Here's a shocker: Eclipse-based Aptana Studio sucks shit!

• Wow. I just downloaded Aptana Studio after getting pissed at Visual Studio's kind-of-crummy JavaScript intellisense support, and... well, let me just say it's a piece of crap. And I've yet to see a single product based on Eclipse that isn't.

So we start with the installation. I tell the installer to make an entry on my Start menu, so what does it do? This:

For some strange reason, the entry isn't under "Aptana" and doesn't even say "Aptana" on it. It's under "Appcelerator." What the fuck is that? The Aptana website doesn't even slightly mention "Appcelerator!" (Oh wait, it shows up in the copyright notice in extremely tiny text at the very bottom of the page. Obviously that should have been my hint to look under "Appcelerator" to run the software I just freakin' installed.) It took me probably 45 seconds to find the goddamned thing in my Start menu.

It's also worth noting that however Aptana installs its Start menu folder, it somehow manages to break Windows 7's "new application" highlight, which would have compensated for their retarded folder name.

Now that I've found the program, let's start it! We're presented with this:

Oh well that makes-- wait wha...? Let's unravel that Love And Peace-sized error message:

* Aptana needs Git for its "scripting and terminal features" to function. What are those features? Do I need to use those features? Do I even want those features in the first place? Who fucking knows.

* You can download Git from some URL. Uh... ok? Nice that you provided a LINK for me to click-- oh wait you didn't. Well at least I can copy-and-paste the UR-- oh wait I can't.

* And the classic we've seen in so many other WTF programs: this error message basically translates to "we can fix this problem in a quick and automatic way, but instead of just fucking doing that and not bothering you we've decided to show you a huge confusing error message instead!" Gee thanks.

Oh, and while I was trying to figure out which button to press, I got this lovely consolation prize:

Lovely. Wait... whoa... hold on doggies... D:\Users? That's not where my profile is! My profile's on the C: drive, except for the Documents folder which is on M:. (Or I'd accept \\main.corp\docs.) Oh, and it's not named "My Documents", just "Documents." Where the holy fuck did Aptana get this path from? Wrong, Aptana! Wrong wrong wrong!!!

(Actually I can kind of guess. Roaming data on our network configuration is kept in D:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Roaming... my guess is that Aptana asked the OS for the Roaming data folder, then ass-pulled relative paths from it. That's just a guess.)

Ok, so it writes bullshit into my D: drive, let's take a look at what it put in there:

Note that every folder in here except AppData, Desktop and Favorites is crap spewed from Aptana.

.eclipse? Wrong way of making files invisible. File shouldn't be invisible on its own anyway, it should be in AppData/Roaming, which is invisible. Wrong.

My Documents? Wrong folder name, it's called just "Documents" on my OS. Wrong location, it should be on the M: drive. Contains a folder called "Aptana Studio 3 Workspace" which isn't a document, and definitely isn't one of MY documents; that folder should go in AppData as well.

workspace? But wait, didn't you put the workspace in "My Documents"? Why do I need TWO workspaces? Note that this folder contains an empty project called "TestProject" for no reason... I certainly didn't create it.

Last but more amusing: Aptana Rubles? What. The. Fuck. (It's empty, BTW.)

What a piece of shit. Well let's ignore that and go ahead and install "PortableGit":

Ok! And our journey is complete!

Fucking Christ. Why does anybody use Eclipse? Why does anybody think Eclipse is a good basis for their own IDE? What the fuck is wrong with those people?

What a piece of shit. All of these errors came up before I even got the chance to open a single .js file for editing. What a positive first-run experience.

• Wow, that's pretty excellent work, blakey. Good WTFs, too. If it's worth anything to you, I use NetBeans for most all of my development that requires an IDE. Its Javascript editor is pretty good, as far as I use it. Yes, it's more Java on you, although I'd be interested in seeing your reaction to it.

• I've used Netbeans for Java stuff as well, and I like it way more than Eclipse.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Fucking Christ. Why does anybody use Eclipse? Why does anybody think Eclipse is a good basis for their own IDE? What the fuck is wrong with those people?

I use it all the time for Java. Seems to work pretty well as a java IDE. I've seen some 3rd party extensions or whatever that are basically an IDE for some 3rd party stuff that work pretty well with it, but I haven't used them that much. I definitely haven't seen WTFs like this. Sounds like Aptana has a ways to go. The git integration seems weird if you're not using git for SCM. That seems like TRWTF.

•  <font><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A little surgery on the brain will remove these stupid emotions and still allow us to make use of his inventive skills </font></font>

• I enjoy your posts very much, Blakey.  I think you could write for the main page.

• @blakeyrat said:

"Git Installation Not Found" error presented when there is an obvious fix

I got some flack about my tone on the third bug report, because of course it's "open source" and therefore nobody's allowed to complain about its shittiness ever. Also I'm "welcome to contribute" because obviously entering bugs isn't considered "contributing." (Unless you ask, "how do I contribute without writing code?" to which the answer is always "enter bugs.") Of course I can't contribute anyway because as long as the paths are busted I can't even run the fucking thing.

