The Daily WTF: Curious Perversions in Information Technology
Welcome to TDWTF Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!

Last post 11-06-2012 11:15 AM by bigdogdman. 125 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (126 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-21-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

Re: Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!

Locked Reply Contact
    RHuckster:

I said, "I was thinking the same thing, but to be honest, it's just as unusual to make your house LOOK like a store and a restaurant."

I was asked to leave the premises and never come back.

So... why did she have the sign up?
      <-  I couldn't make my shit work, so here's a Godzilla head.
  • 08-21-2011 5:06 PM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact
    blakeyrat:
    RHuckster:

I said, "I was thinking the same thing, but to be honest, it's just as unusual to make your house LOOK like a store and a restaurant."

That sounds like something that was done in one of those "We'll Remodel Your House For You With Your Favorite Obnoxious Theme" shows.
    I denounce myself for this post
  • 08-21-2011 5:09 PM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

blakeyrat:
    RHuckster:

She simply said that's her "thing" whatever that means. I think she was just a nutjob. Nutjobs don't always need reasons to do stuff.

• 08-21-2011 10:09 PM In reply to

• Zemm
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-26-2007
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 1,380

Locked Reply Contact

RHuckster:

blakeyrat:
    RHuckster:

She simply said that's her "thing" whatever that means. I think she was just a nutjob. Nutjobs don't always need reasons to do stuff.

You need to organise bus loads of people to visit her "restaurant", or better yet, the Antiques Roadshow!

Filed Under: Can you think of something that talks, other than a person?
  • 08-22-2011 10:10 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

The day connecting to a server port means you agree to anything that's not behind at least a click-through or other notice is the day I become a millionaire by putting an image in my sig, spamming evey web board in creation, and billing eveyone for accesss fees for loading the image.

• 08-22-2011 10:23 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact
    Sir Twist:

The day connecting to a server port means you agree to anything that's not behind at least a click-through or other notice is the day I become a millionaire by putting an image in my sig, spamming evey web board in creation, and billing eveyone for accesss fees for loading the image.

The issue of "agreement with the terms" aside, that doesn't change the fact that he was using the server by connecting to it.

His defense wasn't "I never agreed with the terms", it was "I never used the software." The former claim would be more believable.

• 08-22-2011 11:29 AM In reply to

• Xyro
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-10-2007
    • Location location = new EnterpriseLocatorFactory() .newLocator(Locale.US) .getLocationFacade(this, true) .getLocation();
    • Posts 1,715

Locked Reply Contact
    But he wasn't reverse-engineering the server. They claimed he was reverse-engineering the client. He claimed he never used the client. (Even if he used the server.)
    #!/usr/bin/perl

($_,@x,@y,$r,$o)=( "Xyro's signature!", 0xe4e10e9d0a4803ea, 0x92b0b7684cda510e,
    0x9d2a504b06a54c04, 0xb04804bca984dc0c, 0xea4889b4dadb1108, 0x90534665a4c79811)
    ;%_=map{$_,1}split//;%_=map{$o++,$_}sort keys%_;@x=map{sprintf'%x',$_}@x;for(@x
    ){$r.=$_{hex$_}for(split//)}$r=~s$Xa$xa$;$_=$r;s;(^|! )(\w+);$1\u\L$2;g;print#!
  • 08-22-2011 11:40 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact
    Xyro:
    But he wasn't reverse-engineering the server. They claimed he was reverse-engineering the client. He claimed he never used the client. (Even if he used the server.)
    Yes. Mostly, he was being an asshole, per his reputation. He hoped his defense of pedantic dickweedery would overrule Bitkeeper's terms for allowing them to use their stuff for free. Oops.
  • 08-22-2011 11:58 AM In reply to

• toth
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-23-2009
    • Posts 328

Locked Reply Contact
    I use it for Django development because I haven't come across a better one (and I don't want to pay for an IDE, because I'm really just playing around with Django). I haven't actually had any huge problems. It even has a pretty decent step-through debugger.
  • 08-22-2011 1:39 PM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact
    Helix:

blakeyrat:
    Helix:
    I read somewhere that a bit keeper user can terminal in on the BK port and from a text menu, request a clone of the repository.  As far as I understand it Tridge then pulled data out of the local repository file stream.
    Yes, but that's still using BitKeeper because the server is BitKeeper. He's either pulling some Bill Clinton shit and trying to redefine the word "use", or he's a liar.

That's what i thought too - maybe he got a friend to pull it off for him?

Kinky.
    "There's TWO continents called America.

RARE BLAKEYRAT PEDANTIC DICKWEED POST!" -BlakeyRat

"Java is the abstract base class that all WTFs like this inherit from. Java is like the java.lang.Object of the WTF world." - MorbiusWilters
  • 08-22-2011 4:00 PM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

Xyro:
    boomzilla:
    Xyro:
    Inigo Montoya:
    Aptana Studio uses the Java $HOME variable to place the default workspace location, which, by default, is wonky on Windows.
    Hmm, I don't know what $HOME variable he could be talking about.
    I suspect he meant that Java was using the $HOME environment variable. Which seems to be consistent with where blakey said stuff ended up. The other option would be $JAVA_HOME, but that doesn't really make sense, because it's meant to point to the location of the jdk, not anything about the user (maybe that's where your java.home and user.home come from).
    But there is no such $HOME environmental variable in Windows...

