Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• Step 1 build your hoard:
    ===============

It's best keep copies of your knowledge in the lowest format possible. Text, jpg pics, mpg video, mp3 audio etc
    Then you don't have to drag around copies of the proprietary software that goes with it.

Do many of your notes at home and bring them to the office (keep the latest version)
    As well make lots of notes at work, doing screen captures of important functions and details.
    Document the important know-how that you brought to the Company.
    For knowledge co-workers have shared with you (add that to your hoard)
    Gather pictures from the company picnic or evenings out. Always take pictures of key whiteboard details.

By Hoarding all the important details you now have something to share!

If you are in a non-sharing environment. (no copies allowed) Then keep even more notes at home (and
    email those to the office) use a digital camera or camcorder to secure the other info you need. Or have
    a more gutsy co-worker do the copies for you.

Sharing knowledge is about opening this valuable hoard to others.
    There would be no point in backing it up and keeping the files current, without a personal copy.

For the most part, I very seldom used company notes and screen captures once I left.
    It was probably the fact that I referenced them lots and depended on the info so much that I 
    wanted a copy on leaving. The main thing is the staff that remained had it.

How to share knowledge using Swamp search:
    =============================

This app makes it easy for everyone to organize their data. It can also play random samples of
    my: Video, Music, Pics and text. This helps me stay familiar with my own data hoard.

Archiving video, photo or audio files requires 2 text lines. The first contains the details
    and the second line is the path to the file. ie "c:\search\myvid023.mpg" or c:\search\mypic03328.mpg
    Even if this search was no longer available, the above data would still be valuable and easy to get at.

To share knowledge you have to show it off. I used it to display random screen captures, when co-workers
    drop by. Set it to play from a USB drive. If staff like it. Give it to them.

Examples of sharing:
    =============
    We cataloged 5000+ family album pictures in the late 1990's then burned copies, set to auto display and gave
    copies to family members, media. A local magazine published the "Oldie" black and white pics a few times.

If I was scanning those pictures today. I'd probably use a camcorder to video them in. Going picture
    to picture, zooming in on the details and explaining who was who.

I did 2000+ screen captures and many notes during a 10 month span of doing telco billing system conversions...

I have photos and scans of my media attention since the early 80's (at my fingertips ready to share)

Knowledge sharing is retricted due to a number of factors. Don't let that scare or stop you.

There is no reason not to hoard and share your family data. Just do it.

• C'mon, c'mon...don't keep us in suspense. What is Step 2?!?!?!?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Oh. Fuck.

• @PJH said:

Oh. Fuck.

My response as well.  Part of me wants to leave him to play with the new guys, but part of me wants to lock this thread immediately.  Thoughts?

• @bstorer said:

My response as well.  Part of me wants to leave him to play with the new guys, but part of me wants to lock this thread immediately.  Thoughts?

Naah - he was the best fun we've had for ages - the only reason I registered originally was so I could be a part of that legendary thread. (I was kinda hoping LING! was going to replace him, but was sadly disappointed...)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Benn said:

@bstorer said:
    Naah - he was the best fun we've had for ages - the only reason I registered originally was so I could be a part of that legendary thread.
    Well after 6 hours of the OP, the general reaction to it (apart from mine) appears to be 'meh!'

Leave it open - it doesn't look like it's going to be the epic the previous ones were.

(last words, and all that...)

And even if it does kick off, from previous MO, it'll all be contained in one thread. (Easier to SwampSearch and all that....)

• @bstorer said:

@PJH said:

Oh. Fuck.

Thoughts?  "Please god no, not another 45-page thread full of the lamest flames known to mankind."  A massive group clusterfuck where everyone beats up on some poor sad mentally ill nobody is not really very illuminating even at the best of times.  There's Usenet for that.

• My immediate reaction? Yay, he's back! But well, I doubt he can bring us something new.

Oh, and: what the hell was his OP about? I mean I did read most of it, but I don't get what he means by sharing. It's like he's just talking about what he used to talk about, but throw in some more buzzwords.

