The software circles of hell: Java, NetBeans, Maven, Tomcat, and about 50,000 vaguely-named Java libraries

• ♿ (Parody)

@jverd said:

Is it still a troll if he's both deliberately doing it for effect AND is actually stupid enough to believe the shit he posts? (If he doesn't believe it and is truly just yanking people's chains, my hat is off to him for his dedication to his craft.)

Reading blakeyrants is like listening to Ron Paul. He makes a lot of good points until the batshit craziness surfaces.

• @boomzilla said:

@jverd said:
    Is it still a troll if he's both deliberately doing it for effect AND is actually stupid enough to believe the shit he posts? (If he doesn't believe it and is truly just yanking people's chains, my hat is off to him for his dedication to his craft.)

Reading blakeyrants is like listening to Ron Paul. He makes a lot of good points until the batshit craziness surfaces.

Guess I'm late to the party then, or else I just suck at finding needles in haystacks.

•  Guys, relax. Dude's been put in the ultimate development environment:

• Windows
    • Non-admin account
    • UAC enabled

Is it any surprise he's so edgy? He probably clicks through 200 dialog boxes before Windows even lets his browser load. But, security theatre is better than nothing, I guess.

• @blakeyrat said:

@DaveK said:
    So. What's the project encoding set to?

Why should I have to care?

"Why you should have to care" is because computers aren't magic and
    they aren't psychic.  They do what you tell them, and if you or one of
    your cow-orkers has deliberately told them that the file is not UTF-8 but
    plain old ASCII with some high graphics chars in it, how the hell are
    they meant to know you're telling them wrong?  There's no way of knowing whether you wanted a lower-case acute 'e' or a capital 'A' with a tilde followed by a copyright sign unless you tell it.

@blakeyrat said:

@DaveK said:
    What's the file encoding defined as?

Why should I have to care?

What the bloody hell are you doing editing HTML if you don't understand it?  Encodings are a pretty basic part of how content is handled, you can't just pretend they don't exist.  Take a look at the headers at the top of YOUR file which YOU are editing.

@blakeyrat said:

@DaveK said:
    Let's be systematic about this, why don't we?

Ok.

Ok then, lets.  Investigate the problem, gather evidence, analyze it, diagnose the problem.  It's a scientific strategy that is far more likely to be effective than throwing your hands up in the air, and whingeing about how nothing works.  There may be a bug in Netbeans, or it may just be, as was the case with Tomcat, that the problem exists between your keyboard and chair.

• Blakey I'm curious - what does Notepad display? (Or VS, if you have access)

edit: For the record, I created a text file with various encodings, and then opened the file in notepad.  With notepad UTF-32 had spaces between the characters, but in Visual Studio it just worked.  I imagine this is what blakey expects.  Most things that deal with text files these days seem to have auto-detection for the file encoding.

• @Sutherlands said:

Blakey I'm curious - what does Notepad display? (Or VS, if you have access)

edit: For the record, I created a text file with various encodings, and then opened the file in notepad.  With notepad UTF-32 had spaces between the characters, but in Visual Studio it just worked.  I imagine this is what blakey expects.  Most things that deal with text files these days seem to have auto-detection for the file encoding.

It's a messy area. Between file encodings, which characters are actually used in a given file, what the system default encoding is, how the tool picks its default encoding, whether it tries to automatically figure out the encoding (which, as previously stated is often (usually?) not possible) or tries to at least figure out some encoding that can work (probably much simpler), it's hard to predict what to expect for a given file with a given tool. And of course, if one hasn't taken the time to understand the issues that are involved and learn what's in play in one's environment and how one's tool (snerk!) is designed to handle said context, one might very well end up in a self-righteous snit, providing merriment for all.

• @jverd said:

@Sutherlands said:

Blakey I'm curious - what does Notepad display? (Or VS, if you have access)

It's a messy area. Between file encodings, which characters are actually used in a given file, what the system default encoding is, how the tool picks its default encoding, whether it tries to automatically figure out the encoding (which, as previously stated is often (usually?) not possible) or tries to at least figure out some encoding that can work (probably much simpler), it's hard to predict what to expect for a given file with a given tool. And of course, if one hasn't taken the time to understand the issues that are involved and learn what's in play in one's environment and how one's tool (snerk!) is designed to handle said context, one might very well end up in a self-righteous snit, providing merriment for all.