But you know what? Yeah my tone was negative. I hate stupid software. I hate whoever decided to ship this product in its current busted-ass shape. I hate how "open source" is code for "we do not give a shit at all".

Oh: "Aptana Studio uses the Java $HOME variable to place the default workspace location, which, by default, is wonky on Windows."

So not only is Java buggy, it's CONCEPTUALLY FLAWED. There's no such thing as a single "home location" on Windows; AppData, Roaming AppData, Documents, all have their own locations which may or may not even be on the same drive. That's like DOM, which assumes a computer can only ever have a single monitor... it's flawed in concept, so there's no way the execution can be bug-free. Cripes.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm only a good writer when I'm enraged by crappy software.

• If you want to use Ruby on Rails I'd rather recommend RubyMine. Way better than Aptana and totally worth the money.

• Having horrible Windows installers that give a shit about conventions or multi-user systems is, unfortunately, quite common.

Blender, GNU R, Metasploit Framework, Miranda are all quite good applications, but neither one can successfully be installed in a Windows multi-user environment (not even on WinXP).

I used to report quite a lot of bugs with Blender about that a few years ago, but got the impression they did not care - but maybe it changed, but I don't believe it.

Having User A store its profile data in User B's profile folder (just because user B happened to be the user who initially installed the program) was really creeping me out. You have to spend a considerable time of registry tweaking to fix this manually - for each user that wants to use it...

Interestingly, they *can* care about conventions on Linux based systems, so I guess it is more the fault of the installer makers.

(On the other hand, OpenOffice.org behaves/behaved badly on Linux by cluttering the home dir with non hidden profile files by default, which are *copied* (not linked) for each user, even if /home is on the same physical disk. Here they cared more about Windows conventions).

I guess, YGWYPF (not that installers of commercial vendors are always better, of course).

• @Rhywden said:

If you want to use Ruby on Rails I'd rather recommend RubyMine. Way better than Aptana and totally worth the money.

And if you want great corn dogs, I recommend the Evergreen State Fair in ... oh wait nobody mentioned corn dogs.

(Or Ruby. If you didn't get the hint there.)

• @Inigo Montoya said:

Aptana Studio uses the Java $HOME variable to place the default workspace location, which, by default, is wonky on Windows.

Hmm, I don't know what $HOME variable he could be talking about. There's a "user.home" global System property, but nothing that would tell the application about a Documents folder or any other special platform-specific directory other than home and temp. (There's also a "java.home" property, but that just points to the installation base.) Perhaps he is confused.

[i]Edit[/i]: Now that I think about it, those locations are all available in environmental variables, aren't they? In which case, his code should just be reading System.getenv("APPDATA"); and whatever the Documents one is called and there'd be no problem. Hm.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Rhywden said:
    If you want to use Ruby on Rails I'd rather recommend RubyMine. Way better than Aptana and totally worth the money.

And if you want great corn dogs, I recommend the Evergreen State Fair in ... oh wait nobody mentioned corn dogs.

(Or Ruby. If you didn't get the hint there.)

Well, Aptana is one of few editors with Ruby capabilities.
    However, RubyMine's tooltip capabilities (nor the debugger) are not limited to Ruby and work for Javascript as well.

If you're that hostile to anyone posting something you don't like on this board, I wonder why no one has kicked you out of it yet.

• @Rhywden said:

However, RubyMine's tooltip capabilities (nor the debugger) are not limited to Ruby and work for Javascript as well.

The only language mentioned in this thread was JavaScript. If you had pointed out that RubyMine does JavaScript in the first place, I probably wouldn't have jumped at you like that. As it was, it just looked like you wanted to pitch your favorite product without considering whether or not it solved my problem.

@Rhywden said:

If you're that hostile to anyone posting something you don't like on this board, I wonder why no one has kicked you out of it yet.

I apologize, I have residual Aptana anger.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Xyro said:

@Inigo Montoya said:
    Aptana Studio uses the Java $HOME variable to place the default workspace location, which, by default, is wonky on Windows.

Hmm, I don't know what $HOME variable he could be talking about.

I suspect he meant that Java was using the $HOME environment variable. Which seems to be consistent with where blakey said stuff ended up. The other option would be $JAVA_HOME, but that doesn't really make sense, because it's meant to point to the location of the jdk, not anything about the user (maybe that's where your java.home and user.home come from).

• @boomzilla said:

@Xyro said:
    @Inigo Montoya said:

I suspect he meant that Java was using the $HOME environment variable. Which seems to be consistent with where blakey said stuff ended up. The other option would be $JAVA_HOME, but that doesn't really make sense, because it's meant to point to the location of the jdk, not anything about the user (maybe that's where your java.home and user.home come from).

But there is no such $HOME environmental variable in Windows...

• @Xyro said:

If it's worth anything to you, I use NetBeans for most all of my development that requires an IDE. Its Javascript editor is pretty good, as far as I use it.