There may not be a $HOME variable, but windows has many equivalents.  Hey look at that -- %APPDATA% ---

Variable                                          Typical value (May vary, depending on system)
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%                  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    %APPDATA%                                 C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data
     %HOMEDRIVE%                              C:
    %HOMEPATH%                                \Documents and Settings\{username}
    %PROGRAMFILES%                       Directory containing program files, usually C:\Program Files
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%                          The drive containing the Windows XP root directory, usually C:
    %SYSTEMROOT%                           The Windows XP root directory, usually C:\Windows
    %TEMP% and %TMP%                     C:\DOCUME~1\{username}\LOCALS~1\Temp
    %USERNAME%                                {username}
    %USERPROFILE%                           C:\Documents and Settings\{username}
    %WINDIR%                                       C:\Windows >
    I > U
  • 08-22-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

boomzilla:
    blakeyrat:
    How does that work if the user is offline? Edit: Oh I missed "sync files". Hm.

Also, you've reached the limit of my knowledge on the subject, which was gained moments ago via google, and not being a sysadmin type, I'm not real familiar with any of it. If I had to guess, though, I'd say such a set up is probably very rare, if only because there probably aren't many substantial networks of linux computers where this would be important.

I also wonder how common roaming profiles really are in corporate networks. Especially as relates to how well that sort of thing scales vs the benefit. In a small lab where you never know which machine you might use it might make a lot of sense, but it seems like mostly you'd be using a single machine at your desk or whatever.

You're pretty much right, unless someone uses a third party roaming profile management instead of what's built in to windows/windows server in which case it's next to useless..  The environment variables will "point" to C, which will get synced to the network on the next valid connection (or log-off if you're on a valid connection).

And it aides in keeping backups of user data for non-roaming users, in case of spectacular hardware failure. The "Roaming" user can log into another desktop and, barring Software Installs or a 200 GB music library, work without noticing much difference.

Also, in an environment where the detection of a virus in a file transfer session locks the user out of the network/servers (such as when the infected desktop attempts to sync data), much hilarity and delight.

I > U
  • 12-13-2011 8:27 AM In reply to

• CrisW
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-21-2011
    • Posts 12

Locked Reply Contact
    blakeyrat:
    I got some flack about my tone on the third bug report
    I can't imagine why...
  • 12-13-2011 9:09 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact
    CrisW:
    blakeyrat:
    I got some flack about my tone on the third bug report
    I can't imagine why...
    That wittiness was well-worth reviving a thread from August.
  • 12-13-2011 11:35 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact
    blakeyrat:

Lovely. Wait... whoa... hold on doggies... D:\Users? That's not where my profile is! My profile's on the C: drive, except for the Documents folder which is on M:. (Or I'd accept \\main.corp\docs.) Oh, and it's not named "My Documents", just "Documents." Where the holy fuck did Aptana get this path from? Wrong, Aptana! Wrong wrong wrong!!!

(Actually I can kind of guess. Roaming data on our network configuration is kept in D:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Roaming... my guess is that Aptana asked the OS for the Roaming data folder, then ass-pulled relative paths from it. That's just a guess.)

Ok, so it writes bullshit into my D: drive, let's take a look at what it put in there:

We all got caught up in side issues, but did you try: File -> Switch Workspace -> Other. Then browse to where you want it to store your workspace, and tell it to use that place.
  • 12-13-2011 4:21 PM In reply to

• PJH
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Newcastle, UK
    • Posts 3,908

Locked Reply Contact
    boomzilla:
    blakeyrat:

Lovely. Wait... whoa... hold on doggies... D:\Users? That's not where my profile is! My profile's on the C: drive, except for the Documents folder which is on M:. (Or I'd accept \\main.corp\docs.) Oh, and it's not named "My Documents", just "Documents." Where the holy fuck did Aptana get this path from? Wrong, Aptana! Wrong wrong wrong!!!

(Actually I can kind of guess. Roaming data on our network configuration is kept in D:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Roaming... my guess is that Aptana asked the OS for the Roaming data folder, then ass-pulled relative paths from it. That's just a guess.)

Ok, so it writes bullshit into my D: drive, let's take a look at what it put in there:

We all got caught up in side issues, but did you try: File -> Switch Workspace -> Other. Then browse to where you want it to store your workspace, and tell it to use that place.

But does File->Print work?
    "Because you watched 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar,' we recommend 'The Human Centipede.'"
    --
    UED - Countryside: To kill Piers Morgan
  • Parp!
  • 12-14-2011 8:59 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

frits:

blakeyrat:
    The question is, "if Git is so important to you, why didn't you just install it yourself?"