Hey, SpectateSwamp, there's this new hype called clouds. I think it is about video taping clouds and share them (or search them, making screen captures and all that). Can you tell me more about clouds? Does SwampSearch do it now, too?

• @DaveK said:

A massive group clusterfuck where everyone beats up on some poor sad mentally ill nobody is not really very illuminating even at the best of times.  There's Usenet for that.

QFT.

• Garbage Person

@derula said:

Oh, and: what the hell was his OP about?
    The first part looks a lot like a guide to industrial espionage to me.

And what the hell, didn't someone assassinate him the last time around? Which mod is sockpuppeting?

• Hmmm.... is this guy just looking for his own wikipedia entry for trolling? Maybe he wants SSDS to be theDailyWTF's "Chocolate Rain"?

• No no, look, it’s so much more than that—he’s using stegonography! You just have to know the key, and then what he’s saying becomes very clever.

I hope.

• I think someone cracked his password, used some web page to generate gibberish around the word "hoard", and pasted it, just for the F of it. It's so ungrammatical, it can't have been written by a native English speaker, and SpectateSwamp is supposed to be a Yank, right? Or this is an extensive prank set up by a collective of hackers and writers that will publish SpectateSwamp's (SS, suspicious abrreviation) pseudo-autobiography in post-modern style when they have gathered enough. If that's the case, I predict the words "alienation" and "isolation" to appear frequently in the reviews, and how the Internet as an open virtual world seems to close the real world around us, creating a schizogenic identity crisis, or similar litcrit.

• @TGV said:

It's so ungrammatical, it can't have been written by a native English speaker, and SpectateSwamp is supposed to be a Yank, right?

No, he's Canadian.

• Sharing Knowledge is power

@morbiuswilters said:

@TGV said:

It's so ungrammatical, it can't have been written by a native English speaker, and SpectateSwamp is supposed to be a Yank, right?

No, he's Canadian.

Can't spell can't read. Maybe I'm dislexic...                                                                                                                                                                    the first line reads "It's best keep" and should be "It's best to keep"

Anyway this is thread is about sharing. Being a bunch of spellcheckie picky chickens, that only share snippits of bad code. I shouldn't expect any brave brave stories on how you risked it all by stealing and sharing inside info. As non-swampies, many of you still don't have the tools to share like a champ.

I've been keeping and sharing for years. Sometimes it requires that we obtain things without permission. We know everybody in IT has STOLE code. We can all expect jail time. I'll brush up my spelling while incarcerated. (Now you have me scared of using big words without checking) It's too slow to be grammatically correct....

What is the greatest code snippit I have ever shared. Other than swamp search?? I'll let you know.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

What is the greatest code snippit I have ever shared. Other than swamp search?? I'll let you know.

We are definitely looking forward to that. It would be great if somebody started sharing code for free, such a novelty idea! And you are right, we are facing jail time.
    Remember the last time Linus tried it with SCO?

Anyway you seem to have changed your stylistics, but it could be that you are just taking more weed.

• Sounds very interesting, we're getting tired of Google where I work, and it's causing me problems at home too.

What is your planned pricing structure or haven't you got that far yet?

• @SQLDave said:

C'mon, c'mon...don't keep us in suspense. What is Step 2?!?!?!?

Step 2: "add a noodle and JAM IT!" (I'd expect)

• @bstorer said:

I saw the name and wanted it to be funny, but it just isn't.  Basically it seems to be a clip-show of his old schtick based around the new buzzword "hoard".  Weak effort.  I say lock it.

• First thing I thought was "who bumped this old crap?" Then I remembered that this is an American site using the retarded date system and it was actually a brand new post.

Then a part of me died inside.

• @Thief^ said:

First thing I thought was "who bumped this old crap?" Then I remembered that this is an American site using the retarded date system and it was actually a brand new post.

"7 Nov 2009" ? Perhaps you forgot to set your preferences?