I can't even work out how to download it. None of those options mention JavaScript. I guess I just download the "all" version? But then I get servers I already know I don't want. Ugh.

• Okay, I can accept that. Maybe you could give RubyMine a try? It's free for a 30 days.
    Don't know how it behaves without a Ruby/Rails installation, though.

But certainly nothing annoying as those Eclipse popups, I usually get only a floating message window for 10 seconds or so if it can't find some requirements or other.

As for Netbeans, you should go for the PHP version. Usually that's the one with HTML/CSS/JavaScript-Support.

• OK, quick and dirty NetBeans review:

* I downloaded the PHP version
    * Where ever the hell Aptana is getting its wrong-ass paths from, Netbeans is using the same wrong-ass paths. Right here, that's a deal-breaker (but let's keep going)
    * There's a mysterious red line down the middle of the window.... why? Also WTF?
    * There's a bar to the right of the scroll bar which contains mysterious orange blobs. Clicking an orange blob takes me to a line of code with a message on the left, signified by a yellow lightbulb. The message is "code has no side effects." Uh... thanks? Also WTF? But not having the scrollbar on the right destroys my muscle-memory and is another deal-breaker.
    * "Print to HTML"... seriously? The word "Export" or "Save" doesn't exist in their little world?
    * Setting the font to Consolas 14pt doesn't actually set it to 14pt. It looks like the size is hard-coded to 12pt, even though it lets you "change" it. Deal-breaker, I can't read this tiny text comfortably.

So far, NetBeans is way ahead of Aptana. But still has too many deal-breakers for me to use. I'm not all that demanding, am I?

•  @blakeyrat said:

For some strange reason, the entry isn't under "Aptana" and doesn't even say "Aptana" on it. It's under "Appcelerator." What the fuck is that? The Aptana website doesn't even slightly mention "Appcelerator!" (Oh wait, it shows up in the copyright notice in extremely tiny text at the very bottom of the page. Obviously that should have been my hint to look under "Appcelerator" to run the software I just freakin' installed.) It took me probably 45 seconds to find the goddamned thing in my Start menu.

It's also worth noting that however Aptana installs its Start menu folder, it somehow manages to break Windows 7's "new application" highlight, which would have compensated for their retarded folder name.

Yes that's something that has bothered me for ages, every since I first started using Windows. Why the hell do people think that using a Start menu entry with the name of the company who made the product is handy? With games I used to have this a lot. I would install a game, and then I would somehow have to look into 10 different Start menu enties (1 for each publisher, and then some) to see which of them published that particular game. And Electronic Arts was the best of them, I swear to God and Allah combined, they were just trolling the crap out of everyone. Each game used a different name, "Electronic Arts", "EA Games", "EA Sports", "EA Sports (c)tm", etc. Fuckity fuck man. That's one thing they can learn from Linux, just put it in a category, because that's what people understand. "Games", "Development", "Office", whatever. And if you need multiple entries, just put it in Games, My Little Pony, not Games, EA Sports, Fun Games For Kids, My Little Pony Productions, My Little Pony. But I guess they would still disagree on how to call it, and one would call it "Games", another "My Games", and yet another Entertainment, Games, etc. (that's how it went with save games, my Documents folder is littered with 6 different "standard" directories for save games).

Anyhow, it's pretty much a WTF you spent 45 seconds on finding it, since Windows Vista introduced this search box in the Start menu (which is also present in your screenshot). I actually rarely even go into All programs any more, especially since I now have an SSD, the results are just instant.

@boomzilla said:

@blakeyrat said:

I use it all the time for Java. Seems to work pretty well as a java
    IDE. I've seen some 3rd party extensions or whatever that are basically
    an IDE for some 3rd party stuff that work pretty well with it, but I
    haven't used them that much. I definitely haven't seen WTFs like this.
    Sounds like Aptana has a ways to go. The git integration seems weird
    if you're not using git for SCM. That seems like TRWTF.

I like Eclipse for Android development. :) It's not entirely too bad. I've noticed that most programs based on Eclipse are far worse than Eclipse itself though. On the other hand, I've recently started using IntelliJ IDEA for other Java development, so I might look into that for Android as well. But that's offtopic.

PS. I recall from some time ago that your tone used to be similar, but if anyone criticised you, you would smite them now... lately I've seen you apologise a lot, I think that's nice.

• Have you tried Chrome developer tools?

Personally I'm using VS2010, and it works quite well for me.  Although I'm probably not doing quite as much heavy-duty JS as you are...

EDIT: looks like they've discontinued support for Aptana...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/209126/good-javascript-ide-with-jquery-support

• ♿ (Parody)

@Xyro said:

@boomzilla said:
    @Xyro said:
    @Inigo Montoya said:

But there is no such $HOME environmental variable in Windows...

Oh, right, it's broken out into 2 separate variables: %HOMEDRIVE% and %HOMEPATH%.

