Computers will begin freezing in 2012

• While the research may be sound and individual connections to the internet may in fact be slower and less reliable in 2012, it's hard to take this article seriously when it posesses such gems as

From 2012, however, PCs and laptops are likely to operate at a much reduced speed, rendering the internet an “unreliable toy”.
    Apparently Macs and Linux machines will be safe from the slowdown, as long as they are not laptops.

While the net itself will ultimately survive, Ritter said that waves of disruption would begin to emerge next year, when computers would jitter and freeze. This would be followed by “brownouts” – a combination of temporary freezing and computers being reduced to a slow speed
    Some people need to learn the difference between their computer and the internet.

• In 2012, computers will explode! Huge grids of telephone cables will start to burn, causing unstoppable fire spreads in all major cities!! Wireless signal overflow will cause skyscrapers to oscillate and collapse!!!

• WTF.

Supply and demand, seems he hasn't heard of the concept. On the other hand, maybe the internet is a magical commodity which should never cost money.

•  Clearly the author of this article is unaware that this whole scenario can be averted by the dancing of one lone nutjob in Canada and the power of his stones.

• @article said:

From 2012, however, PCs and laptops are likely to operate at a much reduced speed, rendering the internet an “unreliable toy”.

2012? No!

The breakdown started already!

My computer seems to get slower every day...

• Search Nemertes & AT&T.  This supposed think tank is an industry marketing group, and this study was underwritten by AT&T.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr/suckered-by-astroturf_b_73483.html

If anyone wants an industry award for their resume, check out Nemertes prices... something like this might be nice:http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25505

• @bugmenot1 said:

Great, another Windows user...

• Those idiots need to get a grip on reality.

By 2012, the internet would've increased capacity (is there even a capacity? other than IP limitations, but..) such that this shit wouldn't happen.

IPv6 wasn't even mentioned too. Hmm.

• One of the very rare cases where public comments below an article are better informed and more level headed than the professionally written piece; especially for a mainstream media page!

I think this has restored a little bit of my faith in humanity; while deepening my resentment for "news" media.

•  @AngelSL said:

By 2012, the internet would've increased capacity (is there even a capacity? other than IP limitations, but..) such that this shit wouldn't happen.

Or, if it hasn't for some reason, content providers will find ways to improve perceived throughput on the existing infrastructure: better image optimization, torrent-based distributed delivery, new video codecs that compress better than MPEG-4,  etc...

• While the net itself will ultimately survive, Ritter said that waves of disruption would begin to emerge next year, when computers would jitter and freeze.

What does that even mean? "Jitter?" How will a computer start to "jitter?" Will is start jumping back and forth between 2 web pages really quickly? WTF? Are they trying to say that video over the web will be choppy? What horrible writing.

•  I suppose it will jitter like a washing machine you know... thats what happens to computers apparently, in 2012.

• @dcardani said:

While the net itself will ultimately survive, Ritter said that waves of disruption would begin to emerge next year, when computers would jitter and freeze.

What does that even mean? "Jitter?" How will a computer start to "jitter?" Will is start jumping back and forth between 2 web pages really quickly? WTF? Are they trying to say that video over the web will be choppy? What horrible writing.

I think he's trying to liken it to a car sputtering and dying by the side of a road.  I'm sure he doesn't understand cars any better than he does computers.

• @dcardani said:

What does that even mean? "Jitter?" How will a computer start to "jitter?"
    He actually meant to say "jitterbug".  In 2012, computers will gain the ability to dance and a fondness for the jitterbug in particular, thus dooming us all to suffer through yet another swing revival.

• @derula said:

@bugmenot1 said:

Great, another Windows user...

Hilarious, nothing is funnier than jokes from 1998!  Quick, mention the BSOD!

• @fourchan said:

In 2012, computers will explode! Huge grids of telephone cables will start to burn, causing unstoppable fire spreads in all major cities!! Wireless signal overflow will cause skyscrapers to oscillate and collapse!!!

All because the Mayans didn't have the foresight to make their calendar go past 2012...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Lingerance said:

All because the Mayans didn't have the foresight to make their calendar go past 2012...

The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about December 21, 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation, yet is commonly referenced in pop-culture media as the 2012 problem.

• I found another article on huffpo that talks about something I didn't dig into in my OP

• @dabean said:

WTF.