• @Zecc said:

@Thief^ said:

First thing I thought was "who bumped this old crap?" Then I remembered that this is an American site using the retarded date system and it was actually a brand new post.

On mine it comes out as  "Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:41 AM".  Pretty unambiguous if you ask me.  And I don't recall ever changing my settings.

He must have his preferences set to "retard."

• @Aaron said:

@Zecc said:

@Thief^ said:

On mine it comes out as  "Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:41 AM".  Pretty unambiguous if you ask me.  And I don't recall ever changing my settings.

He must have his preferences set to "retard."

I set mine to the only real format: YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM.  Unfortunately, CS doesn't give you the option of using 24-hour time.

• Hey SS, old SS-haters, old SS-lovers, and those new to the wonder that is our Canadian Stone Dancer.

Don't forget to visit TSMoE.  Your mother will love you for it.

Does anyone else think that he's been spending the last year and a half developing this hoard?@SpectateSwamp said:

Something tells me this guy's hoard is like a dumpster.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You might want to come up with a better name for it, as "hoarding" often implies hiding and protecting something of value from everyone who might want it (think about a dragon's hoard) and is essentially the opposite of sharing.

PS.  Has anyone ever determined whether SS ever got laid in his life?

• @belgariontheking said:

Don't forget to visit TSMoE.

HOLY CRAP. You have to be kidding me. This site is great.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Just do it.

Spectate, where have you been for so long? We missed you!

• 🚽 Regular

@SwampLing said:

Clearly he's been spending the past year combining all of the posts from his previous adventure in TDWTF forums into his 1 TeraByte text file so that he can search the posts and DisPlay them RANDOMly.

• @SpectateSwamp said:
    You might want to come up with a better name for it, as "hoarding" often implies hiding and protecting something of value from everyone who might want it (think about a dragon's hoard) and is essentially the opposite of sharing.

Isn't compulsive hoarding a psychological disorder of some sort?

• Companies want you to share. But not visa versa

@RayS said:

Sounds very interesting, we're getting tired of Google where I work, and it's causing me problems at home too.

What is your planned pricing structure or haven't you got that far yet?

No pricing, sharing is free. Anything you find with Google should be fair game for sharing. Right? 

• No guts == No sharing

@viraptor said:

@SQLDave said:

C'mon, c'mon...don't keep us in suspense. What is Step 2?!?!?!?

Step 2: "add a noodle and JAM IT!" (I'd expect)

More like get a spine then GOTO Step 1 (screen capture details for your stash)

C'mon c'mon share.

• BelgarionTheSwamp shares

@belgariontheking said:

Don't forget to visit TSMoE.  Your mother will love you for it.

Does anyone else think that he's been spending the last year and a half developing this hoard?@SpectateSwamp said:

Good start at sharing BTS. Now make your momma proud and scrape together your family history. Sharing is fun fun fun.

@belgariontheking said:

BTS there are things only (social) Tramps share. I hope your momma doesn't find out.

•  Anybody else ever notice that the strongest proponents to sharing often have the least amount of useful things to contribute?

• Hoarding fills empty disk

@SwampLing said:

Cool handle. I've started the odd dumb thread here and there. ie

Will disk space remain forever empty?

• Random hoard

@RHuckster said:

Clearly he's been spending the past year combining all of the posts from his previous adventure in TDWTF forums into his 1 TeraByte text file so that he can search the posts and DisPlay them RANDOMly.

With a really big hoard, random is the key.

• Missed hoarding opportunity

@Nyquist said:

Isn't compulsive hoarding a psychological disorder of some sort?

Some hoarding can be destructive. Ie filling up your living room with junk. Hoarding data doesn't show outwardly. Being compulsive about storing can be a benefit in the long run.

Missed opportunity.