He's pedantically expecting perfection, or he acts like he is.

Yesterday I had a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 that wouldn't print with gridlines, despite the fact that "Print" was checked under the Sheet option for Guidelines.  I also checked the gridline color and found it to be black (or something that should print).  Print Preview showed it with gridlines.  But when it came out, it didn't have lines on it.  This was a form that our telecom department needed to write on, so it needed to have the lines.

I was tempted to come here and spew a parody BlakeyRant® about how badly Excel sucks, how can Microsoft put out such shit software, that it ought to just work, etc.  But instead, I just did what I needed to do -- explicitly bordered everything that I needed to border and reprinted.  Lo and behold, it worked.  At some point, I may try to troubleshoot it.  Or I may not.  It might be a print driver issue.  Or it might not.  But whatever.  Personally, I wish I could type "comparison.csv" (just a random .CSV file on my H: drive right now) on the command line and have Excel interpret it as a CSV file.  It opens it, but it doesn't interpret it.  You still have to open a new spreadsheet, do the Data -> Get External Data From Text in order to have it process that.

But I'm not getting hypertensive and risking a stroke over it.

• @nonpartisan said:

Personally, I wish I could type "comparison.csv" (just a random .CSV file on my H: drive right now) on the command line and have Excel interpret it as a CSV file.  It opens it, but it doesn't interpret it.  You still have to open a new spreadsheet, do the Data -> Get External Data From Text in order to have it process that.

I created a text file with the following:

User name, Number of Posts, Posts about BS
    nonpartisan, 102, 102
    Sutherlands, 1000, 0

Start->run->C:\random.csv

Up comes excel with the representative text in appropriate columns.

• @Sutherlands said:

edit: For the record, I created a text file with various encodings, and then opened the file in notepad.  With notepad UTF-32 had spaces between the characters, but in Visual Studio it just worked.

I imagine that everyone uses a BOM for UTF-32, but UTF-8 isn't required to use a BOM and I don't think many non-MS tools do.

• @pjt33 said:

@Sutherlands said:

edit: For the record, I created a text file with various encodings, and then opened the file in notepad.  With notepad UTF-32 had spaces between the characters, but in Visual Studio it just worked.

I imagine that everyone uses a BOM for UTF-32, but UTF-8 isn't required to use a BOM and I don't think many non-MS tools do.
    It doesn't seem like it was a BOM issue - more that it was expecting probably UTF-8/16, so it saw all the "extra" characters as spaces.

• @Sutherlands said:

@nonpartisan said:

Personally, I wish I could type "comparison.csv" (just a random .CSV file on my H: drive right now) on the command line and have Excel interpret it as a CSV file.  It opens it, but it doesn't interpret it.  You still have to open a new spreadsheet, do the Data -> Get External Data From Text in order to have it process that.

I created a text file with the following:

User name, Number of Posts, Posts about BS
    nonpartisan, 102, 102
    Sutherlands, 1000, 0

Start->run->C:\random.csv

Up comes excel with the representative text in appropriate columns.

My file in question is actually tab-delimited.  It will detect that automatically and correctly break the data at the tabs without my changing anything in the wizard.  But when I run it from the command line, it won't break the data automatically.

But again, I'm not losing sleep over it.

• @Sutherlands said:

I absolutely abhored a library I worked with that had "OnFileNameChoosen"
    OnFileNameChoosen ... OnMouseClicken ... OnKeyPressen ...

I don't know, looks absolutely comulent to me. I think I may have found a new naming convention for events in my code :D

• @Anonymouse said:

@Sutherlands said:

I absolutely abhored a library I worked with that had "OnFileNameChoosen"
    OnFileNameChoosen ... OnMouseClicken ... OnKeyPressen ...

I don't know, looks absolutely comulent to me. I think I may have found a new naming convention for events in my code :D

I think it should be called "reverse Swedish notation".

On a related note, is the WDK still full of references to "pagable" code and data sections?  I don't want to pag my code, dammit!