• @James Schend said:

It's Java™. It's the end-all-be-all of cross-platform holiness. </sarcasm>. If you really want some fun, try FlexBuilder from Adobe, or Zend Studio from Zend. They are both built on Eclipse as well. I've never used FlexBuilder, but I use Zend Studio all of the time, and I must say that if I personally had to pay the hundreds of dollars to license this software, with the current level lack of quality and support, I'd be as pissed off as you are. For whatever it may (or may not) be worth: at least Aptana hasn't cost you a dime (just trying to be a little optimistic).

Funny story: I can't speak for Aptana Studio, but Zend Studio's launcher provides no switches for Java Garbage Collection, and when doing some project-wide searching using regex, I constantly get crashes - I'm talking about the non-error-producing, nothing-in-the-error-logs, app-just-closed crashes. For shits and giggles I googled some garbage collection flags, put them in the launcher, and magically my crashing problem is almost non-existent now.

Another Funny Story: You went through the trouble of redacting your identity from your screenshots, but signed up on Apatana's Jira using your real name (at least, that's my assumption). Just sayin'.

• @dohpaz42 said:

Another Funny Story: You went through the trouble of redacting your identity from your screenshots, but signed up on Apatana's Jira using your real name (at least, that's my assumption). Just sayin'.

The polite thing for me is to provide my real name to their bug tracker when asked. The polite thing for you would have been to quietly ignore that. Etiquette is indeed dead.

Not that it's ever been hard to link my handle here to my real name, but that doesn't mean you say so.

Aptana has decided that the "best" solution is to prompt the user for their profile location on first run! Cripes. They just do not care, do they. At all.

Edit: Oh look I found the Java bug entry for this issue: http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4787931. It's been broken since 2002.

• Sorry, spamming up my own thread.

Addendum to Netbeans review:

As mentioned, Netbeans wrote trash files in the same (wrong) location as Aptana. I deleted those files, then later decided to uninstall Netbeans altogether. The uninstaller complains that there's a missing value in the Registry (lie), and refuses to uninstall... it took me ages and a lot of Googling to learn that when Netbeans says "Registry" what they mean is ".nbi folder in your user profile". Because I deleted my .nbi folder, it couldn't figure out what products were installed, and thus failed to uninstall anything. Christ.

The solution was to manually toss the Program Files/Netbeans folder into the trash, the re-install Netbeans (which rewrites the .nbi folder), then immediately uninstall Netbeans.

I'm no longer going to consider any JavaScript IDE written in Java. (Or any other application regardless of type.)

• As another addendum: I just discovered that Jetbrains (the makers of RubyMine) also have an IDE purely for HTML/Javascript/CSS: http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

• [quote = blakeyrat] And the classic we've seen in so many other WTF programs: this error message basically translates to "we can fix this problem in a quick and automatic way, but instead of just doing that and not bothering you we've decided to show you a huge confusing error message instead!" Gee thanks.[\quote]

I cannot really understand this. For me, and I think most other technically minded people, it seems more like "We can do this with an ugly hack that really doesn't work well, or you can do it right, and here is the instructions, Which would you rather?"

The other option is to ditch the ugly hack, and die with a "git not installed!" error. Personally, I'd prefer the current option.

You also seem to argue that the error message is too long, and then that it doesn't provide a long discussion on what the "Terminal and scripting" features are. This is what I call the 'Doctrine of Equivalent Complaints' - if you have equal people complaning that it's too long and too short, it's probably the right length. You seem to have both in one person!

Hey, it's a difference of opinion. But the start menu thing is just wrong.

• @robbak said:

I cannot really understand this. For me, and I think most other technically minded people, it seems more like "We can do this with an ugly hack that really doesn't work well, or you can do it right, and here is the instructions, Which would you rather?"

You're framing it wrong.

The question is, "if Git is so important to you, why didn't you just install it yourself?" I know for a fact Git has an open source license, and can be redistributed. (Well, Aptana would have to add a quick link to the source code on their website somewhere, but that's easy.) Aptana has an installation program, which I ran.

@robbak said:

You also seem to argue that the error message is too long, and then that it doesn't provide a long discussion on what the "Terminal and scripting" features are.

Well, off the top of my head, the error message could be short and provide a link to the full explanation. But you're right, taken literally, my complaint is a little self-contradictory. The real problem is that the error message is shown to the user at all, it's completely avoidable.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

The question is, "if Git is so important to you, why didn't you just install it yourself?" I know for a fact Git has an open source license, and can be redistributed. (Well, Aptana would have to add a quick link to the source code on their website somewhere, but that's easy.) Aptana has an installation program, which I ran.

I could see doing this, especially for a multi-platform program. I don't know how they attempted to detect the installation, but I suppose there might be good reasons to use your installed and configured version (though I still wonder what they're doing with it to begin with), rather than just installing other software. I'd probably go with having it install as part of my app, possibly using an external version if it exists. Still, I can see why you'd ask the user. They definitely could have handled the "go install it from here" bit better.