Supply and demand, seems he hasn't heard of the concept. On the other hand, maybe the internet is a magical commodity which should never cost money.

That seems to be the opinion on Slashdot.

• @belgariontheking said:

I found another article on huffpo that talks about something I didn't dig into in my OP.

Huffington Post is anti-scientific, anti-intellectual garbage.  Maybe they're right about this situation, but I can't take them seriously after they started pushing the "MMR vaccinations cause autism" bullshit.

• @Lingerance said:

@fourchan said:
    In 2012, computers will explode! Huge grids of telephone cables will start to burn, causing unstoppable fire spreads in all major cities!! Wireless signal overflow will cause skyscrapers to oscillate and collapse!!!

I thought it wasn't so much that the calendar "ended" on 2012, but rather will start a new cycle (start over again). Kinda like if the future inhabatants of earth (the stupid ones at least) could think   ┓ 㕣

ᕣ

ᔣ
    	ᠥ (that's phonetic mind you) or 00:00 01/01/10000 might be a doomsday datetime.
    </p>

• Articles about the internet Rule #1:

Any article which uses the word "cyberspace" can safely be discarded as crap.

•  "Hi, tech support? My computer's running's slow"

"Did you turn it off and on again?"

"Yes"

"Is it 2012?"

"Yes?"

"Well, there's your problem"

• @DOA said:

"Hi, tech support? My computer's running's slow"

"Did you turn it off and on again?"

"Yes"

"Is it 2012?"

"Yes?"

"Well, there's your problem"

+1 Internets

• @morbiuswilters said:

I can't take them seriously after they started pushing the "MMR vaccinations cause autism" bullshit.
    MMR vaccinations will cause autism in 2012.

• @bstorer said:

Just in time for people to start voting in the next Presidential election.  This is clearly a ploy by the CDC to get a monkey elected President.  Again.

• @aesis said:

Search Nemertes & AT&T.  This supposed think tank is an industry marketing group, and this study was underwritten by AT&T.

Well, spreading FUD was always good for business. You just can't go wrong with "the sky is falling, the sky is falling! (but hey, what a coincidence, you can buy our sky-crash-proof premium product)". Now, the options seem a bit limited: terrorists are so passe, global warming ditto, but you can't miss with an apocalypse (think "Dancing Hampsters Endangered").

Also, another shot in the battle of net neutrality?

@bstorer said:

Just in time for people to start voting in the next Presidential election.  This is clearly a ploy by the CDC to get a monkey elected President.  Again.

Jimmy Carter may seem to have the intelligence of a primate, but he is actually human.  Surprising, I know.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@belgariontheking said:

I found another article on huffpo that talks about something I didn't dig into in my OP.

Huffington Post is anti-scientific, anti-intellectual garbage.  Maybe they're right about this situation, but I can't take them seriously after they started pushing the "MMR vaccinations cause autism" bullshit.

Don't forget the constant articles about new age quackery like homeopathy. And their apparent belief that acting in major Hollywood movies is a key qualification for writing opinion pieces. Also, a website layout that was created by an anthropomorphic computer vomiting html elements onto a document.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Jimmy Carter may seem to have the intelligence of a primate, but he is actually human.  Surprising, I know.

[Citation Needed]

• @Bumble Bee Tuna said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@belgariontheking said:

Don't forget the constant articles about new age quackery like homeopathy. And their apparent belief that acting in major Hollywood movies is a key qualification for writing opinion pieces. Also, a website layout that was created by an anthropomorphic computer vomiting html elements onto a document.

Jenny McCarthy said it, I believe it, that settles it.

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I can't take them seriously after they started pushing the "MMR vaccinations cause autism" bullshit.

Causing humans jittering and freezing which we will transfuse to our computers through internet hoses.

• @fourchan said:

Where's Roland Emmerich when you need him?

• This is the best bit, if you ask me:

@Idiot Writers said:

One exabyte is equivalent to 50,000 years’ worth of DVD-quality data.

I had no idea that

a) Data is measured in years

b) Data has different levels of quality

Hey, banking firms! How many years of DVD-quality data do you have in your databases? I'm enlightened to know that the textures and 3D models for the road segment I'm modeling for a simulation are 45 minutes big!