This user guide to installing Git on Windows might give you some insight into why they don't automatically install it: http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/

Note the combination of setup wizard, SSH key generation, and terminal jokeying.

Sorry, that's bogus. Installing Git only requires running the installer. The two other steps make git able to use the account you (may) have set up at github. Presumably Aptana Studio does not require a github account for working.

• 12-14-2011 11:34 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

Good thing this thread got necro'd so we can add spam and useless posts to it.

• 12-14-2011 2:05 PM In reply to

• jverd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2006
    • Posts 55

Locked Reply Contact
    RHuckster:
    But, anyways, that's probably one of the only times I'd think "I didn't know that." excuse would truly be considered in court. Luckily, I didn't see if it would work because she didn't call the cops on me.

I think that's referred to as the "reasonable man" criteria in legal contexts in the U.S. As in "Would a reasonable man be expected to know that it was a private residence, or could a reasonable man think the store/restaurant trappings were for real?" Of course, the question of what a "reasonable man" would do is not cut and dried, but that's why we have judges and juries and appeals courts and precedents and the first cut rule: "The opposite of what blakey would do."
  • 12-14-2011 2:20 PM In reply to

• jverd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2006
    • Posts 55

Locked Reply Contact
    blakeyrat:

Oh: "Aptana Studio uses the Java $HOME variable to place the default workspace location, which, by default, is wonky on Windows."

So not only is Java buggy, it's CONCEPTUALLY FLAWED. There's no such thing as a single "home location" on Windows; AppData, Roaming AppData, Documents, all have their own locations which may or may not even be on the same drive. That's like DOM, which assumes a computer can only ever have a single monitor... it's flawed in concept, so there's no way the execution can be bug-free. Cripes.

So, let's see here...

Some OSes have a notion of a single per-user "home" directory, into which user-specific configurations and caches and whatnot are typically stored. Some do not have a single such location, but have a handful of common locations that serve similar purposes. The core Java API provides a convenience property that exposes some reasonable version of a home directory in a platform-appropriate manner. Some software written by some developer in Java chooses to use this feature as a default in a way that isn't appropriate on some systems, or that you personally don't like, and therefore, Java is "conceptually flawed."

I guess hammers are conceptually flawed too, because I've seen a lot of stuff that I don't like that was built using hammers.

• 12-14-2011 3:43 PM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to a brick wall?

• 12-14-2011 3:52 PM In reply to

• jverd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2006
    • Posts 55

Locked Reply Contact
    Sutherlands:

Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to a brick wall?

I have teenage kids and an ex-wife. I'm well and truly used to it. :-)
  • 12-15-2011 4:32 AM In reply to

• JvdL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-26-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 212

Locked Reply Contact

UNIX:
    Everything is a file

The UNIX and Linux crowd live by this dogma and apply it to the whole world.

Blakeyrat is a file called $home. If he doesn't want to be a file, he doesn't exist.

It's all Window's fault that it doesn't accept this dogma.

• 12-15-2011 4:38 AM In reply to

• jverd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2006
    • Posts 55

Locked Reply Contact
    JvdL:

UNIX:
    Everything is a file

The UNIX and Linux crowd live by this dogma and apply it to the whole world.

Blakeyrat is a file called $home. If he doesn't want to be a file, he doesn't exist.

It's all Window's fault that it doesn't accept this dogma.

Whatever you're smokin' son, pass it on down! I wanna see me some green pinstriped flyin' buffalo too!
  • 12-15-2011 7:19 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

blakeyrat:
    I hate how "open source" is code for "we do not give a shit at all".

Sometimes it's really "I gave a shit 3 years ago when I had a great idea I couldn't follow through on" or "Someday someone else will take over this project and again, briefly, give a shit".

• 11-06-2012 11:15 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

Aw, man! That really sucks...I was hoping you'd had at least an opportunity to see what it can (and more importantly cannot) do, as that's how I found this thread in the first place...trying to find if Aptana could copy a file path from within a project, either from the project explorer, or ANYWHERE ELSE...

So okay. Not the biggest fan of MS, but at least they got one thing right: Click in the address bar in Explorer and you can select (and subsequently COPY&PASTE) the current dirpath. I needed a quick copy&paste of that path to tell another dev where a particular file was, that I found using Aptanta's file search. Ordinarily no big deal, right?

Well, after having dealt with the install "issues" of Aptana multiple times, before having read this post, I'd gotten used to it. I guess I'm just abunantly forgiving when it comes to installs...in any case, there have been...let's just say an exponentially increasing number of WTF!? moments the more I learn the intricacies of navigating Aptana's preferences...

Having said that, Aptana Studio 3 is far superior (can't remember if the install improved, unfortunately) to Aptana Studio 2, and the reason I continue to use it to this day is because of Just that: The file search. It is the fastest, most regex-complete search I've *ever* found.

Having said That...they really jacked up the regex search&replace with their last few updates, as far as the inline search goes(as opposed to the popup search window).

So overall, my confidence in Aptana is beginning to teeter, to say the least...

Page 3 of 3 (126 items) < Previous 1 2 3