Aside from requiring git in the first place, I'd rate this at or near the bottom of the Aptana WTFs you've listed here. A quick search and glance at their site, and it looks like it's all about "git integration." Probably better to just use an existing Eclipse git plugin. I suppose that's what you'd do if you wanted to use svn or hg or bz or whatever.

• 🚽 Regular

Hey, Blakey, I'd love for you to look at the search functionality in Aptana. Just hit Ctrl+H (I think that's the default search) and enjoy!

• @RHuckster said:

Hey, Blakey, I'd love for you to look at the search functionality in Aptana. Just hit Ctrl+H (I think that's the default search) and enjoy!

I didn't even get to a functional code editor before giving up and uninstalling.

• @robbak said:

@blakeyrat said:

And the classic we've seen in so many other WTF programs: this error message basically translates to "we can fix this problem in a quick and automatic way, but instead of just doing that and not bothering you we've decided to show you a huge confusing error message instead!" Gee thanks.

The other option is to ditch the ugly hack, and die with a "git not installed!" error. Personally, I'd prefer the current option.

How about installing a portable copy of git during the install and then creating an options dialog that allows the user to configure the program to use another copy of git?

• @dohpaz42 said:

@James Schend said:

It's Java™. It's the end-all-be-all of cross-platform holiness. </sarcasm>. If you really want some fun, try FlexBuilder from Adobe, or Zend Studio from Zend. They are both built on Eclipse as well. I've never used FlexBuilder, but I use Zend Studio all of the time, and I must say that if I personally had to pay the hundreds of dollars to license this software, with the current level lack of quality and support, I'd be as pissed off as you are. For whatever it may (or may not) be worth: at least Aptana hasn't cost you a dime (just trying to be a little optimistic).

Don't ever try Flex Builder... it's the kind of dirty you just can't wash off. Damn I hate that application so much.

• @blakeyrat said:

* Aptana needs Git for its "scripting and terminal features" to function.

I always thought git was for version control...

@blakeyrat said:

.eclipse? Wrong way of making files invisible. File shouldn't be invisible on its own anyway, it should be in AppData/Roaming, which is invisible. Wrong.

I think they did that to keep project structures consistent between Linux and Windows so that (theoretically) you can just copy your source tree to another computer with a different OS and it would just work. (I'm probably talking outta my ass here, but there has to be some rational reason for doing it this way... right?) However, being too damn lazy to mark the .eclipse folder as hidden under Windows is plain inexcusable.

Thanks for taking the time to file those bugs, even though the guy you're corresponding to seems to be a dick. Bitching at you for posting to TDWTF when the product is, undeniably, a WTF... way to foster contribution there.

• @pbean said:

I like Eclipse for Android development. :) It's not entirely too bad.

After importing the project, you have to go to the menu, click "Fixup Project Properties" or somesuch, restart eclipse, rinse, repeat until it starts to work. There is no way to switch between building debug and nondebug variant (well, that's partly problem of the Android dev tools). If you want to get the code assist do something remotely useful for C++, you have to link all the include directories in the project. When you are finally satisfied with the project configuration, it corrupts the workspace, so you have to set it all up again. The settings that should be shared by the whole team are stored in workspace, so everybody has to key them in themselves. The settings that are supposed to be shareable (.project) contain absolute paths, so you have to fix things up manually before checking it in. Than it kind of works until you need to change those settings at which point you have to fix it up manually again. On, come on.

@pbean said:
    I've noticed that most programs based on Eclipse are far worse than Eclipse itself though.

... which includes the Android DevTools.

• @pbean said:

Don't ever try Flex Builder... it's the kind of dirty you just can't wash off. Damn I hate that application so much.

Flash Builder is better than plain Flash, though. At least it autocompletes stuff and automatically includes imports etc.

At least it's not AS2 - or shock! horror! AS1!

• @Rhywden said:

Okay, I can accept that. Maybe you could give RubyMine a try? It's free for a 30 days.
    Don't know how it behaves without a Ruby/Rails installation, though.

But certainly nothing annoying as those Eclipse popups, I usually get only a floating message window for 10 seconds or so if it can't find some requirements or other.

As for Netbeans, you should go for the PHP version. Usually that's the one with HTML/CSS/JavaScript-Support.

Eclipse has improved quite a bit BTW

• Since i think it is documented that open source ideals in general produce poor performing software products, I think I will declare a user application being developed under such conditions as a possible anti-pattern?

I don’t think I have met any contributors to open source projects as the developers I talk to most are getting paid well to write good code....

well .... Except for one that owns a popular open source company and he takes peoples free contributions, vets it carefully with paid developers and testers who throws 60% away and fix up the remaining 40%.  He then sells the remaining 40% along with a supported closed license code base. The original 100% is still available as an open source download along side a rotten fork or the original code base.  It’s like a pyramid scheme where the lower step is dev time and add-on ideas instead of money? But he doesn't make a huge amount of money - it is a very modest company and relatively dull.

• @Rhywden said:

As another addendum: I just discovered that Jetbrains (the makers of RubyMine) also have an IDE purely for HTML/Javascript/CSS: http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

I've bookmarked it and will be checking it out.