Years back. During a slow time between system conversions. I spent time flowcharting the billing / daily billing functions of the system. I didn't make copies at the time. it consisted of 4 or 5 nicely layed out pages, as an overview to these functions. There were about 8 or 10 programs involved. Returning a few months later. I found that the flowcharts were replaced with detailed line for line flowcharts (nearly 100 pages)

They found all the important programs alright. but line for line flowcharts are worse than useless. I should have grabbed a copy right away.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

No pricing, sharing is free. Anything you find with Google should be fair game for sharing. Right? 

Welcome comrade!

• Sharing is about listening too

@Master Chief said:

Anybody else ever notice that the strongest proponents to sharing often have the least amount of useful things to contribute?

No. I haven't noticed that.

I have noticed that those who don't listen, seldom have anything to share. So we tend to ignore them.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I want this on a bumper sticker.  People will have their minds shut down completely when they try to figure it out.  They'll forget they're operating a vehicle and wind up plowing into my car.  I'm gonna make a fortune on the insurance law suits.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@RHuckster said:

I like the idea, the more useless information collected the longer finding anything useful will be. We have improved the SSDS search performance from O(n) to O(who the fuck knows) - this could give us the information we need in a million years or so when approaching the worst case scenario but might give us the correct information to questions we ask before we even know we need it. This could revolutionise computing as we know it!

• @Zecc said:

@Thief^ said:

[...] I remembered that this is an American site using the retarded date system [...]

I'm pretty sure I've never changed my preferences. I'd never set it to "retarded" on purpose. Checking my preferences now.

EDIT: My preferences claim it's set to "Day, Month Days Year (Thu, May 1 2003)", which just happens to be the first in the list, and both not what I'd choose and not what it's showing...

EDIT2: (hopefully) how come there is no option for "Day, Days Month Year" or "Daysth Month Year"

EDIT3: (wow) now when I open my preferences its on the option I'd chosen. Not sure what it was doing before.

• 🚽 Regular

@Thief^ said:

Not sure what it was doing before.

You hit backspace twice.

• @Thief^ said:

Your troll falls pretty flat, considering that SS disappeared well before July.

• @bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    I want this on a bumper sticker. People will have their minds shut down completely when they try to figure it out. They'll forget they're operating a vehicle and wind up plowing into my car. I'm gonna make a fortune on the insurance law suits.

snort

I'd have to graffiti 'Thats what she said' on the bottom of it.

• @belgariontheking said:

I remember a video where SpectateSwamp stole some stuff from a ruined shack he "found" out in the wild - 2 children jumped around who I thought called him daddy... But then again maybe my memory is tricking me.

• @derula said:

@belgariontheking said:

I remember a video where SpectateSwamp stole some stuff from a ruined shack he "found" out in the wild - 2 children jumped around who I thought called him daddy... But then again maybe my memory is tricking me.

I am scared.  If he got laid, that's fine, but I've yet to see evidence.  If he has kids, God help us all.

• Family pictures shared

Shared some photos today. Personal and family history is the most important long term info by far. Gather and catalog it with a passion.

A friend that I worked with in the late 70's emailed saying his dad died last week. I looked up "brown" in the family album and found 5 pics.

Most of them were taken on Rememberance day.  

@belgariontheking said:

If he has kids, God help us all.

The late 60's was the best of times. No major disease and far fewer rules. My kids would be old farts by now.

Sharing knowledge and sharing memories. It's easy to do.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

It's easy to do.

Please show us how.

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

It's easy to do, and it's better when done with proper apps, like desktop search (Google Desktop, Beagle, etc...), photo managers (Adobe Lightroom, iPhoto, digiKam, F-Spot are the ones I can recall right now). Or even with grep, as I have done in the past.

Not with your application that you proudly call "desktop search" even though it ISN'T.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I looked up "brown" in the family album and found 5 pics.

@SpectateSwamp said:

I could do this easily as well - I would type the word 'brown' into the little box on my start menu.  Is your way easier?

• @Renan_S2 said:

it's better when done with proper apps

Boy, you have [b]no[/b] idea how to play this game, do you?