.

Maybe it helps them confront the reality of who he was, or maybe not. I consider his family victims of the crime, too, because he ruined their lives with his actions. But if his family were to start memorializing him as a good man, diminishing his crimes, then my sense of decency refuses to let that stand. I guess there are those who stand up to evil and ignorance and those who keep quiet because they're afraid of breaching decorum. We already know which you are, so stop belaboring the point.

@nonpartisan said:

It doesn't make me feel better -- I have to live with having heard that radio conversation and knowing the result for the rest of my life.

Yeah, I think it might give me some feeling that I did something worthwhile.

@nonpartisan said:

Did you ever consider that, however inappropriate it may be, that Troy Davis' family was in mourning and denial and just trying to work through it?

Possibly, although they had many years to come to terms with it. It seems more likely they were in denial because it was what made them feel good. It sucks their kid turned out to be a murderer, but I don't think it helps the world to let them live a lie. It's probably uncomfortable for Germans and Japanese to hear about the atrocities committed by their countrymen, but it's the right thing to do.

@nonpartisan said:

So fuck you and what you think you know about me.  Because you just don't know shit.

Look, I'm sorry you went through that tragedy (and I never said that you hadn't) but that hardly makes you some final authority on moral issues.

This conversation is boring. It's obvious neither of us is going to change our minds and we never were. It's like a monkey fucking a football--it's frustrating for the monkey and the football don't like it either. (You can be the monkey or the football in that analogy, whichever you prefer.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

Maybe, it made perfect sense in my head, which is not much but in my defense I'll say that is harder to stay coherent in a language that is not your own. However I think you got my point.

What language is your own? The only point I got from you was that you didn't understand what morbs said.

• :belt_onion:

@morbiuswilters said:

This conversation is boring.

QFT.

• @morbiuswilters said:

But if his family were to start memorializing him as a good man, diminishing his crimes, then my sense of decency refuses to let that stand

You goddamn amateur! You fed the trolls!

• @morbiuswilters said:

have a stake in seeing that they aren't murdered

What this entails exactly?
    @morbiuswilters said:
    why do you think society punishes murderers?

Why indeed? I have a theory but would love to hear yours
    @morbiuswilters said:
    I've never had someone close to me that was murdered so are you saying I shouldn't have a stake in seeing their killers punished?

Depends on what you think your stakes are exactly

@boomzilla said:

What language is your own?

The one native to my country, aka not english
    @boomzilla said:
    The only point I got from you was that you didn't understand what morbs said.

Or that I failed at writing.

• As a tutor in the local community college computer lab, I saw a lot of that as well. But usually only from the remedial education / adult literacy / typing skills students .

Surprisingly, the only department which actually required you to take classes on how to use any part of MS office was the Information Technology department, where the major courses of study were either Software Development (maybe 15% of the students) or Network Administration (65%). (Yes, that's under 100% - some folks did both, some neither.) Even those students bitched, despite it being an easy GPA bump.

• @OzPeter said:

This showed me that there are severe limits to how much effort people will put into thinking about how they do their job. They'd rather take the manually intensive long way than exploring the more intelligent simple way.

Simple explanation is, they get paid by the hour and have no incentive to finish a task any faster than required to avoid reprimand. Ensuring simple tasks take as long as possible minimizes the total thought and effort expended each day. Destroys your mind and soul as well, but for many people those were a write off to begin with.

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

app startup takes only about half a minute, so that's just java average, and loading a project takes about another half a minute, but most of the dialog windows open in about 5-6 seconds, so there's definitely a huge improvement...I

That seems slow - times on my machine are half to quarter that. But it is a resource hog, in terms of ram.