• Regarding installing stuff to the wrong place, I know this is an ugly workaround, but would it make your life easier if you made links from D:\Users to C:\Users and C:\Users\Documents to M:? The software will still be wrong, but the reason you're using it isn't for its correct directory usage. If you want its editor features, they can still be had.

• @blakeyrat said:

But now that you have...I love corn dogs...letsee... google.... fair, concerts, ..Peter, Paul, but not Mary... Cheap Trick... AND corn dogs!!?? Are the corn dogs worth a trip from the East Coast?

• @blakeyrat said:

The question is, "if Git is so important to you, why didn't you just install it yourself?"

This user guide to installing Git on Windows might give you some insight into why they don't automatically install it: http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/

Note the combination of setup wizard, SSH key generation, and terminal jokeying.

• @The_Assimilator said:

Bitching at you for posting to TDWTF when the product is, undeniably, a WTF... way to foster contribution there.

He didn't really bitch, he said posting here was "really not necessary." Whatever that implies...

But hey, I'm fair: any program that presented to me 4 error dialogs, and 1 incomprehensible retarded dialog, that filled up my (admittedly limited) roaming app data space with 200 MB of shit that isn't roaming app data, all before I even interact with the program itself-- it'll end up here.

• @frits said:

This user guide to installing Git on Windows might give you some insight into why they don't automatically install it: http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/

Note the combination of setup wizard, SSH key generation, and terminal jokeying.

They made their Git bed, now they have to lie in it. Being too lazy to create a proper installer is still a bug.

• @blakeyrat said:

@frits said:

They made their Git bed, now they have to lie in it. Being too lazy to create a proper installer is still a bug.

I agree 100%.  They made the decision to jump on the Git bandwagon for who knows what dumb reason and now have a conundrum because it's not an easy installation.  Maybe they should make the Git-related features optional?

• @blakeyrat said:

@dohpaz42 said:

The polite thing for me is to provide my real name to their bug tracker when asked. The polite thing for you would have been to quietly ignore that. Etiquette is indeed dead.

Not that it's ever been hard to link my handle here to my real name, but that doesn't mean you say so.

Polite? That's the pot calling the kettle black.

The polite thing for you to have done when filing a bug report for Aptana Studio would not to have been condescending and rude. Sure, you're frustrated and upset - rightly so, despite Aptana Studio (and Eclipse) being "Open Source", they are "professional-quality" applications - but that doesn't give you license to tear into their developers. You can truly catch more flies with honey, especially in the OSS community. To contribute with bug reports means to work with the team to help them better understand the problem; politely offer suggestions for solutions. But no, you're blakeyrat, and you have to look down upon everybody that is not you.

So don't preach to me about etiquette; you get what you give, sir.

@blakeyrat said:

Aptana has decided that the "best" solution is to prompt the user for their profile location on first run! Cripes. They just do not care, do they. At all.

I would rather be prompted for my preference of workspace location than have a program assume it for me. Zend Studio assumes this, and they always assume wrong. It's not because they haven't guessed a generally-acceptable location, but because they did not guess the specifically-acceptable location for my tastes. So then I have to go into the preferences, delete their assumption, check a box to prompt me on start up, and then restart Eclipse. After I've chosen my location, and checked the box to never ask me again, I then have to go down to the filesystem and delete their wrong assumption; all of this versus just asking me the first time that I run the app. Which is more of a time saver?

Go ahead and argue that I may be an edge case, and that the majority of users will gladly accept the program's default assumption. You may be right; you may not be right. There is no good way to know this for certain. They made a design decision that they felt was correct; of course not everybody is going to agree with it; you obviously don't. If anybody is wrong here, it is you for assuming that a freshly installed software is not going to need some sort of configuration the first time that you run it. You obviously are a power user, who has special needs (no sarcasm), with the capacity and ability to do things mere mortals could only dream of doing. Grow up already.

• @dohpaz42 said:

The polite thing for you to have done when filing a bug report for Aptana Studio would not to have been condescending and rude.

The sane thing would have been to not file a bug report at all. Since this is an open source project, bugs on the bug tracker will never be fixed anyway. (Although their developer actually read all three of them, putting it ahead of every other open source project I've filed bugs to except Mozilla.)

@dohpaz42 said:

Sure, you're frustrated and upset - rightly so, despite Aptana Studio (and Eclipse) being "Open Source", they are "professional-quality" applications - but that doesn't give you license to tear into their developers.

The program I looked at yesterday isn't even "free prize in a box of Cracker Jacks"-quality.

But the point is, those developers shipped the product, right? They took at look at it in its current state, and nodded, and said, "yes, this is the level of quality we were looking for. Let's release it!" So yes, yes I can blame the programmers-- they attached their name to this product, they chose to release it in its current buggy-ass state (and note that the "wrong folder paths" bug was in their bug tracker, and existed during their entire 2.x and 3.x releases.)