• @dtech said:

@Lingerance said:

@fourchan said:

I thought it wasn't so much that the calendar "ended" on 2012, but rather will start a new cycle (start over again). Kinda like if the future inhabatants of earth (the stupid ones at least) could think  

ᕣ

ᔣ
    	ᠥ (that's phonetic mind you) or 00:00 01/01/10000 might be a doomsday datetime.
    </p></blockquote>

(Hotlinked, sorry)

• @fourchan said:

http://www.fieldbrook.net/TechTips/images/computer_bomb.jpg

It just took them this long to learn how to properly do it, and they'll first demonstrate it in two years from now.

• @PeriSoft said:

This is the best bit, if you ask me:

@Idiot Writers said:

One exabyte is equivalent to
    50,000 years’ worth of DVD-quality data.

I had no idea that

a) Data is measured in years

b) Data has different levels of quality

Hey, banking firms! How many years of DVD-quality data do you have in your databases? I'm enlightened to know that the textures and 3D models for the road segment I'm modeling for a simulation are 45 minutes big!

Well, that kinda makes sense if you replace "data" with "video".

1 EB = 1000000000000000000 B (I'll just assume they mean the decimal exabyte)

50000 years = 1577880000000 s

Thus we get a rate of ~633761 B/s. A conventional DVD can store approximately 4700000000 B, which at that rate converts to ~7416 s, and that is 2:03:36 of video, which is basically a movie with maybe an extra thrown in. Seems they're not too far off.

• @Spectre said:

Well, that kinda makes sense if you replace "data" with "video".

1 EB = 1000000000000000000 B (I'll just assume they mean the decimal exabyte)

50000 years = 1577880000000 s

Thus we get a rate of ~633761 B/s. A conventional DVD can store approximately 4700000000 B, which at that rate converts to ~7416 s, and that is 2:03:36 of video, which is basically a movie with maybe an extra thrown in. Seems they're not too far off.

But... but... but... we're making fun of journalists!

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"] Oh they're gonna haf'ta glue you back togeder - IN HELL![/quote] 

That would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

• “Today people know how home computers slow down when the kids get back from school and start playing games, but by 2012 that traffic jam could last all day long.”

Yeah, obviously! ..... except.... wait, what?   Has anyone noticed the Internet slowing down when kids get home?  I ran an ISP for a while.  Peak time was aroung 6-9, not immediately after school.  Not to mention the whole "My computer doesn't slow down when the Internet slows down" thing.

• @notromda said:

“Today people know how home computers slow down when the kids get back from school and start playing games, but by 2012 that traffic jam could last all day long.”

Yeah, obviously! ..... except.... wait, what?   Has anyone noticed the Internet slowing down when kids get home?  I ran an ISP for a while.  Peak time was aroung 6-9, not immediately after school.  Not to mention the whole "My computer doesn't slow down when the Internet slows down" thing.

What time zone is that for?  Maybe in a different time zone the kids are home in time to cause that peak?

• I am bumping this post because it is 2012 and my computer is not slow yet.

Anyone using Windows?

• @Ben L. said:

I am bumping this post because it is 2012 and my computer is not slow yet.

Anyone using Windows?

Yes, and there's no jittering or slowing... in fact there's the opposite - no jittering and fastness.

It's a pity because I was looking forward to this swing revival.

•  It must be happening already, I tried to follow the link to the original story and hit a paywall. It must be their way of stopping all that excess traffic that's slowing down the computers

Apparently Macs and Linux machines will be safe from the slowdown, as long as they are not laptops.

I cannot view the original as it asks me to login, but is it (or are you) implying MacOS or Linux doesn't run on a PC? True, Apple does only allow a specific subset of x86-compatbile (or x86-64 nowadays?) hardware so it won't run (officially?) on all PC's, but they're still PC's?

•  No, Apple said in their commercials a few years ago that Macs are not PCs.

• @pnieuwkamp said:

but is it (or are you) implying MacOS or Linux doesn't run on a PC?

The article is - it's written by a well-read and informed journalist that uses "PC" to mean "Windows OS" (like game manufacturers do).

They've also created a relationship between application speed and available internet bandwidth.

•  Apple, when you say PC...

That is the natural state, the real trick would be to STOP a monkey geting elected :-)

• @Sir Twist said:

No, Apple said in their commercials a few years ago that Macs are not PCs.

I agree. Nothing you put on a Mac is personal. Apple knows about it all!

I have no mac hate, just Apple hate. But the same could be said for Facebook, probably Windows, etc...