• @nonpartisan said:

Yesterday I had a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 that wouldn't print with gridlines, despite the fact that "Print" was checked under the Sheet option for Guidelines.  I also checked the gridline color and found it to be black (or something that should print).  Print Preview showed it with gridlines.  But when it came out, it didn't have lines on it.  This was a form that our telecom department needed to write on, so it needed to have the lines.
    Hah, that reminded me of one of my first jobs - user was trying to print from Excel, but the printed sheet only had gridlines in a 3x3cm square at the top-left of the spreadsheet (they ended halfway through a cell), and no matter what we tried, they wouldn't print, even though Print Preview always showed them. I finally solved the problem by saving the spreadsheet as an Excel 95 file (this was when Excel 97 was new) and re-opening it - then the lines suddenly printed.

• @DaveK said:

On a related note, is the WDK still full of references to "pagable" code and data sections? I don't want to pag my code, dammit!

The verb "pag" would have cognate "paggable".

• @nonpartisan said:

.CSV file

@nonpartisan said:

My file in question is actually tab-delimited.

What is this I don't even

• @pjt33 said:

@DaveK said:

On a related note, is the WDK still full of references to "pagable" code and data sections? I don't want to pag my code, dammit!

The verb "pag" would have cognate "paggable".

Yes, that's why it's a typo for WDK to spell it "pagable"!

• @Sutherlands said:

@nonpartisan said:

.CSV file

@nonpartisan said:

My file in question is actually tab-delimited.

What is this I don't even

I've often heard people use "CSV" to refer to any data where fields are delimited by some specific character (rather than being of fixed width or structured in some way). When pressed they sometimes claim it stands for "character separated values".

• @Someone You Know said:

I've often heard people use "CSV" to refer to any data where fields are delimited by some specific character (rather than being of fixed width or structured in some way). When pressed they sometimes claim it stands for "character separated values".
    Excel still calls CSV files "Comma-separated value" in many European locales, but when you actually save to a CSV file, the result uses semicolons as separators, since most of continental Europe uses comma as a decimal separator.

• @ender said:

@Someone You Know said:
    Excel still calls CSV files "Comma-separated value" in many European locales, but when you actually save to a CSV file, the result uses semicolons as separators, since most of continental Europe uses comma as a decimal separator.

I've also heard of TSV (tab-separated values) files. It's cleaner because it uses a character that is much less likely to be used in the real report. But Excel doesn't automatically associate a TSV extension with itself.

• @nonpartisan said:

@ender said:
    @Someone You Know said:

I've also heard of TSV (tab-separated values) files. It's cleaner because it uses a character that is much less likely to be used in the real report. But Excel doesn't automatically associate a TSV extension with itself.

It doesn't associate it, but if you do "excel filename.tsv" (or drag/drop the file onto Excel icon or titlebar) and the file is tab-delimited, it imports it right.

Well, Excel 2003 did, I think I didn't try since the upgrade to 2007 few months ago (yes... corporate...)

• @nonpartisan said:

@ender said:
    @Someone You Know said:
    People should just call it "SSV", Separator-Separated Values. Or VSBASWMBACOSEE (Values Separated By A Separator Which Might Be A Comma Or Something Else Entirely)

• @Anonymouse said:

@nonpartisan said:

@ender said:
    @Someone You Know said:
    People should just call it "SSV", Separator-Separated Values. Or VSBASWMBACOSEE (Values Separated By A Separator Which Might Be A Comma Or Something Else Entirely)

I prefer to use the ESV (Enigma Separated Value) system. The delimiter between each pair of fields is a different, seemingly random character. The proper pattern of delimiters can only be deduced if you know a secret key. Security!

• Nah, we just need UNA-style-headers a la EDIFACT format. The first line specifies which characters should be interpreted as which delineators. It's a pretty good idea.

•  BlakeyRat was real good at trolling back in day.

If all that he posted in 2011 Dec is true, then he is not qualified for programming job.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UGk9bUF.jpg[/IMG]

• @Power Troll said:

But, security theatre is better than nothing, I guess.

Security Theatre is my favorite program on PBS!

Sincerely,

Richard Nixon