So yes, yes I can tear into them. If they don't want angry customers, perhaps they should release quality products.

@dohpaz42 said:

I would rather be prompted for my preference of workspace location than have a program assume it for me. Zend Studio assumes this, and they always assume wrong.

Probably because it's Java, and thus relying on the same retarded wrong behavior of the Java "user.home" variable.

@dohpaz42 said:

After I've chosen my location, and checked the box to never ask me again, I then have to go down to the filesystem and delete their wrong assumption; all of this versus just asking me the first time that I run the app. Which is more of a time saver?

The difference is the wrong location that Aptana chooses breaks my computer. Specifically, it fills up the small partition reserved for roaming app data, denying access to other applications that (legitimately) need to store files there. Zend might do the same thing on my computer; I dunno. But as-is, the two things we're talking about aren't comparable.

@dohpaz42 said:

There is no good way to know this for certain.

Holy shit, please tell me you're not responsible for any UI decisions ever if you honestly believe this.

@dohpaz42 said:

They made a design decision that they felt was correct; of course not everybody is going to agree with it; you obviously don't.

No they didn't. They made a design decision that was lazy, and demonstrably wrong. The Aptana developers were aware of the open bug against the "user.home" path; they posted it to the bug discussion. They knew it was the wrong path. They didn't fix it because they foolishly assumed Sun/Oracle gave a shit and would eventually fix it.

This doesn't have anything to do with "agreement". This is Aptana using a path that breaks many Windows features (network and internationalization), that makes wrong assumptions about the Windows environment, and that goes against Microsoft's documentation. It's not a "decision", it's a "bug". It's a bug they knew about, and chose not to fix for several years.

@dohpaz42 said:

You obviously are a power user, who has special needs (no sarcasm), with the capacity and ability to do things mere mortals could only dream of doing. Grow up already.

The program didn't work on my computer! I'm not an "anything user" because I never even got the chance to use it before it had totally hosed my system.

• @blakeyrat said:

@dohpaz42 said:
    The polite thing for you to have done when filing a bug report for Aptana Studio would not to have been condescending and rude.

The sane thing would have been to not file a bug report at all. Since this is an open source project, bugs on the bug tracker will never be fixed anyway. (Although their developer actually read all three of them, putting it ahead of every other open source project I've filed bugs to except Mozilla.)

But you did file a bug report. Would-a, could-a, should-a... My point is that you obviously cared enough to take the time to file a bug report. You made the investment into the product - regardless of the reason. So why would you want to sabotage your efforts by automatically offending people? You're only wasting your time, and ruining your reputation (yes, that is an assumption that you actually care about your reputation).

@blakeyrat said:

@dohpaz42 said:
    Sure, you're frustrated and upset - rightly so, despite Aptana Studio (and Eclipse) being "Open Source", they are "professional-quality" applications - but that doesn't give you license to tear into their developers.

The program I looked at yesterday isn't even "free prize in a box of Cracker Jacks"-quality.

I was hoping you'd telepathically know that the quotes around professional-quality implied sarcasm.

@blakeyrat said:

But the point is, those developers shipped the product, right? They took at look at it in its current state, and nodded, and said, "yes, this is the level of quality we were looking for. Let's release it!" So yes, yes I can blame the programmers-- they attached their name to this product, they chose to release it in its current buggy-ass state (and note that the "wrong folder paths" bug was in their bug tracker, and existed during their entire 2.x and 3.x releases.)

So yes, yes I can tear into them. If they don't want angry customers, perhaps they should release quality products.

Because you've never - ever - released a product that was 100% bug-free, and you've never - ever - made stupid mistakes? I call bullshit.

@blakeyrat said:

@dohpaz42 said:
    I would rather be prompted for my preference of workspace location than have a program assume it for me. Zend Studio assumes this, and they always assume wrong.

Probably because it's Java, and thus relying on the same retarded wrong behavior of the Java "user.home" variable.

Really, you could have just stopped after writing "Probably because it's Java". There is no need to give examples; Java - IMO - is bloatware and is abused to the point that it's Pure Evil™. You won't get a counter-argument from me about that.

@blakeyrat said:

@dohpaz42 said:
    After I've chosen my location, and checked the box to never ask me again, I then have to go down to the filesystem and delete their wrong assumption; all of this versus just asking me the first time that I run the app. Which is more of a time saver?

The difference is the wrong location that Aptana chooses breaks my computer. Specifically, it fills up the small partition reserved for roaming app data, denying access to other applications that (legitimately) need to store files there. Zend might do the same thing on my computer; I dunno. But as-is, the two things we're talking about aren't comparable.

The biggest problem with OSS is the lack of resources for proper testing. This is most true for projects that are not backed by a single entity - like Microsoft, for example, who has an [assumed] R&D budget that would put Warren Buffet's monthly salary to shame (another assumption, but for dramatic effect). I could be a pedantic dickweed (we know how much you love those) and remind you that Microsoft keeps changing their directory structure between versions, and that it is a burden to many developers (as you've so indirectly implied in many recent threads) to keep up with these distinctions. Is that an excuse? Yes. It is justifiable? Probably not (as I'm sure you'll be more than happy to point out). It is what it is. You have the power to help them fix this problem, but you'd rather belittle them for it instead.

@blakeyrat said:

@dohpaz42 said:

Holy shit, please tell me you're not responsible for any UI decisions ever if you honestly believe this.

Explain.

@blakeyrat said:

@dohpaz42 said:
    You obviously are a power user, who has special needs (no sarcasm), with the capacity and ability to do things mere mortals could only dream of doing. Grow up already.

The program didn't work on my computer! I'm not an "anything user" because I never even got the chance to use it before it had totally hosed my system.

Waaaah! Shit happens. Let me sound like a broken record again: you could help them fix it, but you'd rather treat them like shit - almost guaranteeing that they will not fix it, and ignore you in the future - instead of helping them help you.

• @dohpaz42 said:

Because you've never - ever - released a product that was 100% bug-free, and you've never - ever - made stupid mistakes? I call bullshit.

There is a difference between a bug we don't know about and a bug that has been known for years and not fixed.  The first happens to everybody, the second is plain shoddy work.

@dohpaz42 said:

like Microsoft, for example, who has an [assumed] R&D budget that would put Warren Buffet's monthly salary to shame (another assumption, but for dramatic effect).

Not as big as people think

@dohpaz42 said:

Waaaah! Shit happens. Let me sound like a broken record again: you could help them fix it, but you'd rather treat them like shit - almost guaranteeing that they will not fix it, and ignore you in the future - instead of helping them help you.

This is backward thinking, they are the ones with the shitty product, they should be able to handle an angry customer.  If they ignore a user complain because the user is pissed with reason then they have no bussiness as professionals

Ohh, and I don't think blakey cares about his reputation that much, I mean who does?

• @dohpaz42 said:

But you did file a bug report. Would-a, could-a, should-a... My point is that you obviously cared enough to take the time to file a bug report. You made the investment into the product - regardless of the reason. So why would you want to sabotage your efforts by automatically offending people? You're only wasting your time, and ruining your reputation (yes, that is an assumption that you actually care about your reputation).

I don't think about "reputation." Other people are welcome to think whatever they like about me. I can't control that anyway, so there's no point in trying. And from experience, when I try to change my behavior to "fit in with the community" better, it ends up just making things worse. In the immortal words of Pop-Eye, "I yam what I yam."

@dohpaz42 said:

You're missing the point entirely.

1) If I did release a product with such obvious bugs, yes, I would fully expect customers to rant at me and hold me accountable for any data/time loss the software created. Because I am a professional. (No sarcasm quotes that time.)

2) But I'd never release a product with such obvious bugs. That's not to say I'd never release a buggy product, or that I'd never release a product with a hidden bug that causes much more damage than this bug in Aptana; but I'd never release a product with a bug this obvious.

3) Unlike most people releasing Windows software, I actually know how Windows works. I assume part of the reason the developers of Aptana chose to release the product despite this bug that they do not know how Windows works, and even knowing that the Java bug existed, they didn't have the imagination to infer the potential impact of that flaw on Windows. (I mean, if you know how Windows works, the potential for denial-of-service like I experienced should have been obvious. Assuming you spent more than a few seconds actually thinking about the bug.)

@dohpaz42 said:

I could be a pedantic dickweed (we know how much you love those) and remind you that Microsoft keeps changing their directory structure between versions, and that it is a burden to many developers (as you've so indirectly implied in many recent threads) to keep up with these distinctions.

1. Aptana has a hard-coded name of "My Documents", which is wrong no matter how far back in the NT line you go. It was wrong in NT4, wrong in Windows 2000, wrong in Windows XP, wrong in Vista, and now it's wrong in Windows 7. Microsoft has always localized that folder name.

2) If developers were using the Windows API correctly, Microsoft could rename those directories every 15 minutes and it wouldn't matter. If developers are encountering bugs related to the names of those folders, their applications were already broken. Microsoft didn't "create" the bug, it only exposed the existing bug.

3) For some reason I'm obsessed with typing lists this morning. Forgive me.

@dohpaz42 said:

You have the power to help them fix this problem, but you'd rather belittle them for it instead.

I did help them.

@dohpaz42 said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @dohpaz42 said:

Explain.

Because if you were responsible for UI decisions, I'd hope to God you were aware of things like interviewing users, or querying product feature usage data. If you're responsible for UI decisions and you honestly can't think of a way to answer the question, "how many users change the default project path?" then you should quit, immediately.

@dohpaz42 said:

you could help them fix it,

I did help them fix it.

@dohpaz42 said:

but you'd rather treat them like shit - almost guaranteeing that they will not fix it, and ignore you in the future - instead of helping them help you.

The bug I reported is a bug regardless of how rude I was. (Or how rude they perceive I was.) If they give a shit, they'll fix it. If they don't, they won't. So it goes.